Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teacherbeacon

Teacher with questions

teacherbeacon
14 years ago

To whom it may concern,

I am a high school teacher. Some students and I have a

research project we would like to do starting this spring and it involves Peonies. We wanted to talk to someone who is an expert in growing these plants who may be interested in giving us some advice.

Thanks

richard

Comments (7)

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

If you don't already have the peonies planted you can start the project now by planting. You do not give enough information on what your project involves to direct you to an expert. Can you give some information on what you are trying to do and the end you expect to receive?

Since it shows you are in New York you could direct your students to Cornell to do research.

• teacherbeacon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We are interested in studying the relationship of the ants on the plant and what they might do for the plant. We want to prevent the ants from getting to the flower area and to see what that would do.

Do you know of any Cornell Peonies people

Thanks

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

The ants are attracted to the sweet extrusions of the peony bud. The peony does as well with or without the ants. Al

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

What are the ages/grade of the students? Set them reading about peonies now not spring. I believe that the hardest part of this type of experiment would be keeping the ants off the buds without rotting the buds since ants can climb and coverings on buds can lead to rot.

I can see lots of problems and frustration trying to do this but then failing can be a good learning tool.

• teacherbeacon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maifleur,

Thanks for your response students are high school age.
    We saw a method used by a Harvard professor using a substance called tanglefoot. It is a stick substance that you put on a strip of flagging tape below the flower area.

Rich

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Tanglefoot might help but ants are smart and could find a way around it or put stuff on it.

There should be no difference between ants and no ants with peonies in your area. No scientific base but I believe that when peonies evolved, mostly in central asia, the original plants being in an area that received little rain the plants with the sweeter sap on the flowers attracted more ants to eat the substance so the flowers would open. When the flowers started moving into gardens people would select the plants with the least amount of ant attracting gunk. Over the centuries man has selectivly reduced the amount of sweet sap until the flowers can now open on their own. There are ants that do not eat sweets, another experiment.

One thing that is more subjective than anything is that we have had several years where the sweet eating ants have been few. In those years the peonies have opened fully but the flowers that had been heavily rained on with the sap amount being reduced opened beyond the point of fullness. The flowers almost formed a ball on the stem rather than showing the base of the flower.

Depending on where you are in New York there are several gardens that you could take your students to see. Cornell because their interest in plant development and their peony garden could be a source for your students. I do not know if they have speakers but if they do perhaps one could come to your school either for a class or public presentation on peonies. If public perhaps you could ask for small donations to offset the cost of the experiments.

• teacherbeacon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maifleur,

Thank you for your response.

We are on Long Island, NY

Richard

Sponsored