Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
russellmuegge

Tree Peonies

russellmuegge
17 years ago

I have several tree peonies. Last spring some did not bloom, and they had bloomed the previous spring. Is there anything I can do to correct the problem. Also I would apreciate any leads on where to buy tree peonies at a reasonable price. Thank you for your help.

Comments (5)

• iowa_jade
    17 years ago

I really can't anwser your first question, other than I have a climbing hydrangea that has the same problem. It might have something to do with our sometimes prolonged January thaws that mess with their minds.

If you have a few tree peonies you realize that it takes a great deal of time for the grower to produce a product that will make you a happy bird and you might resign yourself to the fact that these are expensive plants for a very good reason. I would stay away from importers if you live in zone 5 as it is hard for them to get it to you in the proper planting season in the fall. There have been several good sources listed here. The main thing is that they grow the plants in the americas for a year or two before shipping.

http://www.treepeonygarden.com/index.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Cricket Hill

• chinesetreepeony.com
    17 years ago

Hi,

Can you tell us what is the size of your plant? If the source is one of the big box stores - then they are not old enough to bloom. Most tree peonies will not bloom until they are about 3 years old.

You are welcome to visit our website for more information. If you are in the area, you will have several opportunities to see our products in person.

Best,

L.T.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Tree Peony

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

chinesetreepeony,

Welcome to Garden Web.

I'm sorry to say that posting a link to your site, and having it as a link on your member page is in violation of the rules here.

You may want to remove it from your page at least. Members are 'usually' warned b4 being banned (I think) for illegally advertising here at GW.

Sue

• jeannie7
    17 years ago

Tree peonies should NOT be fertilized; it encourages suckering from the base of the plant.

Russell, do you give your tree peony winter protection?

If tree peony shoots are coming straight out of the lawn advice is to not prune this off.
    The peony does not have a graft so this cannot be considered a sucker.

Remove suckers or else tree will revert to its root stock
    Tree peonies are hardy to lower zones but some winter protection in these zones is advised. Put a wood stake collar around them with burlap. They can be dug up completely if wished and buried in a trench wholly.

Do not feed tree peony fertilizer. They perform much better flowering when not fed.
    Fertilizing toward the heavy side can cause them to perform poorly in flower production.

If you cant get them into the ground, put it into bushel basket full of triple mix....
    put the basket into the garage....water it but donÂt drown it.
    donÂt let it get completely dry
    Late April, it can be re-planted when the soil is well workable. Or wait until mid May to have more assurance.

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

You may fertilize at any time of the year just make certain that the first number of the formulation is smaller than the rest. I have over 75 tree peonies and when I do remember to fertilze I use the standard 10-10-10 or 5-10-10 in grandular form. I personally do not believe in using foliage feeds such as Miracle Grow.

Tree peonies take time to mature. Even the own root plants are young and will take time. Depending on the type of tree peony you may not see another bloom for a couple of years.

Freezing of the buds should be considered a possible reason for the no bloom. To help prevent this provide shade for the plant. Some tps will warm up too soon if in direct sun. Providing a screen of some type between the plant and sun will help prevent this.

Another possiblity is something like deer eating the buds. Are your leaves coming from the end of the stem or from the side. If the side something has destroyed the bloom buds.