Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggiegrad

peony seeds on e~bay

aggiegrad
16 years ago

I did some searching on e~bay last night, & I found a seller that had some peony seeds up for buy it now auctions. would they be worth the money to bid on? they range in price from $2.00 to almost 10.00 for seeds. how hard is it to grow peonies from seed. my only experience has been with iris seeds, which do pretty good for me. I did try some lily seeds once, but, they didn't do anything. I may have planted them incorrectly. I didn't get any instructions with them. anyway, would any of you give these seeds a try? or are they not worth the time? I'm tempted to go bid on them, but not if they are going to take a long time to do anything. thanks for any replies I may get from ya'll.

Comments (2)

• peonyman
    16 years ago

Aggiegrad,

Those prices do seem to be a bit high. Especially considering that it is as late in the season as it is. The seeds have probably dried out by now. It is best to plant both herbaceous and tree peony seeds as soon as the pods begin to open. If planted now I suspect the dried seeds will wait to sprout in the fall of 2008 amd then send up their first leaves in spring of 2009. It should take 3-8 years from that when you see your first blooms. I have only had one seedling that bloomed in 3 years. The batch I am trying to grow now looks like they are going to be closer to 8 years for me. I have a friend that did get a tree peony to bloom in 3 years, I am wondering what kind of magic he uses. I also had one herbaceous peony that bloomed in 3 years however as with every other herbaceous peony I have grown from seed it has proven itself not garden worthy so I will remove the plant this fall and use its roots as grafting understock. You have a much better chance of getting something garden worthy if you plant tree peony seeds.

I am trying to remember how much we sold tree peony seeds for when I collected and sold them several years ago. I think the price was $2.00 for a pack of 25-30 seeds.

If you have a friend with a tree peony I would think he or she would share seeds with you as soon as the pods begin to open at the end of this next summer. If planted quickly they should still sprout in the fall and you should see your first leaves the following spring 2009.

Leon

• gwpal
    16 years ago

The American Peony Society has a seed exchange for members. It is a wonderful way to get access to many seeds(
    tree, species and herbacious) at a reasonable cost. You get the addded benefit of lots of good information. For a limited time they are offering 100 mixed seeds to new members who join via the web page. One year membership is $20 and I think the seed offer is valid 'til February 2008. Good luck.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022