Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianlori

Importing Seeds is apparently a big No No!

CanadianLori
10 years ago

I recently received my trusted traveler card and turns out one of the conditions is that I never bring back Seeds or soil.

This was new to me - I do understand that no country wants to import anything invasive to their natural habitat but this seems to be a pretty sweeping regulation.

You all know and I know that a hot pepper would never be a threat to our countryside as they just would not survive the extreme colds and our growing season would probably would never be long enough for them to naturally get to fruit/seed.

I already have plants from seeds purchased last year so I haven't broken this new promise but I am upset that this pledge was necessary!

Anyone else get caught in this one?

Comments (9)

• kclost
    10 years ago

This is probably more than you want to know, but this is from www.aphis.usda.gov..USDA anyway...

Small Lots of Seed

Lots of seed may be imported without a phytosanitary certificate under the following conditions:
    (1) The importation of the seed is authorized by a written permit specifically for small lots of seed. Permits are usually valid for 3 years and cover multiple importations.

(2) The seed is not of any prohibited genus listed under 7 CFR 319.37-2; is not of any Federal noxious weed species; does not require an additional declaration on a phytosanitary certificate; does not require treatment; is not a parasitic plant; is not genetically modified; is not pelleted, coated, or imbedded in growing media, seed tape, cloth, or similar materials.

(3) If the seed is a field/agricultural crop or vegetable, it meets the requirements of the Federal Seed Act import provisions in 7 CFR 361.

(4) If the seed is regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) or the Endangered Species Act, it meets the additional requirements.

(5) The seed meets the following packaging and shipping requirements:

(i) A typed or legibly printed seed list/invoice accompanies each shipment with the name of the collector/shipper, the botanical names (at least to genus, preferably to species level) listed alphabetically, as well as the country of origin, and country shipped from, for each taxon. Each seed packet is clearly labeled with the name of the collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species, level. The invoice/seed list may provide a code for each lot, which may be used on the seed packets in lieu of the full list of required information. In this case, each packet must at least include the appropriate code, which is referenced to the entry for that packet on the seed list/invoice.
    (ii) There are a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species, cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon per packet;
    (iii) There are a maximum of 50 seed packets per shipment;
    (iv) The seeds are free from pesticides;
    (v) The seeds are securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage [Note: we recommend that seeds are packed in resealable, clear plastic envelopes to facilitate inspection];
    (vi) The shipment is free from soil, plant material other than seed, other foreign matter or debris, seeds in the fruit or seed pod, and living organisms such as parasitic plants, pathogens, insects, snails, mites; and
    (vii) At the time of importation, the shipment is sent to an approved port of entry listed in the permit.

This post was edited by kclost on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 14:21

• don555
    10 years ago

C.Lori: Probably means seeds you collect yourself, or large amounts of seeds? There are some restricted seeds, such as Prunus varities that can harbor something I think called plum pox, noxious weeds, and of course seeds of illicit plants. But most of the other legislation I could find online seemed to apply to seeds in excess of 500 grams for smaller seeds, or 5 kg for larger seeds, and I think the intent there is that lots larger than that could contain noxious weeds. Certainly I have bought seeds numerous times from commercial seed suppliers in the US (and maybe UK too?), and they passed through customs no problem.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

I've traded and ordered seeds quite a number of times with folks in Denmark, Germany, Australia, England,,,,,, as well as Canada; and yet to have had a problem. When I go to the PO, I fill out the customs form, list garden seeds as content and off it goes.

Will be a bummer if we can't buy seeds or trade with others out of the US

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I imagine that most of us are safe to keep exchanging seeds wherever and whenever we want - just me that won't be able to.

I guess I shot myself in the foot when I got my Nexus. They asked me to sign a form right there that details the no seeds, etc. restrictions and since I willingly signed it so as to get quick border crossing privileges, I gave up those options. I go across every couple of weeks and this adds up to big time saving.

Oh well, c'est la vie!

• tomt226
    10 years ago

CanadianLori,
    I've sent dried Bhuts and habs to a person in Saskatchewan with no problem. Just fill out the form as sandygardens said.
    Maybe you could take a mailer with you next time you cross, address it to yourself or another friend or family member near you, and do it that way?

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Same here I sent seed and powder . Filled out the form listed it as a gift. Went through no problem. Let the Post Office do the crossing for you

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas - I will find the location of the post office nearest where I usually travel.
    Thanks so much!
    L

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I have sent seeds many times to Canada, even Europe and have never had any problems. I just package them in a small envelope and stick them into a letter size envelope and send them off...no customs form, no nothing but postage and an address. I guess the customs for would be a good idea though.
    Likewise, I have received seeds from Canada with no problems and no forms attached. Actually physically crossing the border with the seeds might be a bit different however.
    Bruce

• TNKS
    10 years ago

Just ship them to a trusted friend or neighbor and youll do fine
    I have friends in Alberta Provence that grow loads of US origin products via USPS.

Sponsored