Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper leaf curling problem - photos

Posted by benjamincable 11 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 0:05

I have been having nearly constant problems with my peppers ( Jalapeno, Jimmy Nardello, Marconi, Bell). They are all started from seed in peat pots and look great. Within 2 - 3 weeks of placement into the garden, the leaves begin to curl. The plants usually survive but growth and production is slow at best. I do get some whitefly and aphid problems at times but they are easily treated with a very mild soap/oil solution.

I was told this could be spider mites so I have been tyring sulfur weekly without any real change. I have also looked for them under a microscope on leaves and found nothing!

Could this be a soil problem or fungus? Thanks in advance for advice.

Ben

Image link: Pepper leaf curling problem - photos (46 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper leaf curling problem - photos

Have heard that a leave curling/wrinkling problem that occurs mainly with Habs and that and easy fix is bone meal. No real experince with it though so let me know how it works out.

o

Ben,

I have a very similar problem. I was going to post pics but couldn't figure how. How are your plants doing?

o

I have the same problem with a few of my plants. I will do some research on bone meal. Any more suggestions?

o

You need epsom salts - magnesium sulfate. It will stop the leaves and peppers from curling. I've forgotten the ratio - something like a half-teaspoon to a pint of water mixed in a spray bottle. Spray the foliage every few days and the new growth will be a healthy green and straight.

o
Peter pepper buds!

It is March 25 and i have peter pepper buds. My plant is about a foot tall. I planted it from seed on 1/11/08 and it has been growing in my basement with LED lights. I am experimenting with the lights, and comparing them to peppers grown by a window. There is no comparison.

o

Sorry.....tried to start my own forum but i guess i dont know how. Didnt mean to change the subject.

o

Use epson salts - 1 Teaspoon per foot of plant every two weeks. You are also over watering. Wait until the plant is semi dry (you can almost see the leafs going down, specially when it is hot). My plants almost let me know when they want water.. you can see the plant start to lower their leaves. then water the plant until the pot is completely wet.. the water will then syphon down and leave the dirt moist. Make sure you don't water again until the plant looks like it needs more water (the dirt should feel almost dry.. but not completely dry). I've been growing habaners and fatalli for 8 years now.. they grow HUGE and ultra hot. I got enough chiles to fill a 3 gallon water bottle.. I then dry them up with a dehydrator and ground them! you have chile powder for the whole year!

o

My leaves are curling downward. Then they harden almost like the same texture you would feel from a fake plastic leaf. Then they yellow. Any suggestions? I am growing chinense species Hydroponically. I just added a cal/mag formula to tank last night.

o

Does anyone know the correct amount of epsom salt to use in a spray bottle? I hear so many people talking about epsom salt. But nobody is sure of how much. Also does it realy work?
Thanks.

o

I have the same problem with my pepper leafs, Mr John Thomson - I use epsom salt,I use 3 teaspoons per Gallon. My leaves get really green and alot of young leaves spring out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here