Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperchuck

Pepperchuck 2015 grow

pepperchuck
9 years ago

I plan on doing a pretty big grow this year and want to try to keep track of it. I figure the best way to do that is to post it here so I can also share with everyone. Also, if I'm publicly posting pictures it may motivate me to weed the garden more :).

So I'm just going to start with my grow list up to now:

30 reaper
6 madballz 7pot
6 bubble gum 7pot
6 chaguana 7pot
6 albino trinidad congo
6 sepia serpent
6 douglah
48 brain{{gwi:807}} strain red
72 chocolate scorpion
6 peach bhut
6 orange scorpion
6 medusa
6 yellow 7pot
6 jonah 7 pot
6 chilitepin
6 primo 7 pot
6 jalapeño
54 red ghost

288 seeds sown with a lot of hooks and cotyledon, when I get true leaves I will start posting pictures{{gwi:807}}

More seeds waiting to be sown :)

-chuck

This post was edited by pepperchuck on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 14:40

Comments (14)

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Holy cow chuck... And here I felt ambitious with 24 peppers this year of various kinds. Sheesh.
    I'm also kind of wondering what kind of 7pot seed I have now- I didn't realize there were so many, and the trade packet was only marked 7pot, not any particular kind.

I'm looking forward to pics as you grow along!

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like to give/sell a lot of spicy treats (a whole lot). Due to popular demand I had to ramp up the grow. Which is cool with me as it is one of my favorite parts of this crazy hobby.

If it is just labeled 7 pot, it makes me think it's just the true breed 7 pot. Not one of the crazy twists.. but yes there are a lot of different 7 pots.. very tasty and hot segment of the pepper world. They are my focus this year.
    -chuck

• backwoodswife
    9 years ago

Looks great! I wanted to Thank you too, I have some of you brainstrain, cho scorpions and white ghost from the swap. Really looking forward to them this year! Thanks!

• jtight
    9 years ago

Chuck - be sure to let me know how the Albino Congo turns out.

List looks similar to mine for 2015, alot of hot; however, multiple flavors/colors/variety. Good luck in 2015.

Johnny

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Backwoodswife- those were some of my favorite plants last season. Very big producers! I think you'll be very pleased with them :)

Johny- I will definitely keep you up to date on the albino trinidad congo. Do you have any pictures of the phenotype you are after?
    -chuck

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

So what do you do to keep all those different pepper strains pure for seed collection? Bag whole plants, or branches, or have a lot of distance between them or what?

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use a panty hose type material to net off certain branches until pod set. Then I mark the branch and let ripen.
    -chuck

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

As fine as panty hose eh? I've been wondering about what material to use, and have heard a lot of different information about it. Since this is my first year of doing a goodly variety of hots, and I want to try to save seed from them all, this is good information to know.

I can always find pantyhose at the resale shops for extra cheap- I wouldn't wear them, but yeah, I can totally cut them up and use them for bagging branches.

It would be wonderful of you if when the time comes, you post up a few pics of what this bagging looks like. You are zones ahead of me, so following what you are doing is going to be really helpful.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

You can also get fine mesh nylon tulle from fabric stores, to cover your plants. Unlike panty hose they are not stretchable and so are easier to work with.

Seysonn

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beesneeds- I will definitely keep this thread updated. I want to document my year and why not share it with everyone while I do it.
    seysonn- that tulle stuff would work great also! Really what I'm trying to do is prevent the pollinators from doing what they do. The peppers will take care of themselves.
    don't get me wrong though... I love my bees!

This post was edited by pepperchuck on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 22:23

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Started potting up. Anything that had at least a hook I moved up to the next size.

{{gwi:2130077}}

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Now you are talking, Chuck. Nice setup.
    What is your expected plant out date down there ? Early March ?

Good Luck !

Seysonn

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Early March is what I usually shoot for. I like to judge it by the lawn. When it all goes back to green it tells me the soil temps are close enough to good. Then I check the forecast, if any frost is in the near future I wait it out, but if not, in the ground they go. I'm actually taking a break from bed prep right now. Gotta get back to it.
    -chuck

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Chuck, ..I think you have got the right timing. By early March, say 7th, your plants will be about 7 - 8. weeks old. Down there summer comes early.

Have a great grow season !

Seysonn

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville