Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Picture thread

Bill_Missy
11 years ago

Hello everyone.

I have searched the site just looking for pictures. I have seen some great looking pictures of seedlings, plants pods etc. So that got me to thinking (I know it hurt :) )

So I thought I would start a thread just for pictures of Pods and mature plants for everyone to drool over, to include me.

So, if anyone is interested post pictures of your Pods/Mature plants for everyone to gaze at. Please name type/variety etc.

p.s. I have no pictures to post as this is my first real year. Last year I grew store bought stuff that anyone can get.

Bill

Comments (151)

• leafericson
    11 years ago

ottawapepper, I've been looking around for Trinidad Scorpion Douglah seed but I have been hesitant to buy them because I've heard of people getting them and they ended up red not brown. Yours look authentic, where did you get the seed from?

Eric

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Eric,

The original seed came from The Hippy Seed Company (THSC). Geezzz, if I had of known earlier I would have tossed some Douglah seeds in your envelope.

To my taste, the Douglah easily beats the two record contenders; the Butch T and the Moruga (although the flavor isn't as nice as the Butch T IMHO).

You already have Bih Jolokia and Butch T seeds on the way to you with the others. If you really have a death wish, I'll forward some Douglah seeds to help you out. Let me know via email.

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 18:38

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Bill, I think I've got a death wish..

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Bill, those look awesome!! Love the color and wrinkly pods!

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

tsheets (Tim),

After I fulfill Eric's (LeafEricson's) death wish I'll still have a few extra seeds to share. Send me an email if you'd some seeds.

Bill

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Deadly lookin' pods! I hope my Douglah turns out just as nasty as those this year :-)

Did someone say Naga Dorset? Hope you don't mind Naga Morich (top) and Naga Dorset (bottom).

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Great looking pods Josh. Let me know if your Douglah doesn't turn out as nasty.

Thanks to Bruce (esox07) I'm growing the Morich this season. Although similar to the Dorset, and from the same region, I'm anticipating the Morich will be hotter. I found the Dorset noticeably "weaker" than the Bhut and Bih.

Curious about you experience. Did you notice a difference between the Dorset and Morich?

11 years ago

Thanks, Bill!

I didn't notice any overwhelming difference between the two, other than some slight pod variation -
    the flavor and the heat were practically the same, although I used the Dorsets more often and had more
    of my friends try them...maybe that in itself is an indication that they weren't quite packing the
    punch of the Bhut.

I had a slight preference for the Morich pods...they were prettier, and perhaps I just like the word
    'Morich' better :-) If I were to grow one of them again, it would be the Morich without question.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

You guys discussing tasting and comparing all these super hots is making my head ache. AFter the first smidgeon of a super hot, I cant taste a damn thing. Or maybe the taste is the last thing on my mind as my mouth, tongue, gums, throat and various other bodily tissues are being ravaged by fire. You sound like a couple of guys discussing several different types of beer.

Bruce

11 years ago

An apt analogy, Bruce ;-)
    ...I don't like any beer, but I can certainly tell which I like better than others.
    There's a brief window to appreciate the flavor profile, then it goes south real quickly;
    on the backside of the burn, other aspects of the flavor and the aftertaste can be assessed.

Sure, it hurts. Every damned time. And I ain't too proud to admit it ;-)

Josh

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I'm with Bruce on this one! LOL

Hottest I've tried is chocolate habanero, and just a little sliver then.

Though, I am growing a couple 7-pots (h/t romy6/Jamie) this year as well as bhuts. I still don't know what I'm going to do with those! LOL It's a sickness, it really is. :-)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Bruce try some orange habanero hot sauce! You get all the great taste of the habanero without the direct pepper contact heat! I am the same way. I am at about the cayenne level of heat! I like the tase of cayenne, but the habanero hot sauce I had I just could not get enough of that great citrus type flavor you could say. It really makes me want to grow habanero which I will be this season.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I grew Orange habs two years ago. Still out of my league. I guess if you add just a touch it would be fine but then you don't get that "citrus taste" either unless you add a lot. I guess I am just a wimp. I still grow the hot ones for the heck of it but I dont really eat them.
    Bruce

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

Shoot my to grow list is already 50+ hot/mild varieties, now it's going to be hard not to add a few of the varieties show here that I don't have.

GREAT pics and great info shared.

Keep the pics coming.

Sandy

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Here are six of my "bhut jolokia" peppers that i grew from seed (sown last feb) that came in a can as a "ghost pepper starter kit"

I think they may be dorset naga, though.

Nonetheless, my first ever harvest......

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Bill those Douglah look MEAN! I planted a few seeds about 11 days ago, so far no sprouts. I planted about 16 chinense and I still have about 6 with no results. I'm going to give it another week or so before I give up. I hope mine pop up and turn out as gnarly as your pods!

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

peppernovice: you are going to get replies stating that chinense, super hots in particular can take up to 30 days or longer to germinate. However, I am with you, if they dont come up in 15 days or so, it is time to re-seed. You could still keep the original ones but rather than lose another two weeks of growing time, you should replant after a couple weeks. This is all contingent upon your supply of seeds however.
    Bruce

• locoguy
    11 years ago

Just got these ghosts started..

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Those are the same "starter kits" that i used to grow my six peppers shown a few posts ago.

• locoguy
    11 years ago

Did you leave them in the can, or did you put them in a bigger pot?

• bberkmor
    11 years ago

@jifjifjif You had much better luck than me. I had the starter kit from the magic pepper company and it turned out to be wrong seeds(not %100 but similar to twilight). Sucked Finding out 4 months later.
    @Locoguy That is the exact kit I had, got it from the jerky outlet when I was visiting Tennessee. Hope you have jifjifjif's luck and not mine. And yes you have to put them in a bigger pot, I moved mine into 6" pots indoors and 16" pots outdoors. I got 6 sprouts in the One can.

They sent me a pack of dried Bhuts but that doesn't make up for the lost season.

Started some more reliable seeds from Ottawapepper and they starting to pop up :)

This post was edited by bberkmor on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 2:11

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Yep, i potted the plant after about 6 months in that can.

11 years ago

The pods from the can look to be Nagas rather than Bhut Jolokia.

Josh

• romy6
    11 years ago

peppers

More peppers

SBJ7 scotch bonnet x jonah 7 cross

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Seems like Nagas get substituted for Ghost pepper seeds quite a bit. That is what happened to me two years ago on trying to grow ghost peppers for the first time. It wasn't until almost all the way through the growing season that list members set me straight. They were still hot as heck and similar to Ghost though. I would think that by now, there would be a big enough supply of Ghost pepper seeds so that suppliers didn't have to resort to "substituting". At least you didn't end up with Bell Peppers or some U/I weed.
    Bruce

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Bruce,

I think it's because years ago when word started to spread about a "new" super hot pepper it was referred to as the Naga Jolokia. I suspect (just my opinion) that some people still think all Naga or Jolokia varieties (there are many) are the same "Ghost Pepper". There are many varieties from the same region and although subtly different, any one of them is going to be crazy hot. Any knowledgeable vendor should know the difference between a Bhut Jolokia and a Dorset Naga.

At least today we're not seeing as many cases of vendors trying to pass off the frutescens Naga Jolokia PC1 as the world's hottest ;-))

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

That makes sense Ottawa. Nevertheless, I guess we will never get rid of the counterfeiters altogether.
    Bruce

• romy6
    11 years ago

One of my favorite pics i have taken ever. Yellow scorp with some enhancements I made

And funny you mention Naga jolakia pc1 Billster. One of my first purchases of seeds was this very same guy. I saw the name naga and thought that has to be hot. I was very upset when it first started podding up. But that was one of the strongest producing plant. Very tasty too.

And the nastiest brainstrain I have ever grown. Nothing like the first pods off a plant IMHO
    >

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Jamie your plants and pods look awesome! That brain looks a killer. The brain I posted was from seed you sent me, I see why you grow them they look and taste awesome.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

My mouth is burning just looking at that thing, Jamie!

Is the Naga Jolokia PC1 anything special flavor-wise? Is it similar to something else? Just curious about it.

• romy6
    11 years ago

To me it tastes much like a cayenne flavor wise but has the heat of a tobasco. Much thinner walled than a cayenne. I have seeds if you want any. Send me an email. You can find out for yourself.

Thanks for the compliment Mark. That brain you took a pic of looks nasty!

• scotty66
    11 years ago

I will add my meager collection of peppers.

In early January I planted several new peppers (thanks to Romy6 for the seeds): Jamaican Hot chocolate, Douglah 7 pot, Yellow 7 Pot, Brain Strain/7 pod red, Aji Lemon, Red Bhut Jolokia, Yellow Cardi Sorpion and a Congo Trinidad.

Back in November I sprouted a butch-t... initially it grew really fast, but it has slowed way down and doesn't look too good. Probably because I had it outside when our temps dipped around 40 at night.

Not pictured: I have a 1 year old mystery hybrid that I got from esox07. In Dec. I pruned it back to the first fork (almost no leaves left). I thought I had killed it, but not only is there a bunch of new growth, but it is flowering.

close up of new plants

more sprouts... just popping up

sickly 3 month old Butch T (hopfully the lady bug is also a nurse)

• leafericson
    11 years ago

scotty66, the weather looks nice there in Texas. I've got like a foot of snow here in New Jersey.
    Anyway; there is some bubbling of the leaf there possible calcium deficiency and the soil looks a little compacted. I would recommend first giving the plant silica (helps with any kind of stress/shock) and then remove as much of that soil as possible and replace it with something different. After a few weeks have gone by then give it a light fertilizing with a calcium magnesium mix.
    A lot of times when a plant becomes shocked or stressed it will go dormant until things change so just changing out the soil can sometimes make a big difference.
    Oh by the way ladybugs don't hang out on plants unless they have something to eat so I would say that plant has bad bugs probably aphids;(
    but on the up side you've got a ladybug working hard taking care of it:-)

Eric

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Scotty, I think those were the Naga seeds that I sent you. I don't think they are really a hybrid but just not the Ghost Pepper seeds they were supposed to be. It is likely a variety of Naga. But whatever it is, it is hot and a very good producer. My plants got huge and produced a ton of pods. I sent out a lot of those seeds and got great comments back on them. Most everyone had real good luck getting them to germinate as well.
    Good luck with the overwintering on it. Ain't it great with how tough the little buggers are.
    Hey, post up a picture of it when you get a chance.
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 22:26

• scotty66
    11 years ago

Eric, We have had a very mild winter this year and bugs are everywhere. especially lady bugs (not a bad thing). I literally find 2 or 3 lady bugs in the house every night (i try to take them back outside as gently as possible). I did check the underside of all the leaves and no bugs. I had a real bad aphid problem two years ago, of course there were no lady bugs to be found then :)

Bruce, thanks, I forgot you mentioned they were Naga's... started calling it my hybrid plant while back (sounded scientificy). It is a very tough plant and puts out a ton of blooms. I will try to post a pic in next couple days.

• locoguy
    11 years ago

Im thinking about potting each plant on an individual container. Is that a good idea, or should i just leave all six of them in that one can?
    Thanks.

This post was edited by LocoGuy on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 15:54

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Well, eventually you will have to transplant them one way or another. If you would like to try to save more than one per container, I would do it now before their roots become entangled. Some people will grow more than one plant per container but I don't really know if that results in more peppers or not as they tend to compete with each other for water, nutrients, sunlight and basically just room to grow. So, replant them now or soon would be a good time to cull all but the most vigorous plant in each container.
    Bruce

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

If you want 6 plants, you need to put them in individual containers. If you only want 2 plants, just eliminate the weaker looking ones and leave 1 per can. You will eventually have to re pot them anyway. Those containers are far too small for any variety of chile plant.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Hey, peppernovice, we said the same thing...but it looks like I was a hair faster. hahaha.

• locoguy
    11 years ago

One of my cans only has 1 pepper, but the other one has 6. Thinking about taking out two or three from that can and put them in separate containers. I feel that the soil is very loose and they are small enough that i could just pull them without damaging it.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I don't know how I missed your post Bruce. I must have had the window open for a few minutes before I posted. My apologies sir.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Peppernovice, no problems. I wasn't upset or anything. But what happened was you and I were replying at nearly the exact same time and by the time you had finished your reply, mine had been sent just seconds earlier. I just think it is funny and it is always a good feeling to get confirmation on what I posted.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I wouldn't just yank them out. I'd transplant them all and gently separate them at the soil level.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I agree with Tsheets. Dont try to dig or pull them out. Empty the whole container, then gently separate the soil until individual plants just fall out. Their roots are very delicate at this stage and any trauma will put a serious hit on the young plant. Once you get them separated out, then replant each one separately and if you like, you could replace one or two (preferably one) back into the original container. But keep in mind, it wont take long to outgrow that container even for one plant so you might want to take the opportunity to upgrade the size of the containers you are using.
    Bruce

• bberkmor
    11 years ago

Last year when I had one of those start up cans I had to carefully cut down the side of the can with tin snips open it up and gently separate them away from the soil. Other wise they would have been to easily damaged. I did it after the first set of leaves and the roots were a bit tangled with 4 plants.

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Fatalii just coming up (even with part of the seed still attached.) My first time growing these. Looking forward to them!

This post was edited by ab2008 on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 2:53

• locoguy
    11 years ago

I took out the ones that didnt look like were tangled together

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

I've been meaning to post this for a little while..from last year's harvest. Not too crazy about the new format either...a bit difficult to read a first. It's a double lemon drop.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

That's impressive northerner! I don't think I've ever had that happen. I guess you really got your moneys worth out of that pod.

Tim

• locoguy
    11 years ago

I took out the ones that didnt look like were tangled together

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner