Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djole_gw

Starting seeds under lights

Djole
9 years ago

I've never grown plants under lights before, I have zero experience or knowledge on the subject.
This year I want to start more seedlings than my windowsill can hold. I've got some empty space where I could fit the table with trays, the downside is that its in total darkness and at the constant temperature of around 68F.
I need help choosing the right setup and timing for my seeds, my questions are:

1. Which type of light / blubs should i use given the darkness and the temperature? The ones I can obtain at the market here are CFLs ranging from 65W to 250W, type Red and type Blue (2700K and 6400K, ), then MHs ranging from 150W to 1000W (various Ks) and HPSs also 150W to 1000W.

2. How does growing under lights affect timing (when to start the seeds and transplant the plants)? I always start my seeds (C. Chinense types) on windowsill late January, so they are ready for transplanting at the end of April / beggining of May. Would it take a different pace (faster) under lights?

I'd strongly prefer using CFLs for this as they dont need any additional equipment (you can stick them in the regular socket). Are they sufficient for the whole period from starting seeds till they are ready to transplant outside?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

CFLs work fine. 6500k is what you want for vegetation. The 2700k comes into play with fruiting. To my knowledge, the timing will remain the same. You'll want about an 18hr on/6hr off cycle and try to keep the light a few inches away.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I suggest simple shop lights with T8 bulbs in the 5000k-6500k range. This is easily the simplest and most cost effective solution. A 4' shop light can be had for about $10 and the bulbs are not that expensive. The cost to run florescent lights isn't bad either.

You can come up with some pretty fancy set ups but this works good for me. The lights can be raised and lowered as the plants grow and if you need more room, add another bank of lights. The light supports are made out of inexpensive PVC pipe.
    Bruce

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I use the 4 ft shop lights as well. They are already wired. Mine were $15 each at HD plus around $10 for the day light bulbs.

You may want to start the peppers in a warm place. Then move them to under the lights after they sprout. I use a heat mat for starting out. Then put them under lights once they sprout.

Note if you use bottom heat. Take them off the heat mat once they sprout. If you do not the roots will cook.

In the pic I posted I use the top shelf with a heat mat to sprout the seeds on. Until they sprout you do not need lights. Just a warm place. Once they sprout then put them under the lights. 68 degrees is fine for after they sprout. I use a thermostat on my heat mat to keep a constant 85 degrees for germinating.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am with Bruce

I have also exact the same set up and units ( @ 12.95 each plus $8 for 2 bulbs). Call me a copy cat. hahaha

Seysonn

• Djole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shop light setup is definitely cheaper, its the 5000K - 6500K range bulb that is the problem - they are really hard to find here (perks of living in a third world country) as there is very little demand for those in particular. I will try nevertheless as there's a huge price difference (both in start and in exploitation) between those and CFLs.
    In the catalog of one of the shops I've found some FLUO T8 58W 6500K (haven't called yet to check if they actually have them), I thought I'd give it a go with 2 of those. They are actually pretty cheap (somewhat less than 1.5$ each) :)

Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

Djole

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

My floro bulbs are T8 as well but only 32W. The 58W bulbs will probably be better with more light but not necessary and I am sure they come for a premium price....I don't even remember seeing any 58W bulbs in the stores and I am not in a "third world country".
    What country are you in?
    Bruce

• Djole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm from Serbia (former Yugoslavia), not to be mistaken with Siberia, region in Russia :).

Those 58W T8s cost about 1.5$ each, 36W are 0.8$ each :). We've got an array of different sizes, power, etc. anything you would need for a household.
    From what I understood 6500K bulbs (in particular) don't sell well here (people don't use them in homes) and therefore it's lacking on the market. However I'm pretty sure the shop wouldn't list it in the catalog if they didn't have them so I guess I have that part covered.
    Those 58Ws are 150cm (4' 11'') long, which gives me some additional space for more plants. We have cheap electricity so running cost will be around 20$ total for 3 months.

Djole

This post was edited by Djole on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 11:57

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Bruce, T8 lights are 32W. I think T5 tubes are 58w. They are like real conventional shop light, FAT.

Seysonn

• Djole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seysonn, T8 tubes usually range from 14W (18 inches) to 58W (5 ft). T5 also comes in variety of Ws and lengths. The difference between the two is the diameter (T5s are thinner than T8s).

Djole

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, the number that comes after the "T" indicates the diameter of the bulb in increments of 1/8". For instance, T5 bulbs are 5/8" in diameter, T8's are 1", T12's are 1&1/2". I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I think they're measured just like rebar (reinforcing bar) that goes into concrete for added strength before it's poured. My T12's are 40W.

• Djole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike. From what i understood your 40W T12 should also be 4ft long, correct?

Back on the subject, should I try to find a lamp with reflective surface on the inside, will it make a difference?

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Yes, my T12s are 4ft long. I'm not sure if they come in different lengths or not. I just happened to get my setup for free. I know a lady who knew I was starting peppers indoors last year. She told me that when she bought her house, the previous owner left a bunch of old office light fixtures in her attic and offered them to me. There were 4 of these, that look like they came out of an office cieling. I bought a few electrical cords and 6500K bulbs, wired them up, and they worked fine. I added chains to the fixtures to adjust the height when necessary, and hung them from the ceiling in my basement.

The fixtures measure roughly 4ft x 2ft, with 4 bulbs per fixture, so they cover quite a bit of surface area. My basement (right now, in the winter) stays at around 64*F. Under the lights, it gets to around 82*F.

Personally, I don't think I need to reflect any light around, but your situation may be different, depending on what type of setup you decide on. I have heard of people (myself included) lining a cardboard box with aluminum foil. Just be sure to allow enough space for air circulation. You don't want the seedlings to suffocate. After they have sprouted, you'll want a small fan moving the air around in the room.

I'm sure others will chime in with some more advice. Like I said, this is only my second year growing.

Hope that helps,
    Mike

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, the number that comes after the "T" indicates the diameter of the bulb in increments of 1/8". For instance, T5 bulbs are 5/8" in diameter, T8's are 1", T12's are 1&1/2".

Click here for clarification.> Fluorescent-lamp formats

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

I went overboard with mine, and built an entire grow cabinet.
    http://livingdeathbonchi.blogspot.com/2015/01/its-alive.html

• Djole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good job there, very neat :)

Sponsored