Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Best Bonchi Peppers?

Edymnion
9 years ago

Welp, other thread turned me onto the Cumari do Para as being a very good pepper to make a bonchi out of. Small fruit, good flavor, attractive flowers, etc. Already ordered some seeds for it, it looks so good.

Anyone else have recommendations? I'm already doing one project for a big pepper (the Carolina Reaper), but I always have room for some small ornamentals.

Criteria:
*Ornamental - Pods must be small, with small leaves. So ornamental varieties would be best.
*Flowers - Pretty flowers would be very nice. The cumari has a very pretty purple and white flower, for example.
*Flavor - Something that tastes good would be nice, low heat preferred so I can just pop 'em.

Like I said, already ordered the cumari, so thats definitely in. I'm also sprouting some seeds from my old NuMex Halloween (hope those are still viable, its been about 2 years, should be okay), but maybe somebody is sitting on the perfect pepper I don't know about?

Comments (12)

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Also Chinese 5 Color, Chilly Chili, Explosive Ember.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I second Numex Twilight and Chinese 5 color. In the birds eye types. I am growing Tepin.

Seysonn

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

It'll be interesting to see what you guys can do with the Cumari. I have never had the time to get into bonchi, but i have thought about it and the Cumari looks like a perfect canidate to me

• simsedward
    9 years ago

I grew a pepper about four years ago called a five color marble. Not sure if that's the same one mentioned by seysonn but it would be a good candidate. Very small leaves, tiny peppers, all different colors.mtrunks grew thick in ine season too.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

You've already gotten a few good suggestions, edymnion.

Small leaves, not ornamental necessarily though. Any of the many Thai varieties. Serrano? Cascabella is a nice compact, small leaved, pretty pods. Serrano might be a PITA though since the branches are somewhat spindly.

I agree on the Pequin also, but the fruit are deciduous. Once ripe, a good breeze or shake will knock all of them off.

Look forward to seeing your artwork. You definitely have a talent for it!

Kevin

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

My Gawd John, what am I going to do with all these seeds?! All I can say is thank you very much. I wish I had something else to offer in exchange, but what do you get for a guy who already has everything? :-)

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I have a pepper that I grow that was given to me as "tabasco" but it's an odd one. the plant never gets above 10" tall, with tiny leaves, and tiny upright pods. tiny lil plant, but puts out hundreds of pods. I think this one would be the ideal one for this purpose, except that it doesn't need to be bonchi'd. it stays small on its own.

I can send seeds if you want them. but in exchange I wanna see pics posted if you grow it.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Jason,

Same here, any ideas what it is? i haven't really looked yet.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I've tried to look. I haven't seen any mention of a dwarf pepper plant anywhere. I thought maybe my plant was just stunted, but someone that I sent seeds to last year posted pics of a plant that looked just like mine.

I'm probably gonna plant 5-6 of them this year. just on account of how very little space they take up, and how awesome the pods are. pain in the ass to spray for bugs though.

come to think of it, it's already the middle of january, and I haven't even started germinating anything yet. holy crap time flies.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Jason,

Where did you get the seeds from? Like you said, very productive. I labeled mine as a Tabasco-ground cover cross and didn't send it out to anyone. I will probally grow a couple of them this year again..I didn't measure, but i would even say 10 inches was pushing it. Mine were maybe 6-8 inches tall

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I got a seedling from a friend, who had taken the seeds out of a pod given to him by a former coworker, who called it "tabasco" and got it from someone else. so that's a total dead end for me in terms of tracking it by the source. where did you get yours?

I say we need to start spreading the seeds from this one. it's an awesome pepper for people with space limitations.

I am gonna grow out a few this year, and take some good pics, and try to get to the bottom of this mystery.

to the OP: sorry for the thread derail.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner