Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragon66_gw

My hot pepper

Dragon66
10 years ago

My scorpion hot pepper started. Hopfully I have better luck this time. Any advice or tips at point would be great fully appreciated.

Ron

Comments (15)

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Is it very sunny outside? And does your window get direct light through?Meaning you can pretty much see the sun most time of the day. It looks like you either planted them not deep enough or you are not getting enough light causing it to grow every other way trying to find light. That's just my understanding

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply MorugaMan,

I started the seeds in a paper towel and they were about 1in long, just today planted them in the pots. The NE facing window gets about 5 hours of direct morning sun light. Should I plant them deeper into the pot?

Thanks

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I would supplement them with additional light . Not enough light comes through any window .I use t50 lights and a window I set the lights to 16 hrs. and Let the sun supplement the light.The plants here are 4 weeks old.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Those look like nice plants pepperdave! Dragon, If your willing to making it a little project it really doesn't cost a lot of money unless you want to go crazy and buy all kinds up professional equip but plants can live under cheap circumstances. I grew some awesome looking peppers under a few shop lights using 4' fluorescent light bulbs 32w each. Pretty much the cheapest lighting source electric wise. A small fan to circulate air to prevent bacteria or fungus issues. Buy a timer to make things easier for yourself. Keep light on for 14-16 hours a day. 16 is best. And find a way to surround your plants in reflective material or all white. Survival blanket at Walmart in hunting section is $2. Small Fan $10-$15. Shop fixture and 2 bulbs $25. Make sure you get 3 prong Timer $8. Soil $5. Fertilizer around $10-20. For 1 plant this might be a bit expensive but if your willing to try and grow some nice peppers indoors it's much worth it. Always something to look forward to. I have become addicted

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

My grow area (my closet) without my door on

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow!! Those are some impressive growing ideas. I really don't want that much of plants but I guess I still need to invest in those lights to help my new seeds strive. I really appreciate all the great information from everyone.

I'll keep you all updated on the progress.

Thanks

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey all my new week old plant seems to be doing fine. I was wondering at what stage do start using fertilizer?

Thanks again
    Ron

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey all my new week old plant seems to be doing fine. I was wondering at what stage do start using fertilizer?

Thanks again
    Ron

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of what it looks like now

• User
    10 years ago

Hi,

As best as I can tell your seedlings are looking healthy. I'd like too see a closer shot to determine if you should add a little medium or replant a little lower.

Regarding your fertilizer question, seeds generally have enough stored energy to get the new sprout to the second set of "true" leaves. In addition, a lot of seed starting mediums have small amounts of nutrients added.

When a seed sprouts it unfolds it's "seed" leaves. That's where you sprouts are at. Over the coming days a set of true leaves will form and then another set. At this point it doesn't hurt to start giving them a very weak feeding, say a 5 to 1 diluted 10-10-10 fertilizer (so 2-2-2). As the plant grows you can slowly increase the strength.

Down the road, if you;re growing in a pot, I find that adding a good layer of compost after transplanting up eliminates the need to worry about feeding through the summer.

FWIW,

Bill

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey bill thanks and here is a closer pic. It's my first time growing pepper from seed.

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other one

• User
    10 years ago

Dragon66,

Your new sprouts look fine... they seem to be seated well in your grow mix, I wouldn't disturb them.

Your main focus now should be making sure they get a good amount of artificial light. What appears as a bright window to humans really isn't sufficient for young fruit or vegetable plants.

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 20:21

• Dragon66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill thanks again. I'll post an update when the new leaves appear.

• kclost
    10 years ago

I agree, more light is needed. The first one looks leggy...

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH