Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclost

When to start using light.

kclost
10 years ago

Seeds just starting to sprouting up. Should I put light on them as soon as the first one pops up or can I wait until the entire tray of 10 has sprouts showing. All the seeds were pre-germinated by the paper towel method.

The light source is a 4 bulb T-8. And will use a heat mat as well.

Thanks for your imput...

This post was edited by kclost on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 8:57

Comments (14)

• thepodpiper
    10 years ago

As soon as they sprout get them under the light.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

They need light ASAP or will grow tall and weak

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Get them under light as soon as you see the 1st one break the surface. Mist with a spray bottle on the ones that haven't emerged if you see the soil drying. Keep the lights about an inch from the top of the plants until you're ready to harden off.

Kevin

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Agree with Kevin although you could go up to 6in if you cant check on them every day. You dont want them touching the lights.

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got the light on them. I have a plastic cover around the lights to keep me and and my curious cat from getting electrocuted. I have one bright ass basement now...lol

I'll keep everyone posted and post a pic.

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got my fingers crossed. Come on May 1st!!

• cal_mario
    10 years ago

They need light right away,they should be in good potting mix,using peat pellets for peppers is a big no no...good luck with them.

• tomt226
    10 years ago

kclost,
    Well, I've got mine under light in the greenhouse, and it lights everything up so much that the NG and cop choppers come over at night and think I'm growing pot...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The closer the Fluorescent light to the seedling the better better.
    Sometimes almost touching. But just to have a peace of minde leave about 1/2" distance. Remember, the Fluorescents are cool and would not burn the seedlings, especially if they are low wattage. Mine are 32 watt tubes. I run the lights 12/12 on/off. Works for me.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone once you see a sprout put it under the light the rest will sprout in due time. Also as close as you can get with the lights it keeps them from getting tall and leggy which could weaken and topple the plant over then you have to deal with chopsticks or similar to prop them up its a lot of extra work. I finally got mine to sprout for this season planted a week and 1/2 ago. Keep the floro lights very close

Mark

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cal_mario,

Will the peat pellets work until the root system will hold everything together enough to re-pot in a slightly larger container? Or should I go ahead and take the entire peat ball out now and re-pot with some good potting mix around it, maybe in a container like habjolokia's shows? I plan on planting in the ground so don't want to go too big.

• TFortune
    10 years ago

thats what I do. I just use the peat pellets to germinate and get them a few days start and then I repot them into potting mix in solo cups. I make sure to break up the peat pellet a little bit when I report them so that there isn't potting mix with a rock hard plug of dried peat choking off the roots in my solo cups. I learned that one last year when i watered my plants and the potting mix compacted down to leave a 1/4 inch of solid dried peat sticking up above the rest of the mix. I run my lights 16 on, 8 off, since I have them set up in my office at work and turn them off when I get to work and turn them back on when I leave for the day.

• pepperbelly123
    10 years ago

I put the light on them when the first one sprouted, the rest didnt seen to mind as the rest followed suit and sprouted well with the light on.

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice looking plants pepperbelly. I hope mine turn out a well as yours.

I just purchased four 6500 Kelvin T8 bulbs (Daylight). I noticed that the bulbs in my light were 5000 Kelvin which isn't bad. But why not go for the best?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County