Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper joe legit?

Posted by mistyreiny (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 15:20

I'm looking at buying a crazy amount of seeds from pepper joe. As in $400 worth of seeds. The seeds are as follows. Carolina reaper, ghost, giant ghost, paper lantern, volcano in a box, fire in a box, 8 pack tomatoes, brain strain 7 pot, yellow devils tongue, red savina, box of dynamite, chocolate scorpion, yellow moruga, buch t scorpion, naga viper, douglah pepper, yellow7 pot, red brain strain, naga morich, yellow ghost, francisca, fatalii, chocolate habanero, scotch bonnet, Caribbean chili and habanero, Tasmanian habanero, white habanero, golden habanero, Jamaican pepper, spicy mustard, chipotle jalape�o, Fresno, maules red, jalape�o lover 5pack, cayenne bush 8fter (tree), Yahtzee, Thai sun, Tabasco, cayenne 6 pack, 5color marble, cascabella, peperoncini, fushimi sweet, Bolivian rainbow, Peter pepper rainbow, ancho, atomic starfish, datil, yellow lemon drop, filius blue, chili hot, paprika, corona di toro, yellow corno di toro, Antonio Romanian, canary yellow, mini bell, chocalate bell, king of the north, Aconcagua, golden Marconi, sweet banana, sweet crimson, cubanelle, keystone and Chinese giant.
I'm seriously looking at starting a small business by growing this amount of peppers, then planting their seeds gathered from the peppers, into growing up to thousands of plants and harvesting and selling the peppers both whole and ground into a powder. For me with this sheer number of plants, the only way to go is hydroponics. I have researching joe's deeply to determine if he is legit or not. I found one guy who's not. Robsrareandgiantseeds.com scam artist the whole way. Hundreds of negative reviews on amazon. I looked up pepper joe one site, he's legit, another he's not, raises cost and makes up names for profit. Note, I know I doubled up by putting down packs and didn't remove their containing seeds. I am looking for first hand testimonial regarding germination rate, and if the seeds he sent are what they grew. As well as does he back his guarrentee on germination rate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper joe legit?

Also I am looking for a site that is as thorough as pepper joe. The only Reqs are they must have reaper and ghost.

o

I am a newbie, so just take my opinion with a grain of salt. I ordered Carolina Reapers from him just a few months ago, and have had only one seed germinate out of 24 viable looking seeds that I received (purchased 20). Going on 11 days now, so have a few days to go before I give up.

Now, I'm using the paper towel method and a heating mat, so that will probably sacrifice many of the seeds compared to the traditional method. But I am also germinating 7-pots, Murugas, and Fatalli Reds and am having 20 times (20 to 1) the germination rates on those (so far). Same method, same temp, same moisture. Those seeds came out of ripe pods last season from fellow forum members.

Again, just my two cents, grain of salt, opinion... Don't expect high germination rates, the way I did it. I'm sure you will hear many different opinions though.

Update 2/8/14 - I have had a total of 6 Carolina Reaper Seeds Germinate out of 24. The first set of leaves also have a hard time sprouting free from the seed itself.

This post was edited by kclost on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 10:07

o

There are many internet seed stores. Not every one might have everything you want. But at $400 ticket, you can procure your seed needs from two, three or more sources.
Just google pepper seeds,

I know one site with limited number of varieties. It is Sample Seed Shop. The prices are right at $1.50 or less.They are more dedicated to tomatoes then peppers though.

o

I'll preface this by saying I am not a customer of this vendor nor will I be in the future.

Type his name into the search engine at the top right, go get some popcorn and a beverage of your choice, sit back and get ready to read some long threads where this vendor is mentioned.

o

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

o

To bill missy, plz explain your comment with I ordered from him and I never received the seeds or zero germination or the seeds were not whatever they were stated to be or whatever your reasoning is. On a side note; thank you seysonn, the name of sample seed shop is what I really needed. The names of legit seed shops. I don't really want to go onto amazon to get reaper and super hot seeds, for you will not know what you bought until 9 months later. As is my problem right now.
Now I really need a shop with all the super hots: reaper, 7 pot, scorpion, definitely red savina, and chocolate versions of at least one. I don't care if multiple sites get listed that together meet all the superhots

This post was edited by mistyreiny on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 16:46

o

I strongly suggest what NEOGUY stated above. I have posted to several threads on this matter and I strongly recommend you read those threads before you purchase from that vendor. This is just my thoughts, recommendations and advice in regards to this subject.

Bill

o

Do some research with this vendor. In the past, he has hired attorneys to write letters threatening lawsuits for defaming him or Penny, or for negative posts about his product to deflect any blame from himself. He will almost always come after you if you have a negative comment or review and always beware of the threat of a lawsuit.

Caveat Emptor with this vendor.

This is not the kind of vendor I want to deal with.

Not to mention the confirmed and blatant fact they renamed varieties for marketing purposes.

o

Do some research with this vendor. In the past, he has hired attorneys to write letters threatening lawsuits for defaming him or Penny, or for negative posts about his product to deflect any blame from himself. He will almost always come after you if you have a negative comment or review and always beware of the threat of a lawsuit.

Caveat Emptor with this vendor.

This is not the kind of vendor I want to deal with.

Not to mention the confirmed and blatant fact they renamed varieties for marketing purposes.

o

Sorry for the duplicate message

o

i will save my comments about joe to myself. but i will probably not buy from him again. if you want ed curries smoking eds Carolina reaper tm seeds then i would recommend https://www.buckeyepepper.com//

o

Mistyreiny, I would not buy from him just on hearsay. Also I hear he sells seeds at a dollar a piece, what are they made of gold or can I smoke those seed and get crazy high?
Anyway if your in NJ I would love to get in on a business.
Carolina Reaper is protect by laws, it can not be grown for sale in the form of fruit, plant and seed without permission. I think that should be against the law but that is just my opinion. I have some reaper seeds from a seed trade and I plant on growing them out and giving away as many seeds as I can just to say ha! What you have done is wrong. Just like Monsanto, they own Caribbean Red, why? Because they can.

Some of the seeds you are looking for I have an abundance of. Check the link, free seeds for everyone!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Seeds For Everyone

This post was edited by LeafEricson on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 17:52

o

in all the time I've been reading about hot peppers online, I've yet to see a single positive thing said about pepper joe. everything from buying one variety and receiving another, to not receiving anything at all, to not having any germination. add to that the fact that he is charging ridiculous amounts of money and trying to pretend he owns the rights to seeds (who is he, monsanto?) and it's just one big bunch of fail. seriously, what redeeming qualities does he have?

look up hell hot peppers. I bought seeds from them last year. reasonable prices, great customer service, great germination rates, and everything grew true. he has most of the items on your list, if not all of them (been a while since I looked).

o

Scratch buying from pepper joes, I decided not to deal with him, why waste 6-9 months for the wrong pepper to grow?im just gonna run with reputable companies like gurneys, burpees, the sample seed shop anybody know of anything else?

o

I would suggest trade winds fruit company. They sell alot of seeds and at a fair price. Never dealt with that other vendor as I was skeptical as well. Good luck. Also I think it is crazy for someone to claim they own the seeds or strain. Grow them and sell them, they belong to you. Good luck!

o

Sample Seed is a great small vendor; I've been very happy with their seeds and service. And Remy has been a GW member for many years.
http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=2797

o

I've bought many live plants from Cross Country Nurseries, and they have been the true plant as advertised. They sell seeds
, but I have not ever ordered seeds from them. However as stated, the live plants are exactly what I ordered, and all have arrived healthy.

o

I harvested seeds from my plants that I bought from them, and germinated some by paper towel method, and some by direct sowing 3 weeks ago, and had excellent results.
I am only a customer, and have no affiliation whatsoever with them. I just ordered 6 new varieties of plants from them for this year.

o

Trade or SASBE.
PM me.
The name is,to my knowledge copywrited for Ed's reaper.
You can call what you grow anything but the copywrited name.
Lots of REAPER seeds and pods going around out there.

Lots of reaper versions out there,I personally don't think it is stable.
On a personal note,I wouldn't buy from PJ EVER again after the crap I got from him for posting my experiences with being his customer at one time.

I'm suprised he hasn't already posted how great he is on this post yet...
Maybe facebook is keeping him busy these days or?

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 21:03

o

Cross Country Nurseries is now an official seller of Carolina Reaper. So if you insist on buying seeds then I can reassure you they are a very reputable grower. I went to their greenhouses last year and they are wonderful, everything I bought grew true to its name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Country Nurseries

o

mistyreiny, send me an email at pier_man0909@yahoo.com

I may be able to help. I have heard some good things about pepper joe and some bad things. way too many bad things for me to buy from him.

o

Crosscountry nurseries all the way. Without a doubt. Sorta local too, in New Jersey, I'm delaware. Just across the bay lol.

o

Cross country nurseries unless anybody has anything bad to say about them. I did see the one negative comment about them on google, David's garden I think. Bad customer service, but everything regarding the seeds holds true. Screw pepper joe I'm going with reputable dealers like c.c.n.

o

I can't speak from a large order like that, but i would recommend Fatalii.net. The guy who runs it is very nice and i recall seeing some of the peppers you were looking for posted on there. I did have some damaged pepper seeds, but for one variety that was damaged and i had no germination he sent replacement seeds. I really haven't had customer service quite like it and it was a nice surprise. Can't hurt to have a look or email the guy.

Here is a link that might be useful: fatalii seed listing

o

24 replies in 7 hours with "pepperjoe" being in the subject line of the post?

I've never ordered from him, but with that kind of feedback in such a short period of time tells ME one thing --- take heed!

Too much controversy over the years surrounding this guy. With many well reputed online stores available, I, myself, would take my business elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Kevin

o

I buy from Tomato Growers , Tropical seed , US hot stuff , RAINBOW CHILI SEEDS(Mostly,Vladan is REALLY cool) and a few other vendors.
Peppermania WAS very cool but Beth has dropped the ball in the last couple seasons.
She isn't taking care of the seed sales anymore in a timely manner.
She has been a personal friend of mine so I don't post this easily.
To put it bluntly don't order seeds from her.
She does seem to keep up with her other sales of bottles etc. from what I see.

Trades these days are mostly crosses with super hots...

o

I think Joe just lost a $400 order

o

My experience hasn't been bad with him. 5 years back I had some bolivian rainbows come out in weird shapes and almost black, but other than that I got as expected.

o

I think what's turned me off to him is his obsession with having the "world's hottest pepper." Of course, that has invited a lot of fights on the internet. Not my thing.

o

Pepper save you most certainly right. But chileplants.com earned it.

o

That was supposed to be pepper Dave. Autocorrect on iPads works too well.

o

Another big yes vote for Cross Country Nurseries.

I had nearly all my seedlings die last year, if it hadn't been for CCN I would have had a really sad season.

o

Anybody know why I heard this? That carolina reapers are illegal to sell? Is it the name that is copywrited? Or the pepper itself? HAs anybody else heard this?

This post was edited by mistyreiny on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 14:01

o

Cross Country sells reaper 20 seed for what Joe wants for 10. They sell the plants for $6 if you cant start your own other super hots are $4 good selection. I live in NJ also and have met reps from them at local farm markets an they seem very knowledgeable. 12 years ago they had a good selection and its only gotten better over the years.Back then nobody had superhots Cross Country had the best selection around.I ordered from Joe 25 years ago and had good luck with his seed ,he was in Pa. back then and did not have much competition .Wow theres an eagle outside getting my camera .
Ok Im back got the shot

o

Now I am thinking that, after reading this thread, I'm saying screw pepper joe, he ain't legit nor somebody I can trust nor a business I want to pay. On the other hand I'm going to visit ccn. To buy lots of plants

o

Here is some info on the trademark..

Here is a link that might be useful: trademark

o

I know it is illegal carolina reaper because he trademarked the name, but hp22b I don't believe can be trademarked. Comments on this are very informative, thank you.

o

You may have something there. But I still would not want to end up in court over a pepper that isn't that great anyway. Plenty of other peppers out there, Primo is very similar to CR if not the same.
Get some primo and some CR, grow them out and then come back and tell us if you can tell the difference. That is if the CR grows true. not likely, you will probably end up with totally different pods on every plant.

o

Mistyreiny send me an Email I can just give you some seed you need Im right across the bay from Lewis Its a 3 block walk to watch the ferry come and go. I grew 120 plants right off Ferry Rd Save yourself some $. My check my trade list Im not hurting for what I have . Maybe we can meet at Dogfish Head and I can give you some seed over a good beer. Its popular here to take a bike across the bay and ride the trails to the Pub

o

Misty, email me. I can send you atleast 20 on your list. John

o

I have not personally purchased any thing from pepper joe because I find his prices too high.

I have purchased from Sample Seeds and am always happy with what I have gotten from her.

Another place you can check for seed is to look at the watchdog list of seed sellers. So far I have only ordered from those companies on the watch 30 list.

HOpe this helps

Missy

o

Man all these bad reviews has me worried. Being new to the pepper growing scene at least from seeds I bought some reapers and butch t trinidads seeds from joe. Should I worry now that the seedlings Ive been babying for the last month are going to be wrong plants.I paid 10 bucks for 10 seeds each and had a good germination ratio on the reaper seeds sowed 7 5 germinated the butch t on the other hand I sowed 7 and only 2 germinated after 4 plus weeks indoors on a heat mat. Man i hope they grow into what I had purchased.

o

Even though I would not buy from joe again, his customer service is pretty good. make sure that you keep your order number. if you have any problems with them not being correct or germination issues. just let them know and they will make good on your problems.

o

Im sure you got the right seed.That does not seem to be one of his issues people have.They Were not crushed in the mail They germinated. Your off to a good start. Enjoy Its not to late to get in on a trade. seems you could use a few Butch t"s . Welcome to the Forum . Send out a few Emails and life should be just grand .Save some seed for next year and spread the wealth. That is what Pay Forward is all about. If you can manage to plant things in Isolation you don't even have to write OP on your donations . One of the things I like about this Forum is the total willingness to help other people get what they need . We all have a common goal . You get help this year . Next year you help others. It works

o

"If you can manage to plant things in Isolation you don't even have to write OP on your donations."

I couldn't disagree more. I want to know if plants are isolated. Isolation by distance, depending your source can be 50' or a half a mile. If you're on a seed train, which I've never done, and you don't care about crosses, than fine.

If I'm trading for a specific known commodity I want to know if it is isolated or not. Better yet I'd like to know if the seed source is a commercial supplier.

If I trade I will tell you if the seeds are isolated by the bagging method, if they are commercial seed or if they are not isolated.

By the way, I've not traded much here at GW but have on other forums.

I can tell you I'll have a bunch of Padron and Joe's Long
Cayenne to trade at the end of the week. I'll have a bunch of super hots to trade next fall IF THEY GROW TRUE from trades.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here