Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

3rd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

highalttransplant
12 years ago

Okay, this Incredible Edibles swap was scheduled for March, but I just can't wait any longer to get started. Plus, the earlier start date will mean most people will get their seeds back in time to use them for this growing season.

To sign up, just follow the link below, as the swap is posted on the Round Robin Forum.

I'm posting this on other forums as well, so it should be a good turnout. Hope you will join me!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: 3rd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

Comments (23)

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

Need a donation?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Smokemaster! I sure don't want to turn down any offer from you. Let me check the seedboxes to see what I have left from last year's swap, and I'll send you an email. Thank you for your generous spirit!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Smokemaster, you have mail : )

BTW, for those of you trying to decide whether or not to join, I've had 18 people sign up so far, and the swap has only been posted for 24 hours. With a whole month to go, I think this is going to be BIG swap. Great for the participants, since it increases the selection available, and you will be more likely to get your wishlist items. For me on the other hand, I'm thinking I better stock up on the coffee. I see some long nights in my future, LOL!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

This is a great thing you are doing. However, even though you are running this earlier than last year, you are missing out on a whole lot of pepper growers that already have or will be starting seeds in the next week or so. I might suggest you run this in December or early January next year to get the max participation. Also, that time is a lot less busy for most veggy growers.
    {{gwi:1139558}}
    Bruce

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bruce, I appreciate the input. I realize that there are those that start their peppers in January/February. In fact, I've already sown over 20 varieties myself, though I still have about 40 types of annums that will be sown in a couple more weeks.

Here is my thinking behind the date selected. December, pretty quite around the forums, with all of the holiday busyness. I know I personally am maxed out schedule wise, and there is no way I could host a swap that month. January, lots of folks are going through their seedboxes, perusing catalogs, placing orders. Basically, getting organized for the season. By now, they know what's in their inventory, and what they are interested in growing.

Actually, I could have posted the swap a couple of weeks earlier, but I schedule all of the swaps for the Incredible Edibles on the Round Robin Forum, and the tomato swap is also going on right now. I was trying to let the sign ups for that one finish up before I started mine. That way, people that planned to do both, weren't overwhelmed with getting packages ready for both swaps at the same time.

That might have been more explanation than you were looking for, LOL. Anyway, the good news is that pepper seeds stay viable for several years if properly stored. People that have already sown this year's crop, can always save them for next time.

Best wishes,
    Bonnie

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Point taken. I hope it is a huge success. But I guess that would mean you will be really busy.
    Good luck to all,
    Bruce

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

I too am thrilled about this :D though I already have 34 varieties in the ground :) well in dixie cups, and 30 actual plants in the ground.

Being new to the forum I didn't know about seed swaps like this, and would have more than likely saved more seed lol... well there is always next year.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yep, we throw away a lot of seeds every year that a lot of others would love to have. I have mailed seeds out to about a dozen others already this year and I didn't even plan on it. My stock is getting pretty thin now.
    Bruce

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just bumping this one back to page 1, since there is still a couple weeks left to sign up.

Currently 25 participants signed up, and several donations on their way.

Come check it out!

Bonnie

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

The seeds for you are going out tomorrow.
    I already packed them up and they are in the out box.

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Thanks for doing this.
    Sign me up please!

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

I'm going to try and get mine out today, I've had trouble finding the little envelopes/ziplocks that people ship their seeds in.

• romy6
    12 years ago

My donations went out today. Best of luck to all. Bonnie is a great host!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome to the swap, Simsedward! You member page does not have your email address listed. You will need to add that, or email me through my member page, so that I can send you my mailing address. - Thanks!

Mike, did my envelope get there already? Man, that was fast!

Jsschrstrcks, I had a lot of trouble with that last year. Fortunately, a couple of folks in the swap were kind enough to send me some extra baggies. Our Walmart was out for quite a while, as the drug dealers tend to buy them all. Hoping I don't run into that problem again this time.

Thank you, Jamie, for your donation!!!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Speaking of drug dealers. Seems every time I go into a store to buy something for my peppers and a retail associate comes up and asks if they can help, I tell them what I am looking for and inevitibly, if I haven't made it clear that I am buying it to start pepper plants indoors, they look at me with that look "Hmmmmm, I wonder what strain of Marijuana he is growing?"

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bruce, you must be giving off that hippy vibe, LOL! Try shopping at a hydroponics store instead. They'll only look at you funny if they find out you're NOT a "grower".

Just wanted to remind folks that they can still sign up. The deadline for your seeds to reach me is February 28, which is now 10 business days away. Just follow the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3rd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

bringing this back up to the top! 4 more shipping days left before christma.... err the seed swap deadline.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Ken!

There are a couple of folks that just mailed today, so I will wait for any packages that are in route BEFORE the 28th.

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

12 left i think (at least from the forums I'm aware of), and already 300 seed packets? Any idea how many varieties?

• John A
    12 years ago

Hi Bonnie,
    I know this is late, but I have a lot of seeds I can't use. I have only 1 request, and that is for Sandias. Am I too late to join in? Please send me an e-mail.
    Thanks,
    John A

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi John! You have mail : )

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those of you in this swap, a last call list has been posted. It's first come, first served, so check it out before every thing's gone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Last Call List

• simsedward
    12 years ago

I got my seeds today...and I must say, I am more than pleased. great variety.. Thanks for the bonuses....and THANKS for doing this.
    Truly appreciated.

Sponsored