Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmpman1974

Germinating Seeds on Moist Paper Towels

cmpman1974
18 years ago

As an experiment I put 10 Manzano seeds between 2 sheets of paper towel moistened about 15 days ago. I looked at the black seeds today and noticed 8 or 9 of them have a tiny green stem emerging. Is this the tap root?

I never germinated seed this way before. I always just planted in a container with soil.

Do I put the seeds in planting medium now with the green stem facing up? Down? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Comments (19)

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    18 years ago

The root facing down. Green starter leaves facing up.

• jimster
    18 years ago

Chile seeds seem to be notoriously slow and erratic in their germination. Last year I noticed germination of chile seeds between damp paper towels was quicker, more complete and more consistent in the amount of time required than for seeds planted in seed starting medium in pots. So I decided to start all chile seeds between damp towels. I put the folded towels in a covered casserole on top of the fridge for darkness and warmth.

The root emerges first from the seed husk. Plant it pointing down. Normally, the first set of leaves then pushes out of the soil in an inverted U shape, leaving the seed husk behind. Sometimes the seed husk sticks to the leaves and is pulled up with them.

Jim

• sanj
    18 years ago

I also germinate seeds between paper towels. However sometimes I am having a very hard time getting seed off the baby leaf; the seed is just stuck on it, and it does not let it go. How do you guys get that seed casing to come off the first leaf?

• Gregory Eleser
    18 years ago

Sanj,

What I do is to keep the seed casing moist by spritzing it every so often. This prevents it from drying and sticking to the leaf. Just be sure to spritz the seed pod and don't flood the soil each time you do this. After awhile it will fall of or you can gently remove it.

Greg

• lil_rhody
    18 years ago

"keep the seed casing moist by spritzing it every so often."

Be careful about how often you spritz. Between spritzing and watering, you may be creating a favorable environment for fungus to thrive which may have adverse effects on ALL your seedlings.
    I spritz the seedling ONCE and wait a few minutes, then use my fingernail to lift the husk. This works for me 95-99% of the time. Occasionally I get a seed that will not continue to grow due to a stubborn husk.

• ncage
    18 years ago

sanj: just cut the paper towel where its sticking so you can release the leaf and then plant it with the seed. It won't hurt anything and eventually the paper towel will disolve.

ncage

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    18 years ago

Anyone trying this have the problem of black mold with the moist towels? I used these in sealed ziplock bags so maybe thats part of the problem.

• byron
    18 years ago

I had mold every time I used plastic bags, but just my situ..

Germinating on towels, I had trouble moving the seeds w/o breaking off the roots.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Coffee filters work much better than paper towels for this as the seedlings don't grow into the coffee filters as they do paper towels. For seeds that take longer to germinate, you can prevent mold by using a solution of hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. I've been doing it for years and it works great.

In fact, the faq's @ the "growing from seed" forum covers the subject in great length. Here's the short version----compliments of Taryn.

"I presprout nearly all my seeds using coffee filters and baggies, then transplant sprouts to soilless mix in cellpacks. I use round basket-type coffee filters because the paper is denser than paper towels, so the roots don't get enmeshed in it as easily.

Check baggies every few days, and remoisten as needed. Even if one doesn't appear to need remoistening, don't let them go over a week without opening them up for some fresh air. I use a mister bottle with 1:20 hydrogen peroxide:water to help prevent mold and mildew from forming. You could use chamomile tea too if that is what you currently use. For seeds that need light, keep them with the single layer of filter up, and in bright light, though not direct sunlight. If they need dark, put in a drawer or cupboard."

I've had excellent results using this method, particularly with seedlings that germinate erractically.

Here is a link that might be useful: The baggie method

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    18 years ago

aka_peggy: I have tried the chamomile tea solution and that caused more black mold than just using water. To be honest I used varied amount or tea:water and they all turned black. I will have to try again with the hydrogen peroxide though, hopefully get better results that way, and coffee filters too.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

pkapeckopickldpepprz, I've never used the tea, only the hydrogen peroxide and I never had a problem. I love using this method for doing germination test but I also grow lots of seedlings this way.

• Delpiero10
    9 years ago

Hello everyone,

It is my first time on this forum and germinating seeds. I am currently trying to germinate some pepper seeds (Chocolate & Orange habaneros).

I am using the paper towel method. It has been 5 days since I initiated the process. I noticed tiny spots of mold on the orange habaneros, and decided to cut those sections of the towel away. Is that a good decision?

would transferring the seeds to new paper towel and repeating the process be an option?

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I've had mixed results with the paper towel method. And even when I do get good germination, it seems to take longer overall than when just starting in a seed starting mix in the first place. I've read some just use it to verify that their seeds are actually viable.

Here's a recent thread on my own germination trials and tribulations. Note the need for cleanliness and what eventually worked best for me...

PS Welcome to the forum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Germinating seeds

• willardb3
    9 years ago

I have complete success with moist paper towels.

If you are getting molds and etc,, you need to clean your hands and tools before you start.

• Delpiero10
    9 years ago

@Mecdave Thanks the link was useful.
    @willard3 I will try and make sure everything is sterile on the next time.

I ended up making Hydrogen Peroxide solution with deionized water and lightly sprayed the paper towels. Hopefully that keeps the mold under control for the next week or so.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "I am using the paper towel method. It has been 5 days since I initiated the process. I noticed tiny spots of mold on the orange habaneros, and decided to cut those sections of the towel away. Is that a good decision? "

Not really. Cutting it won't control the mold. For that you need hydrogen peroxide. But don't be too anxious - mold doesn't really hurt the seeds unless it can get inside.

I soak the seeds overnight in a mild hydrogen peroxide solution. Then place in bags on towels moistened with water and sprinkled or spritzed with hydrogen peroxide. (Actually, I use a syringe.)

When I'm germinating, I check the baggies twice a day so that the newly emerged rootlets don't have time to adhere to the towel. If they do adhere, don't try to separate but cut the towel out around the root.

Plant rootlet down, a good 1/2" deep. The seed case is rubbed off as the seedling emerges. If you have too many cases of "helmet head", it's because you are planting too shallow.

Lots to learn about germinating. Biggest factor IMO is maintaining a steady mid-80s temperature.

Dennis

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> ""I use a mister bottle with 1:20 hydrogen peroxide:water to help prevent mold and mildew from forming.""

Skip the mixing and use the 3% solution you get in the store. Close enough to the 5% solution described above. One bottle of the stuff should last for years.

While you're there, pick up a couple of syringes. Makes H2O2 easy to handle and spot-apply, and with a needle you can use it to inject the starter cells should that become necessary. (anti-damping off)

Dennis

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I have germinated in paper towel in zip bag. Just used plain tap water (probably chlorinated ) and never have had any mold problem.

For other problems I use Camomile tea.

• Delpiero10
    9 years ago

UPDATE: I create Weak hydrogen peroxide solution 2 days ago. The mold stopped growing. It has been seems to have done the job.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions