Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anni55

will unplanted peony survive?

anni55
16 years ago

I recently relocated from Cape Cod to Missouri. My mother's peony went with me to the east coast & thrived well there. I followed the same method to bring it back with me to Missouri. I dug up the plant as far from the main stems as possible & still be able to lift it. The plant/tublers is about 12-16 inches deep. I placed it in a plastic bag inside of a large plastic bucket. However, there has been a delay in getting it planted. The weather here has been frightfully cold. My first attempt was thwarted by a solid bed of rocks after I had dug only about 8 inches. I was told the back yard was going to be excavated with in a day or 2, due to septic tank issues, that was 3 days ago! I thought it would be a good idea to let them dig up the rocks, that way I could make sure the soil surrounding the plant was as rock free as possible. I wanted it located at the back as I live in the appartment in the basement & the only windows face the back of the house, a N to NE exposure, no shade till afternoon.

My problem is, when I removed the plant from the bucket on my first attempt, there were pinkish sprouts forming. I've kept the bucket in the garage with the lid partially over it. We now have snow!! How long will it survive in the bucket in the garage? Is there anything I can do if I can't get it planted right away to insure it's survival? It's been in the bucket since Nov 18. This plant was a mother's day gift to my mom, who passed on in 2000. I'd really like it to make it! Thank you for your suggestions in advance!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor