Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter mulch

Posted by oscarthecat z7MD (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 18, 06 at 15:42

For years we have debated this: throw a shovel full of mulch over each plant or let them tuff it out? Steve in Baltimore County.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter mulch

I usually mulch them some to keep any weeds seeds from germinating anyway in the middle of the plant/bush.

My newly planted ones may get some extra mulch, as the dirt has settled and the roots are exposed more then I would like. They'll get more soil if I get out there as I should and do it b4 all is frozen and useless.

Sue

o

Newly planted herbaceous always get a mulch for first
winter after that they fend for themselves. I currently
have 102 in my collection and have never lost one.
I do a walk in the early spring to check for heaving and
cover any that may be pushing a little too soon.

o

Steve,

Instead of mulch on top of the plants - you might want to mix wood ashes (from fire place) and fall leaves and place them on top of the plant. Too much mulch might encourage rodents and diseases.

o

• Posted by enart 5 ONTARIO (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 3:38

I use leaves to mulch my peonies, and I have had them for 10 years. I do cut back the stems in fall and this keeps them from getting mushy and diseased. Also remember that if you are splitting them at any time, they do not like that, and they will regress for about 2 seasons, then they will come back.

Ena Clewes

Here is a link that might be useful: home

o

In northern zones, there is no need to give special attention to peonies.
The big enemy is the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw cycles that happen and cause the uplifting of the plant.
Usually though, no mulching is needed as long as you have reasonable snow cover.

But, in zone 7 Maryland, the mulching is not only recommended, its a must because of the milder winters where the upheaving is more likely.

Old hay/straw is I think a better mulch than wood chips which can put more dampness in contact with the crown.
But straw does pose a problem if mice might think to nest in it.
A ring of lime around the straw should deter that.
Lime of course, can be given peony....as wood ashes from a good source, can also. Wood ashes should be remembered to be watered in well in spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here