YouTube video, over 2,400 Dorset Naga peppers from a single plant

don555
10 years ago

Well, I guess the subject line pretty much says it all. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9YdkmmJeuU

Comments (14)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

that's it. I'm retiring. I lose the game.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

That is amazing. The thing is that the plant was in a pot, maybe 4 to 6 gallon container.

• Elbourne
    10 years ago

Is there some kind of secret to growing that large of a plant with that much fruit?

• ka0ttic
    10 years ago

There's another video supposedly saying how they did it but they didn't go into too much detail other than using compost and chicken manure pellets and fertilizing regularly. ..

Here is a link that might be useful: How we grew a giant dorset naga plant

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Beautiful plant! Looks to have grown in a greenhouse, and that really helps. The pot was quite large - 160 liters, they say, which converts to a little over 42 gallons! I imagine a heavy fertilization regimen would be required to support that much fruit. Excellent work.

Let's not discount the genetic potential of that particular plant. Would be interesting to see if clones of the plant regularly produced heavy numbers of pods.

Josh

• seaspringseeds
    10 years ago

Hi Guys, Sorry to intrude but I am the person who grew that Dorset Naga plant, and thought I would just add a few words.

There is no secret to the growing; greenman28 is right, mostly it is the genetic ability of the variety �" any Dorset Naga plant could do that. That particular plant was selected from the 1000 plants we had raised for selling. All we did was give it plenty of space, warmth, light, water and fertilizer so none of these things were limiting its growth. Having said that, the fertilizer regime was the same as we use for all our plants.

By the way, this year we are running a competition to see who can get the most chillies off a Dorset Naga plant. If you beat our record we will double the prize money!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorset Naga Growing Challenge

• seysonn
    10 years ago

@ SSS,

It was impressive. But in the video it was mentioned that the plant was 10,5 months old (up to that time) So, then being in UK, I am sure it has been mostly a greenhouse plant that later in life was brought outside during the warm season over there.

But admit, it still is a great accomplishment. Congrats.

• tomt226
    10 years ago

SeaSpringSeeds,
    Have ya'll ever experimented with grafting different peppers onto a particularly vigorous rootstock? I ask this because grafted tomatoes are becoming more common. It would be interesting to see larger pepper grafted onto a native rootstock like the Tepin. It'd have drought and disease tolerance as a lot of the grafted tomatoes do.

• Oystereater
    10 years ago

Challenge accepted. Get ready to pay up, SeaSpringSeeds!

• seaspringseeds
    10 years ago

Oh yes, in Britain chilli have to be kept indoor all the time. That plant was sown in January (mid winter) in a heated propagator, kept in a heated greenhouse until mid April. Then in a unheated polytunnel for the rest of its life.

That is the norm for growing chillies in Britain

• don555
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SSS: Amazing that one plant can produce so much. How long can a pepper hold on the plant?... seems to me some must have ripened months ahead of others?

I won't take you up on the challenge because I wouldn't have a hope, but I sure did enjoy watching your video and posting the link here.

• seaspringseeds
    10 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the video, don555.

You know the competition isn't against me, but against other growers (but if you beat me we do double the prize money!).

Last year the winner got 401 red chillies off his plant. He was just a hobbist grower using a small tunnel in his back garden, see growing details and video.

Here is a link that might be useful: The 2013 winner of the Dorset Naga Challenge

• PunkRotten
    10 years ago

Very impressive plant. I have a Hot Cherry plant that is now going on its 3rd year. The plant is about 6 1/2 feet now. All last year it put out 100s and 100s of peppers that I could not keep up. I have done nothing special for it either. It was an extra plant I did not know what to do with and put it in a spot I thought was less than ideal. Basically clay soil with partial sun. It is the biggest/healthiest plant I have.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Wow! That's amazing!

Sponsored