Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

some updates on my empty back yard, sauce business, etc.

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

so it's the end of january, and I still haven't started any seeds. I seriously just haven't had the time. in addition to continuing with the flea market on weekends, I set up my hot sauce stand at a new market down in Ybor city on the weekdays now, and do my sauce making at night, so I just don't have time to plant anything. I gave up on the fight against whiteflies back in like november, and only got around to pulling out the dead plants a few days ago.

I met some people who have about 50 acres of farm where they grow a lot of jalapenos and bell peppers that are growing my superhots for me for sauce, and I've got PLENTY ENOUGH for personal spicy food consumption for me and the wife, so the push to get seeds in soil just hasn't been there. if I do finally get around to starting some, I'll probably grow more of the milder stuff (I wanna find some datil seeds, I keep hearing about that one), I did all superhots last year, I think it's time for a change.

in regards to the business, I've been staying pretty busy. I'm out selling it 7 days a week, I have a few local restaurants picking up cases (though not as many as I'd like), and I recent got into my first gourmet shop (up in Pikesville MD). I'm not making enough money to retire yet, but I'm paying my bills, and I wake up every morning with a smile on my face, and go to bed every night exhausted, but with a smile. I didn't anticipate enjoying the actual selling part as much as I do, but seeing people's generally overwhelmingly positive reactions when they try my sauces for the first time gives me a lot of joy. and I love seeing return customers come back with their empty bottles. it surprises me because before this I was always more of an introvert, and anyone who has met me can tell you I'm a bit socially awkward. but I like talking about hot sauce, and that's what I spend a lot of my day doing, so it's a lot of fun.

I'm doing what I love for a living. I'm doing my best to live the American Dream, and I appreciate the support from you guys. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I am looking forward to it.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner