Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New plants for the new year

Posted by peonyman Zone 5 Lawren (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 16:41

This time of the year plant and seed catalogs begin to arrive. It makes a nice winter break to look through the offerings for the new year.

Today I noticed that Songsparrow Nursery updated their website. They have a Daphnis tree peony offered that I have never seen anywhere offered before. I think Oread is an amazing flower. This is an exciting plant and one of Nassos Daphnis most recent registered tree peonies.

Leon

Oread

Songsparrow website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sad News

As I was writing the above message I decided to check to see if I could find any information on how Nassos Daphnis is doing. I knew he was getting well in age. I found that Nassos Daphnis died on Nov. 23rd 2010 in Provincetown, Mass. He was 96.

Nassos has done so much work in his life to further the hybridization of American tree peonies. That work began with A.P. Saunders and continued with Bill Gratwick. The peony community will miss this great person.

Leon

o
RE: New plants for the new year

I received an email from Frank Moro in Quebec. He normally sells all kinds of lilacs but he also has many intersectionals that I have not seen before. He lists as 2-3 eye for most so it appears he grows them out for a while.

Sorry, Leon, I thought that you had received Walter Good's email. In it he mentioned that a collection of Daphnis's plants was to be started in europe somewhere. You might want to email him to see what cultivars are available.

The prices for peonies this year if you go by regular plants will be much higher.

o

By all accounts, Nassos Daphnis was a great and humble man.
One of his accomplishments was the restoration of fertility to the hybrid tree peonies, a gift which should not be neglected.

o

Dave,

Good point. Much of Daphnis' early work was based on two of Saunder's F1 lutea hybrids which showed some fertility. The plants were not worthy of garden use so they were never registered however the ability for early lutea hybrids to be used to derive successive generations was important. Late in Saunders hybridizing career he realized that more work needed to be done with these two plants. He passed plants on to Bill Gratwick who did some work with them also.

I have looked for these plants to work with but have been unable to find either of them. They are no longer grown at Linwood Gardens. As I recall Saunders labeled them F1-A and F1-B.

Leon

o

Some of Prof. Saunders plants went to Dr Reath, so the F1s might possibly be at reaths nursery in the UP.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here