Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fernleaf Peony difficult from seed???

Posted by betty1822 z6Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 27, 08 at 16:26

Can someone tell me if they have had success growing fernleaf peonies from seed. I purchased a plant a few years ago but it must have beem too wet that winter and it didn't some up in the spring. They are expensive to buy but if the seeds aren't too difficult to grow I might try. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fernleaf Peony difficult from seed???

Good question. Does anyone have p. tenuifolia seeds?

o

• Posted by peonyman Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 31, 08 at 0:05

I grow a good number of P. tenuifolia plants. I have double red, a couple of forms of single red and plants of pink single. So far I have never had a seed to set. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I know they do make seed, just not for me.

Leon.

o

hi, the double fernleaf won't produce seed. you should get seed from the single. you may have to hand pollenate it. ralfs mom

o

Hello

I just purchased Fernleaf Peonies ( Paeonia Tenuifolia) seeds and they included the seeding process as well and here it is.

Place seed in moist vermiculte in plastic bag, place in warm area of the house out of the sun, when the roots appear move to refrigerator 40F) for 10-12 weeks, transplant when shoots arise, to warmth and sun.

I have not started yet because I would rather get a second oppinion, these seeds are $1.50 each

o

Your instructions sound accurate (my experience is mostly with tree peonies).Supposedly, peony seeds should not be allowed to dry after they are collected, so you should get yours into moistened peat asap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here