Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any luck with Manzano Pepper?

Posted by Chad5 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 9:22

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with Manzano peppers. I heard that they can be quite tricky to grow for most people because of the region they came from. I already have a huge grow list this year (Thanks to Jtight) so if it is not a great producer I will probably pass on it. The seeds were quite expensive on the site where I found them, but they almost seem to cool of a pepper to pass up. Any thoughts??? Thanks Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any luck with Manzano Pepper?

Thoughts?

Get them started right away for a chance on getting ripe pods at the end of the season.

I've read that established plants supposedly do not like being potted up, this seems to be my experience as well. I'm guessing that potting them up once, into their final container, may be best. Find a way to keep the roots shaded or insulated from the heat, it may give them a boost. You may also have spots on your property that get sunlight during the mildest portions of the day (the first 4 hours, or last four hours of sunlight).

I have 3 of them overwintered, two smaller and a mid-sized one, with most leaves trimmed off. They are being kept in near darkness in a cool basement that averages between 58-65f. I give them water and light about once a week, they seem to be handling it better than my other overwintered plants.

If you like a small growing challenge, then there's no reason not to grow them. They are a unique tasting and extremely versatile pepper with a forgiving burn, imho.

Steve,

o

Tricky, indeed.
I found that the flower prolifically, but just didn't like the temperatures in my own garden. I overwintered a Manzano, and it did much better in its second year. A more cold-tolerant pepper than others, so it overwintered very well in a cold-frame outdoors.

Josh

o

I have just germinates some. I got the seeds from Tim (peppernovice. Thanks again, Tim). Gardening in the PNW, we have the cool weather that Manzanos like.

I also think that it has unique flavor , on the mild side (10k to 20k?). It is one of the few peppers that I know that you actually taste its fruity flavor along the heat.
So I will git it a shot.

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 2:18

o

Thanks guys for your responses. I'm gonna give them a shot, What the heck. I will keep ya posted on results. Now I'm a little worried, sjetski, I live in central N.J. should I have already started my superhots? I've never grown anything hotter than a cayenne.

o

You've got time for seed-starting....
A lot of folks like to get the C. pubescens started early, though.

Josh

o

I grew some years ago in pots. Got 3 peppers off 2 plants the first year. After wintering the over I finally got some so so production. Im glad I grew them If you have the time and space Go for it. Just know they take longer then any pepper Ive ever grown.Still No regrets most excellent pepper worth the wait although the make most super hots seem like early season

o

Agreed with Josh, plenty of time to start seed for zone 6 and super hots (north jersey here btw).

If your grow list creeps upwards, you may find yourself starting super-hot seeds in March. Which would be fine, the worst is that they'll ripen in mid or late August.

Your next project will be figuring out what to do with your late season bounty, pickle, puree, powder, freeze them, etc.

Def keep us posted, and good luck too.

Steve,

o

If you have the seeds go for it. I just started some Manzano seeds today, got them from Tim peppernovice (Thanks Tim) he had great success so maybe he can post some pointers for us.

Mark

o

Manzanos are easy to germinate and grow. Info to the contrary is urban myth.

photo crop5983.jpg

o

Easy to germinate and easy to grow, yes.....but not so easy to get a good harvest in my neck of the woods.

Josh

o

Anybody deal with tradewinds fruit company? Found seeds there 20 seeds for two bucks. Also is there any preferance to which color? They have red,yellow, and orange. Thanks again for replies! Nice plant BTW Willard3!

o

I really, really want to grow these. I tried last year but not one germinated, bad seed?

If anyone has a few manzano/rocoto seeds they could spare I would really appreciate the kind favor. I have many seeds I could trade in return.
-Eric-

o

Eric,

check your email

seysonn

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 4:01

o

Chad,
I have ordered seeds a few times from tradewinds fruit and had good results. I would order from them again.
I have never grown Manzano peppers so cant recommend a color. Good luck
Tim

o

seysonn, thank you very much for the seed offer. I will send a SASE to you. Are you looking for any seeds? I may have them...
-Eric-

o

You are welcome, Eric.

I do not need any seeds right now. I am all set for the season. Thanks though.

o

OK.. an update on my Manzano situation.
I germinated and started back in Jan. And subsequently potted and planted out in May.
Now here we are Early August. My plants have about 5 pods so far. Like Josh said, they flower prolifically but won't set pods. I heard that they like cool. So they got it, PNW you know. Now what is the problem ?
Anybody is growing Manzano this season ? Let us here how yours are doing so far. I really like Manzanos. With some Habs, they make nice sauce. O, by the way my habs are doing even worse than Manzanos. Arrrgh

o

I usually grow mine in pots so that I can bring them inside at frost time. They are long season peppers. Some of mine didn't get enough sun in early summer which surprised me, so I moved them to get more. They are blooming now and some have nice pods.
John A

o

I have Orange, Red and Yellow growing but no flowers yet. They are slow growers but it wont get too cold here until Dec so I may get pods yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here