Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chileluvincanuck

New to the forum

ChileLuvinCanuck
9 years ago

Hello everyone

Just thought that I would say hello to all the forum regulars and fellow newbie's. This is my first season of doing any serious chile growin and am looking forward to pickin the brain of all the wise folks here on this site. I've been following the forum for quite a while and figured it was time to jump in.

CLC

Comments (7)

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

Welcome aboard. You should have joined up a couple months ago and you could have got in on the seed swap. If you need some seeds I still have plenty extras I can send your way.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Welcome. Which ones are you planning to grow? I wish I had more room for them.

• ChileLuvinCanuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am currently growing just a handful of varieties - Butch T, Giant Ghost, Chocolate Habanero, Jalapeno, Cayenne, Takanotsume and some Thai variety called Garden Bird. Unfortunately I didn't do my homework when it came to finding a good seed source as it turns out the one I used isn't all that popular on this site. Don't want to name names but it rhymes with Jepper Poe. From what I've read it could be a real crap shoot with seeds growing true but oh well, gonna be fun growing them out none the less. So far 11 out of 12 seeds have germinated. I also plan on growing Lemon Drop this year when I get the seeds from Baker Creek.

Ozzy - That would be awesome, just tell me what I need to do. I am open to growing anything so whatever you have an abundance of would be very appreciated. Unfortunately I don't currently have any seeds to trade. Hopefully will have some in the not too distant future.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum! As you can see, I am not too far from you.

I have been growing hot peppers for about ten years and superhots now my third year.

My peppers are open pollinated so I can't join in seed exchanges. They seem to grow true though.

Have fun, enjoy all of the helpfulness of this forum!
    Lori

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Welcome, CLC !
    As a newbie, you are in good hands in this forum. I started my serious hot peppers growing last season and got all the help I needed. This season I am expanding into higher territories.

Now, you've got to get the seeds and prepare for germinating. The rest should follow.

Seysonn

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Do not worry about this years seed source choice! Germinate, pamper, grow, harden off then lovingly grow, water, fertilize, fight pests & problems and bring your plants to ripe fruit.... There will be plenty of other issues you'll have to deal with in the next 10 months than worry about seed acquisition choice.

Good luck!

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

Yeah, if this is your first year, I'd recommend you specifically not try to grow anything unusual. Stick to the kinds of things you can get from big box stores like Walmart and Home Depot.

Why?

Because if you accidentally kill something, they're a lot easier to replace when you can just run down to the store and get a live plant to put back in it's place.

Use cheap common peppers for the first year until you get a feel for them, then you can expand out in the following years into the harder stuff.

Mature pepper plants are really hard to kill from mechanical damage (means you can hack 'em apart and they don't care, several actually respond better to being trimmed back than if you left them alone), but they're fairly easy to kill from overwatering. Peppers really don't like having their feet wet.

So yeah, run cheap, easily replaceable stuff the first time around. Get used to watering, fertilizing, and all that, see what kind of issues you run into in your area, etc. Once you know what to expect, you can move on to the fun stuff thats a lot more finicky.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting