Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

Mystery of Container-soil

chilliwin
11 years ago

Perlite are not available in the well known garden centers and super markets here. There is no barks, perlite, vermiculite, and turface in the potting soil. I have bought many potted plants and never found all these ingredients. It is a mystery to me. I cannot get information of the soil from the real growers.

This plant is just I bought may be it is Ficus I do not know exactly. I like plants with big green leaves. I bought it to see the soil, it is very small container but the plant is very big. This grower knows very well about the soil. May be some of us know it.
{{gwi:1139588}}

{{gwi:1139590}}

{{gwi:1139592}}

I am going to re-pot this plant in 5:1:1 in a bit bigger container. I think removing these all soil is not a good idea.

Any idea about these soils. Your idea and knowledge about this soil will be appreciated.

Caelian

Comments (8)

• leafericson
    11 years ago

It looks like Sphagnum Peat Moss to me.

Eric

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, its just peat. It has no nutrient value what-so-ever, all it does is retain water. The grower must have been mixing plant food into the water.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Eric and Edymnion.

The plant food they use, I have been looking for but helpless. All the potted plants including bonsai plants available in the super markets here only used such type of sphagnum like soil. Their nutrients use for growing all these plants is a mystery to me. They sale a lot of ornamental chili plants most of them were grown in small pots like in this picture but they have a lot of fruits.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is not hot chili I know, I am really sorry to continue my question here about the soil and the leaves.

{{gwi:1139594}}

{{gwi:1139595}}

I have cleaned the leaves but the leaves have some white dots, I do not know is it normal or disease. Your comments and opinion about these white dots will be appreciated honestly.

Caelian

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Probably just standard miracle grow with micro-nutrients.

Osmocote is also good for bonsai.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Edymnion, thank you for your opinion.

The most frustrating thing here I found is when you used all those names such as miracle grows with micro-nutrients or orchid soil :). So many names our members mentioned here about the soils and the fertilizers, most of them are not available here. May be available in different names. I found some of them in different name such as slow releasing fertilizer.

However I sincerely appreciate our members' efforts to help me to solve my problems and to answer my questions, it is remarkable.

I found openness and friendliness in our forum that's I cannot forget in my life.

Regards,
    Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 14:50

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Use what you have around. Find a nice cheap potting soil and get some water soluble or slow release fertilizer. Always use the fertilizer 1/3 strength to be safe.

Try new potting mixes and see hpw they work, staying with potting mix for most of your plants for the first year. You can see how your own grow medium grows plants next to the potting mix. I found a mix of 90% peat and 10% composted horse manure worked great. The price was very low. I have used soil right out of the garden for a test and was happy with the results! It is free too! You just have to know when to water. Here is 2 cayenne I grew in 100% garden soil. This is a good example of why there is no reason get too picky with plants ;)

First planted.
    {{gwi:2553}}

Few weeks or so in I had to mulch due to the soil drying too fast.
    {{gwi:2554}}

Here they are after a nice rain. You can see the start of the production here.
    {{gwi:2552}}

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TheMasterGardener1, thank you for sharing your experiences and nice pictures.

We have our chili enthusiasts forum but not very active like here. So many of them have so many nice plants but we hardly discuss about container soil. So as a new container gardener I do not know much. I have learned about slow-release fertilizer from Josh and other forum members. Now I use slow-release fertilizer for the first time.

Caelian

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County