Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jifjifjif

Bhut Jolokia or no?

jifjifjif
11 years ago

Hi, all.

This is my first post. I just joined the forum today.
I received seeds from a friend who said they were Bhut Jolokia seeds. My plant its growing nicely. I have 20 peppers on it right now.
My question is......is this definitely a Bhut Jolokia plant i have? Thanks in advance.

Comments (26)

• capsicummaximum
    11 years ago

It's one of the smoother varieties, but looks like a bhut to me, a little closer to the dorset naga, but I doubt anyone would contest it's a bhut. Mine are all alot pimplier, but there is a lot of variation depending on the seed source.

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool. Thanks for the input.

• User
    11 years ago

It's hard to gauge the pod size from your shot bit given the shape, I'd lean towards a Dorset Naga as well.

A, "proper" if you will, Bhut or Bih Jolokia should look like these pods...

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

It is true.
    Caelian

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After looking at pictures of dorset nagas, i would have to agree.
    Thanks, all.

• rdback
    11 years ago

"After looking at pictures of dorset nagas, i would have to agree."

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some folks prefer the Dorset over the Bhut for heat and flavor. And if you're chasing heat, Dorsets can certainly melt your face.

Rick

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I agree. Not a Bhut, but very likely a Naga.
    These were Dorsets, I believe.

• User
    11 years ago

Those look like Dorsets to me too Josh ;-) Love the stinger on the one to the left!

jifjifjif, as Rick said, it's not necessarily a bad thing. There ain't noting wrong with the Dorset.

All of the Jolika / Naga / Mircha varieties come from the general Assam region of India. They're all genetically related and share similar heat and flavour.

If I recall correctly, the Dorset came from seeds collected in the Bangladesh area. It's called Dorset Naga because someone got the seed, grew it out in Dorset England and marketed it as the "Dorset Naga".

If you're looking for heat and an interesting flavour, you'll enjoy the Dorset Naga.

FWIW,

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 21:28

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. Thanks alot for all the comments and interesting info, guys. I appreciate it. I am hoping to get my seed catalog in the mail soon, because growing this dorset has really given me a good look at what will be my new hobby. I am interested in growing numex twilight for my wife and some butch Ts and Jamaican hot chocolate habaneros for me. :)

Thanks again!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Thanks, Bill!
    I got the seeds from a reliable source ;-)
    Just for good measure, here's a shot of ripe Naga Morich pods, Jif. Very similar to Naga Dorset,
    but the pods seemed to have a flatter profile along one axis, and were less uniform in general.
    Either way, can't go wrong for heat and flavor and cool looking pods.

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its all very exciting. Especially when you are just starting out into the world of pepper growing.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, its also something you'll have to watch out for. If you aren't getting your seed from a very reliable source you are likely to not get what you ordered.

Ghost peppers and the other nuclear hots fetch a pretty penny and are harder to get seeds for than other peppers, so a lot of vendors will substitute cheaper/easier to find seeds and hope you just don't notice. Or they will not know themselves and will be selling Nagas as Bhuts because they just don't know the difference.

I've found Hippy Seed Company down in Australia to be a very reliable source for rare nuclear peppers.

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These seeds came from one of those metal soda cans wrapped in a chili pepper paper as a "ghost chili starter kit in a can"
    I have a catalog coming from tomatogrowers.com soon and will get some seeds from them. I have heard good things about this company.

• User
    11 years ago

jifjifjif,

You don't have email enabled on your profile. Send me one via mine.

Bill

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice pictures, folks, really nice looking pods.

• HarunAlMalik
    11 years ago

Here's one of my bhuts from last season. They don't look long enough to really be bhut jolokia.

• User
    11 years ago

The pods on the pic you posted in the picture thread look like the real deal?

This is not the best picture but any Bhut I've grown puts out the majority of pods in the 2 to 3 inch range. For reference:

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 20:15

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jifjifjif,

You don't have email enabled on your profile. Send me one via mine.

Bill

Ok, i have enabled email. Sending you one now.

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

JifJifJif,

Dont do it!!!! Ask here before you purchase from..... IMO

• User
    11 years ago

LMAO Bill Missy. I don't sell seed so I hope you weren't referring to me!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

Not at all Ottawapepper. Not you at all. A comment 8 up from here . :)

• mb13
    11 years ago

Can some suggest a reliable source for Bhut jolokia seeds or seedlings? thnx

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I have some op bhut seeds from last year. If you send me an e-mail with your address, I'll send you some. Here's a picture of my bhuts from last year.

Tim

• mb13
    11 years ago

peppernovice, email sent (via GW)! If you didn't get it let me know at mbryant51375 (at thing) gmail (little period thing) com. Thnx

This post was edited by mb13 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 22:15

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to my man, ottawapepper, i have real Bhut seeds now. :)

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

MB13......you have mail!

Tim

Sponsored