Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilemilio

aphid scorn

chilemilio
13 years ago

I give up.. I've been trying for a few years now to not use any chemical sprays on my plants. tried all kinds of "organic" solutions (soaps, garlic, chile spice, oils, etc..), nothing ever really worked for getting rid of the occasional aphid infestation... besides giving the plants a serious trim.

I've had a bunch of chile plants indoors since October, and they recently got invaded by aphids.. i have my suspicions, but no real idea where they came from

I've read various recommendations for diff chemical agents to use... but can anyone suggest an easy to find general purpose pesticide (aphids and caterpillars) to buy that is safe for edible veggies and herbs?

Thanks and regards. -E

Comments (14)

• biscgolf
    13 years ago

rotenone.

• User
    13 years ago

Have you tried adding rubbing alcohol to your soap spray at a rate of 2 or 3 parts soap mix to alcohol? Isopropyl alcohol is deadly to living things but evaporates fast enough that it does not damage plants. Three mists over 10 days should kill em!

• fiedlermeister
    13 years ago

• tinley244
    13 years ago

I agree, I had the same problem with aphids on some plants that I brought in for the winter and the aphids quickly moved on to the seedling I had started. I bought some ladybugs and the aphids were gone in a week.

• hubris007
    13 years ago

What fiedlermeister said. I absolutely love late January/early february as the lady beetles start crawling out of whatever godforsaken hole they come from and start getting into everything. The one bonus is..no aphids...at all.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/?action=viewät=MVI_2288.mp4

• chilemilio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

No luck with the local spot that usually carries ladybugs.. they said its been too cold lately

I like the alcohol concept. just mixed some up.. and trimmed the chiles a bit. hope to have a positive update in about a week.

regards,
    E

• schism
    13 years ago

I had the worst aphid invasion I'd ever had. They were relentless. I bought 2500 ladybugs and they barely put a dent in them. I sprayed my plants down every day with water, turning every leaf over and rinsing them. Garli, hot pepper powder, nothng organic did it. Eventually used Sevin, to no avail. Then used something called "eight" I got at the local nursery. they guy there told me he was so sure it would work he didn't charge me for it. he said if it works, come back and pay for it. It didn't work. Finally used a mixture of Murphy's oil soap, water and alcohol. Finally killed the little ba$t@rds.

• zelicindy
    13 years ago

Glad to hear we aren't the only ones to use Murphy's oil soap on the aphids. It DOES work!! While inside I do keep a close eye on the plants and just wipe the leaves when needed.

• jesky
    13 years ago

I wish I had the "problem" of ladybug infestations - probably not inside of my house, like that, but I love those little critters.

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

I have a large outbreak of aphids going on now in my SW Florida garden. They started in the mustard greens so I harvested a ton and ripped out the rest but it was too late as they had spread into my collards and broccoli. I have been hitting them with Safer's Soap and BT for the few cats I find in the greens.

The soap seems to kill all the aphids that it contacts but a million more just show up over the next day or two. I guess I will just keep spraying and hope I can kill enough to break the cycle.

My peppers are young and still in smaller pots so I washed the aphids off of them and moved them a distance away from the main garden where the infestation is still pretty heated.

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    13 years ago

Schism, what ratio of murphy's oil soap, water and alcohol?

• hubris007
    13 years ago

I haven't ever tried it, but i've read it a few times:

One pack unfiltered cigarettes in 1 gallon of water. Let sit for 24 hours and use liquid to spray your plants. I have read a couple places that it works better if you mix in a little bit of dish soap. Take it for what it cost you. :)

• zelicindy
    13 years ago

How do I measure the Murphys soap and water?? Great....kinda like an old family receipe. Take a mixing bowl...splash of Murphys (maybe a quarter of a cup)....fill bowl 3/4 way with warm water and mix. I have nevwer used the alcohol. Take a paper towel, dip it in, and wipe off all the leaves. Make sure you get the under sides since that is where alot of the little critters hide!! May have to do it again afew times, but we do have pretty good luck with this. And in the summer while the plants are outside we put the mixture in a week killer spray jug.....the kind you have to pump, and that works great. Good Luck!!

• chilemilio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its been a few weeks.. I tried the water, hand soap, and alcohol mix. more water than then other two.. The chiles are happily rid of the aphid infestation. I've found an occaisional little green bug, so i'm doing a once a week spray overnight. Thanks all for the tips.
    -E

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting