Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Might this be Sarah Bernardt? (pic)

The plant itself is bigger than the few others I have. It has 'huge' late blooms, is not fragrant, and the petals are fringed on the edges.

What do you think?

Sue

Comments (10)

• rian
    17 years ago

Hi Sue, in The Gardener's Peony, Martin Page writes that Sarah Bernhardt is fragrant, although Jane F-W doesn't mention fragrance in her book. A couple of sources that I've read mention that Sarah B, though a gorgeous flower, has weak stems. Is this true of yours? I guess that could be environmental anyway.

Sorry, I'm no help but I loved the picture. I think that I have a similar peony also unnamed. It's frustrating! Hopefully some who have a named Sarah will offer opinions. And pictures?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What I have seen, is that the blooms are so big, that the stems bend due to the heaviness of the bloom. I think I have read in one place that Sarah is fragrant, and in another there is no mention.

I received a nice start of Sarah at a swap meet last spring.

Hopefully it will bloom in 2007 that I can verify that they are the same...or not.

Maybe someone here will show us 'their' Sarah.

Do you know if your no name that is similar is fragrant?

Sue

• rian
    17 years ago

If I remember correctly it has a slight fragrance but I may have it mixed up--one of several moved from deep shade so I've only seen it bloom once. The flower probably isn't large enough to be a Sarah Bernhardt.

Next spring I'll take pictures and make an effort to identify the orphans.

• cdjr
    17 years ago

The descriptions and pictures given here might help. Scroll down the page to the Sarah Bernhardt entry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah Bernhardt

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Whatever it is, it's lovely. Only 6 more months and I can see the peonies blooming again.

• lemecdutex
    17 years ago

For some reason, that doesn't look quite right to be Sarah Bernhardt, which I've always thought was a lighter pink than that picture. Also, the shape doesn't seem quite right, it doesn't look as full as I think of SB. Yet, I'm no expert, and of course climate might play as much a role in color for peonies as it does in roses.

--Ron

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I got my SB from a big box store, so its provenence is suspect (it very well might not be the REAL 'Sarah B.'). For what it's worth, mine have smallish flowers (3-5" across), pale pink (lighter than yours, but never white), more strongly cupped and fuller in texture (a very dense double), little to no fragrance, about 30-34" tall, new foliage is dark red, and with a tendency to FLOP, especially in wet weather on open flowers. It's very pretty, vigorous, and a good increaser; quite nice as a cut flower, if you don't mind staking it in the garden.

Laurel

• milo_z7
    17 years ago

'Sarah Bernhardt' is a much softer pink, so if your picture shows the color correctly I'm pretty sure it's something else.

Pics of Sarah: and {{gwi:1145826}}.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My head is swimming after looking at so many Sarahs, and especially after I had to look at so many others at the site cdjr provided.

Here is their description.

Lemoine, 1906) - Double - Pink - Late. Medium height. Fragrant, but not especially so. Very large. Dark rose-pink, edged a trifle lighter, with inconspicuous red edges on a few central petals, and an occasional golden yellow anther in the collar; Floriferous; strong steins. Good foliage. M....so mine fits that

Somewhere else described the petals as having white tips, so I will watch for that too in more mature blooms. My pics shows just a little white.

My pic is a new bloom, not fully opened. I'm wondering if after it opens it will look more like Milo's Sarah.

I guess next season, I will compare it with my new (supposed to be) Sarah, and take pics of the bloom at different stages.

Thank you all for you help.

I really enjoyed all the pics.

Sue

• judyefd
    17 years ago

Milo, are those Sarahs from your garden?? They are GORGEOUS!! Just as I remember them from my mother's garden. Makes me wonder why I don't grow that variety myself. ;-D

Sue, your peony is also stunning. I just don't think it's Sarah Bernhardt.

So many peonies...so little space!
    Judye

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations