Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistyreiny

Pepper joe legit?

mistyreiny
10 years ago

I'm looking at buying a crazy amount of seeds from pepper joe. As in $400 worth of seeds. The seeds are as follows. Carolina reaper, ghost, giant ghost, paper lantern, volcano in a box, fire in a box, 8 pack tomatoes, brain strain 7 pot, yellow devils tongue, red savina, box of dynamite, chocolate scorpion, yellow moruga, buch t scorpion, naga viper, douglah pepper, yellow7 pot, red brain strain, naga morich, yellow ghost, francisca, fatalii, chocolate habanero, scotch bonnet, Caribbean chili and habanero, Tasmanian habanero, white habanero, golden habanero, Jamaican pepper, spicy mustard, chipotle jalape�o, Fresno, maules red, jalape�o lover 5pack, cayenne bush 8fter (tree), Yahtzee, Thai sun, Tabasco, cayenne 6 pack, 5color marble, cascabella, peperoncini, fushimi sweet, Bolivian rainbow, Peter pepper rainbow, ancho, atomic starfish, datil, yellow lemon drop, filius blue, chili hot, paprika, corona di toro, yellow corno di toro, Antonio Romanian, canary yellow, mini bell, chocalate bell, king of the north, Aconcagua, golden Marconi, sweet banana, sweet crimson, cubanelle, keystone and Chinese giant.
I'm seriously looking at starting a small business by growing this amount of peppers, then planting their seeds gathered from the peppers, into growing up to thousands of plants and harvesting and selling the peppers both whole and ground into a powder. For me with this sheer number of plants, the only way to go is hydroponics. I have researching joe's deeply to determine if he is legit or not. I found one guy who's not. Robsrareandgiantseeds.com scam artist the whole way. Hundreds of negative reviews on amazon. I looked up pepper joe one site, he's legit, another he's not, raises cost and makes up names for profit. Note, I know I doubled up by putting down packs and didn't remove their containing seeds. I am looking for first hand testimonial regarding germination rate, and if the seeds he sent are what they grew. As well as does he back his guarrentee on germination rate.

Comments (167)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ANOTHER DUPLICATE ?!? NNOOOoooo...

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

wow... I don't open a thread, who cares, it's about PJ (I really hate that since it's also my initials), well, get bored, so I click on it... boy, it's amazing what goes down when the adults leave the room .. Love the HADRON Bill... and DMF... GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Oh, you haven't heard about cow farts devastating the planet?

IIRC God told Noah that the next time would be fire. It therefore follows that ...

. wait. "Adults"?

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

No, gross in the poor computer person who bloodies himself senseless with eyeballs flying all around.. Gross!......... but cute............
    Pam

but. seriously, if cow farts are destroying the earth... doesn't that mean eat more cows?? not go vegan... you go vegan it will just get worse. ;-)

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 15:38

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Haha! Dennis, I was gonna do something similar to your cow picture up there, but I was afraid of getting the torch "too close for comfort." It was hot enough holding it next to my face! Plus, we had to take 4 pictures to get it just right. Never mind "downstairs"

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Boy has this thread gone in many directions, my kitty doesn't know what to make of it!

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Let's get it back on track!

26 to go!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I'm reporting you for kitty abuse!

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

I know you all are trying to blow through the posts, but I don't care who you are, the cow fart was funny. :-) :-)
    I have to show that to everyone at hot pepper night next Monday!

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

She got herself into the bathtub. You stick your arm into the non-de-clawed maelstrom to help her. (;>))))

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

Oh yea, did I mention I like the cow picture?

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

I just checked, I DID say I liked the picture!

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I think they should be forced to wear asbestos underwear!

{{gwi:1141789}}

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Who's to blame for the current CA wildfires?

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Mike, You should send OSHA a couple bottles of your sauce. Hehe!

dj

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I think we need a mascot.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 23:31

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

bump

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

DJ- haha! "OSHA" Sauce...

"OH SH!T, HOT A$$" sauce!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

FDA: "We do not approve."

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 21:59

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

.The most horrible kind...

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 17:39

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Explanation needed?

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 17:36

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Still counting...

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 17:34

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Yeah! Ill take. Couple bottles of the non approved OSHA sauce.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

">

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Helping with the countdown to 150

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I just edited a previous post to remove the name of a certain salsa maker that I had mentioned. Didn't want folks to find this thread when searching for directions for her salsa. ;)

3 to go...

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yep.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Almost there.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago
  • plantsman56
    9 years ago

I have really enjoyed this thread and thought I should end it with an on topic post. I just wanted to say I will never buy seeds from Pepper Joe again because of the lack of quality of the seeds I purchased. The reaper seeds had way too much genetic diversity and also had very poor germination rates. I am ending up throwing away 2/3 of the plants I got, so after buying 5 packs of reaper seeds, I got 3 good plants to work with. I bought these packs in two different batches. I had even mentioned to Joe how poor my germination rate was on the first batch and they did nothing to help me out when I bought the second batch.
    I bought 3 other types of seeds and got even less of a germination
    rate. He does send extra seeds with an order, but they are something I don't want and either give them away or throw them away.
    I have found sources where I get excellent germination rates and I do task well worth my own seeds, so I do know how to germinate seeds.
    And now, die thread die.

• butcher_4
    8 years ago

Beware of pepper Joe's! In fact beware of most seed companies. They assume that everyone is stupid and will accept anything that is hot. This is the second time that I've been ripped off when trying to buy reaper seeds. The seed companies slap the name of the most popular hot pepper on whatever they have on hand so they can sell the seeds at top dollar. Seeds Direct sent me habaneros, Pepper Joe's sent 7 pot bubblegums.

• merlinjr
    8 years ago

lol at this thread i bought fresh pods from a chili site once and they were 7 pot primos also with bonus peppers including reapers douglahs etc and guess what i took out the seeds and guess what when i planted them they were primos douglahs and reapers go figure

• ronnyb123
    8 years ago

and this thread is back from the dead. So much for the 150 post rule. LOL

• the_northeast_chileman
    8 years ago

HOUZZ lifted the limit?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

They made and exception for the Pepper Joe thread.

• lexxluthor
    8 years ago

Now that's funny !!!

• Bluevano-Zone 10
    8 years ago
    So if there is certain vendors you could purchse viable seeds with creditabilty background, who are they? :)
  • Bluevano-Zone 10
    8 years ago
    as in getting CR. LOL
  • merlinjr
    8 years ago

www.pepperlover.com refining fire chili's aka superhotchiles.com two i have experience with and both are great.

• merlinjr
    8 years ago

reviews of those two sites along with alot others are on thehotpepper.com under vendor feedback sorry if posting links to other forums are frowned upon

• Bluevano-Zone 10
    8 years ago
    No well this thread had some awsome information on different types of experiences. I admit the most safest way to get seeds is through trade on a forum where you know people actually know what there talking about, and care. But on the flip side, its good to know for amatures like me to go purchase seeds, and know your not going to get vamboozled... :)
  • Bluevano-Zone 10
    8 years ago
    Thanks metlinjr.
  • Bluevano-Zone 10
    8 years ago
    *merlinjr
  • ronnyb123
    8 years ago

Here is a list of vendors that Mecdave took the time to create.

Vendors

• Andrew
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just to let everybody know, Pepper Joe is crap. If you want a good reliable seed source, you can try www.fatalli.net

I ordered seeds FATALLI them and everything has turned out to be exactly what I ordered. I got my Bolivian Rainbow From them

• PRO
    Jim's
    8 years ago

How is the shipping to the States Andrew? I checked his site, some interesting varieties I have not encountered stateside. FYI, you may want to correct the web address, fatalii, you have fatalli. Good site and tons of info, thanks! I use ChilePlants and have been very very happy with all the plants so far, even the white tomato took off and is bearing fruit.

• Elnathan Hijmering
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Seems like those at Pepper Joe have not changed. I ordered a pack of red Carolina Reapers, planted all the seeds, plants germinated very quickly and plants are doing just fine. However all the peppers are yellow, do not look like reapers at all, certainly not spicey at all and I think it is just a scam. I can literarily snack on the yellow "whatever" pepper they sold me without feeling any heat. In the meantime I ordered directly from the man himself Ed Currie on https://puckerbuttpeppercompany.com and have been growing some real reapers.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals