Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's take a walk on the mild side- suggestions?

Posted by sunnibel7 Md 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 13:46

It's time for me to order seeds again and this year I would like to try one or two new peppers. I can't eat bells and because of that I am suspicious of all sweet peppers (some nonbells produce the same unpleasant reaction) but so far all hot peppers have been good. Well, except for a distinct burning sensation. I can only take so much heat!

So I was wondering if you all could mention some of your favorite milder hot peppers? I love my Aji Pineapples, so fruity and fresh tasting. I love them as hot sauce or pickled. I like my cayennes for making pepper flakes and adding heat with little flavor to cooking and I like my jalapenos for their heat and their flavor. Especially with cheese. I think flavor is the big draw for me, and suggested uses for any recommended peppers are also welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's take a walk on the mild side- suggestions?

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 14:08

I love Beaver Dam. I saute most of them with my scrambled eggs/cheese.
If I have enough I like to broil in the oven with just cream cheese or whatever else you'd like to add like bacon, ground beef, sharp cheddar.

o

Aji Limon
Red Savina
Habanero TFM
Jalapeno
Bishops Crown

o

I've got some aji dulce going... I can't vouch for the flavor personally but everything I've been told makes me very excited.. It's supposed to be a delicious mild pepper

o

A few non-Bell suggestions for you:

Alma Pepper
Botinecka Zuta
Tobago Sweet
Numex Sauve
Kurtovska Kapija
Christmas Bell / Bishops Crown
Numex Sweet

Bill

o

The GF and I like NuMex Big Jim (I'm sure other NuMex / Anaheim types would be worth consideration as well).

Also, you could consider Poblanos/Ancho, another one I use quite a bit.

o

A am also mostly on the mild side.
This year I will grow followings:

HABANERO ,,, TOBASCO ,, THAI ,,, FRESNO,,, HUNGARIAN HOT WAX ,,, SERRANO ,,, MANZANO ,,, CUBANELLE ,,, GYPSY ,,, CHILACA ,, ANAHEIM ,, SHISHITO ,,, PEPPERONCINI

I use peppers mostly as vegetable in cooking, frying, pickling. I do some hot sauce too.

o

trying some milder varieties this year also, urfa biber and Aleppo

o

Chilaca

photo chilaca2-1.jpg

o

Ooo, thanks for all the thoughts so far! I think I remember Beaver Dam being recommended other times too. And also the big jim. That chilaca looks beautiful. Peppers seem to grow so well here and now that I've conquered my ant problem, they seem to have no really problematic pests. So I want to grow more and learn better how to cook with them. I wish I could just taste all the peppers recommended- it's so hard to decide!

o

Alma paprika is a great cooking pepper - thick flesh with fair heat.

Try growing some more C.baccatums too. Lemon Drop, Rain Forest, Starfish, etc. I really like the ones I've tried and not all that hot.

Dennis

o

Numex Suave Orange habanero. Intense hab flavor, dries well, only 800 on the scoville. Remove the seeds and pith and there's no heat.
Corno Del Toro. Spanish frying pepper. Red and yellow varieties.
All available from tomatogrowers.com...

o

I like Chervena Chushka. It's fairly large, good for stuffing. And I think it has good flavor. I tried several sweets this year and this will be my regular.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here