Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aknod

Bacterial leaf spot?

aknod
10 years ago

Hi. I have chilli peppers, tomatoes, lettuce and some herbs growing indoors in hydroponics (shared res). I just recently found an infection of spider mites. I also noticed one plant that had leafs with spots (picture attached). It was also the plant that had spider mites and I just assumed that was damage from the mites. The problem with the leaf has spread to other chilli plants, but has not affected tomatoes and lettuce. I starting thinking Bacterial leaf spot was the cause but after researching I am starting to think not as BLS requires humid air. Can someone confirm via the picture that BLS is the problem and suggest treatment? I would prefer non chemical as I am growing leafy greens as well. As i mentioned I have a shared reservoir and the problem has spread, either via the mites or res. Should I remove all infected plants? All plants period? Can I recover from BLS? Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• sjetski
    10 years ago

That is not like any bacterial leaf spot that i've seen.

What treatments you could use would depend on what is causing the problem, A) Bacterial, B) Fungal, C) Viral, D) Pests.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, i do not know the proper treatment for spider mites. But there is a broad spectrum treatment that covers bacterial and fungal infections, copper-sulfate mix. Copper works well against bacteria whereas the sulphur component works well for fungal. Look for the words "copper-sulfate" on the bottle to make sure you are getting the right product, and concentrated formulas are your best bang for the buck. I would spray the plants outside, and let it dry for a tiny bit before bring them back inside. Use gloves and be sure to wash off anything that may drip onto your skin, remove your clothing and throw it into the wash because the ingredients are skin irritants.

While i would look to get it treated asap, i would wait for more and hopefully better opinions before running out to the gardening store. There is a chance that it may be Viral (?). I would also try to isolate the infected plants.

Good luck either way.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 12:33

• aknod
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I added a few more pictures from different infected plants. Pictures look like BLS based on picture I found on internet, but that may because I am looking for that. This problem started with one plant and spread to 3 other plants that share the same res. Tomato, lettuce, basil, chives and a few other chilli plants also share same rez but are not affected. Maybe other plants are healthier and have just not become infected yet? Infected plants have new leafs that are not infected. Also it's middle of winter for me and humidity is very low.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Just checked Google images, you may be right. The bacterial spot that i've seen usually involves larger and less frequent spots fringed with yellow. I suppose different types of bacteria, or different modes of transmission can affect what it looks like.

Also, if you haven't taken care of the spider mite problem, then you'll need to treat that asap, hopefully better informed people will chime in.

Steve,

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of the BLS i was referring to:

This post was edited by sjetski on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 13:34

• dessert_gardener
    9 years ago

Hi Aknod,

I have exactly the same problem on my chilli plant. Did you manage to find any solutions?

• aknod
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No I did not find a solution. I ended up killing the plants and starting again from seed. Plz let me know if you find out anything else.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

What have you sprayed, if anything?

Kevin

• uncleflip
    9 years ago

My local gardening shop-- which specializes in organic gardening-- recommended neem oil. I got a spray solution, which is used as a pesticide and a fungicide.

Hard to say whether it helped, as I had some deeper issues with the wrong kind of soil and too much water retention, that were apparently contributing to the fungal spotting on my plants. I corrected that, and the spotted leaves are now almost gone from leaf drop, and have been replaced with the beginnings of new growth.

• Katy Peterson
    7 years ago

I have the same thing! What ended up happening? Wondering if I should pull my plant from the garden before anything spreads :(

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio