Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No fruit from pepper plants / Pepper plant ID

Posted by opcolumbus Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 12:49

Hello,

This is my first post on this site, as well as my first time growing pepper plants. I started some pepper plants about 4 months ago from seeds I brought home from a trip to Belize. The plant I got the seeds from was growing small 1.5"-2" peppers that were long and thin and quite hot. The same plant was growing peppers in a variety of colors (red, purple, yellow). It was a large plant, and was growing wild.

I suppose I have two questions:

First, does anyone know what type of pepper plant this might be? I've attached several pictures for reference.

Second, why are the plants not fruiting? They seem very healthy, they love the sun, I've been careful with watering and fertilizer, and still no sign of peppers. All the plants are in 10" and 8" pots, and the largest stands about 2.5 feet tall. They've been indoors their whole lives, and I get the window open to allow a breeze whenever it's warm enough.

If anyone can make any suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Owen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No fruit from pepper plants / Pepper plant ID

Sorry, but I just don't see the pics.

o

Hey, Owen.

I don't know if you'll see this, but I think I have a guess as to why your plants aren't fruiting.... first of all, are they flowering? If not, there might be some other issue. But if they are....the flowers need to be pollinated before they'll make fruit. If the plants spend all their time indoors, away from pollinators, you'll need to do the pollinating yourself. I don't quite know how you'd do that...in biology class they had us use a small paintbrush and spread pollen between flowers, but I don't know how well it'd work. Can you put the plants outside in the summer, so that some bees might come by and help you out?

Best,
Lara

o

Hi, my peppers are all indoors, all you need to do to pollinate them is get a small paintbrush or use your little finger (I used my finger) and gently dab pollen from flower to flower, hey presto you're now the biggest bee in town.

Good luck.

Lally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here