Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperdave

saving seeds my method

pepperdave
10 years ago

I see all kinds postings about the danger of handling Super Hots .
Capsicum will go right through any light weight gloves Ive personally hurt myself even with gloves many times. This year I changed my approach . No gloves ! All the harmful parts are inside the pepper, as long as you are careful contact can be avoided. Im not telling anyone to not use gloves Im just pointing out that it can be done. Ive burned my self worse using gloves then without and I save alot of seed

Comments (17)

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Now, go take a whiz... ;-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

If I cut a pepper open with a 36" axe, I would still get capsicum on my fingers. It just happens no matter what. Super hots, I use surgical gloves and even then I still find a way to get it on my hands most of the time.
    Bruce

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

I made the mistake of using the bathroom after handling jalapeños once, and that was it....... Your method look good, but I'll always play it safe now with the gloves :D

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In Harry Truman's words: If you cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen : (grow bell peppers)LOL

But I have a proposition for the sensitive hands :

GREASE YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY FIRST, AND WEAR GLOVES TOO. I call this an invisible glove.

Capsacine is oil and it cannot go through a film of oil (my logic)

• tomt226
    10 years ago

I even get it on my hands every time I grab a handfull of dried Ghosts to make sauce.
    My hands are kind of tough from hard work, but my wife's aren't. One time I pureed a bunch of Ghosts and washed the blender out in soapy water in the sink, and Da Wife (DW) came in behind me and washed something in the same water, which left me on her shid list for a couple of weeks.
    I now have a bio-hazard sign that I put on the counter...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, try to dry some ghost peppers in a food dehydrator in the kitchen and see what the wife has to say....Oh, if you really feel the need to test this out, just make a hotel reservation just before you plug in the dehydrator.
    Bruce

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

My short story. I ate some Moruga Scorpions. Washed hands twice. Went to urinate and 5 minutes later came the burn. Don't touch the mcnuggets. It's a killer

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Try to avoid using the bathroom or rubbing nose or eyes after touching hot peppers/seeds. My peter was on fire!!ð­

• tomt226
    10 years ago

esox07,
    Oh yeah, the dehydrator has been banished from the house to the shop. It used to smell like sawdust, now the hab and ghost smell is on all the equipment. These are Numex Suave Orange sliced in half to dry more quickly. I had this thing running continuously 24/7 for a couple of weeks when the crop came in. Gonna have to get another one...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

TOM: you can buy more trays for that dehydrator. I think the manual says you can run up to 10 or 12 on one of those dehydrators. I have two dehydrators and have about 22-24 trays between them. So, just get another 5 pack of trays unless you figure you will soon out grow that many. You can buy the trays at most stores that you can buy the dehydrators or you can find them online. I am sure Amazon.com sells them for one.
    Bruce

• tomt226
    10 years ago

esox07,
    Thanks, I may have to do that. Trouble is, when I'm drying tepins, Pequins, and Thai's, they get dry long before the habs and ghosts. You can put about a jillion tepins and Pequins on the jerky mats. I need to hire a dwarf or train a monkey to pick those as they're real close to the ground. Takes me about a half-hour to pick two cups. PITA. Plus standing in one place a long time makes me a target for fire ants...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, I just keep my peppers grouped by variety on individual trays. As they dry, you just pull out a tray and process them and let the rest go. In fact, it is a good idea to rotate the trays every 2-4 hours so the peppers or jerky or whatever dries more uniformly.
    I agree on the picking and even watering. I grow most of my plants in containers and I built a shelf along the front of our deck that i put the containers on. The shelf is about 3' or so off the ground which puts the peppers at face level. I also grow peppers in a raised garden in the back which is about 4' off the ground. I have a bad back and it makes the harvesting, watering and weeding sooooo much easier on the back.
    Bruce

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Nice set up, and good looking, healthy plants.
    Does mowin' that long grass hurt yer back too? DW would never fall for that'un... ;-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Bruce

• tomt226
    10 years ago

LMAO

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Dang, How am I going to sneak a "Lawn Mower Lift" past my wife. Gotta have one now. Keepin' up with the Jones's.
    Bruce

• tomt226
    10 years ago

Tell her it's a safer alternative than cranking it up under a tree with a come-along. Which it really is. Plus it makes it easier on yer back too.
    You could always tell her: "Honey, what's a good day for the backhoe operator to come dig the mower servicing pit?"
    ;-)

Sponsored