Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Soil 2013

Posted by chilliwin 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 15:29

For the coming season I have been doing all my best to have some good hot chili plants. This is my first time so I do not like to be failed. However constantly I got frustration one after another :(

Today I went to the nursery center; they give discount on all the organic compost for 50 liter it cost about $10.00. I bought one bag and looking for pine bark and found that the one I have used for my container soil is not pine bark:(. This one:

Photobucket

Are these barks OK to use for container soil mix?

Only the available pine bark is decorative the size is about 1/8 inch. I have been thinking to try Al's 5:1:1 container soil so can I use this decorative pine bark for 5:1:1?

The organic compost:
Photobucket

I hope this compost will be good for hot chili plants. I never found container soils with nutrients value marking, like this one, I feel lucky because the pH level is 5.7 to 6.5.

Any help will be appreciated.

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 15:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Soil 2013

That bark looks very good for use in a container mix.
It has the fibrous look of Fir bark, but I could be wrong. Either way, good stuff.

When you say compost, I assume you mean it in the European sense of 'potting mix.'
It is common for potting mixes to have nutrients/fertilizer added.

Even with the added nutrients, the compost won't be a major fraction of the mix,
so be sure to add 1 Tablespoon Dolomitic Garden Lime per gallon of overall mix you make.
Many of us like to incorporate a slow-release fertilizer like Osmocote, as well.

Josh

o
RE: Container Soil 2013

Hi Josh, thank you for the reply.

You are right the potting soil available here have nutrients but I never have seen any label on the bags. The one I bought yesterday has labeled compost and its nutrients values very clearly; this is my first time I have seen. It is also very different from the one I used before. It has a lot of organic substances too and I feel less peat moss.

I am sorry to say this; it'll be a bit difficult to find Dlomitic Garden Lime here but I found something like lime (white creamy) in this compost too, may be they have already added.

Thanks,
Caelian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here