Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

Mixed 'Hot' seed packet offer

User
12 years ago

Hi,

How about a little contest to heat up January... a packet of mixed Hot seed give away.

This past fall I counted out 1,000's of seeds and put together 100's of seed packs. During the process seeds would bounce under my keyboard, on the floor, under my phone etc. Not knowing what they were after the fact meant I couldn't in good conscience label them as x variety for anyone.

So now I have one mixed packet of stray Bih Jolokia; 7 Pot; 7 Pot Jonah; 7 Pot Douglah; Trinidad Scorpion; TS Moruga & Billy Goat seeds. There will be "at least" three seeds or more of each variety in the packet.

I'll send the mixed packet to the first member who can guess the total number of seeds in the packet.

If no one guesses the exact number by 20:00 Thursday Jan. 5, I'll send the packet to the member who guessed closest without going over.

NOTE: you must have your email option on your profile page activated to win.

Post your guesses here.

Comments (44)

• armac1965
    12 years ago

I guess 124

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Crap! I intended to mention but forgot to add that the range is between 49 and 101 seeds.

armac1965, you get a do over.

• armac1965
    12 years ago

I thought some parameters would help.......

• rqeversole
    12 years ago

I guess 71.

Thanks for offering your seeds up, and especially in such a fun way!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    12 years ago

This is great, thanks for doing something fun, I will guess 80 seeds. :-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

OK, I will give it a go.

I say 100 even.
    Bruce

• mbellot
    12 years ago

Very cool idea!

Put me down for 57.

Would love to give the Scorpion and 7 [pot seeds a go, but all I have are Bhut seeds so not much chance of a trade.

• happyhelper
    12 years ago

Great Idea!
    I'll guess 67.

• patnmoe
    12 years ago

Sounds like fun and thanks. Start the New Year off hot. Guess 88. Pat

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

I'll go for 72

DarJones

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have a Winner!

fusion_power aka DarJones with 72 seeds

Everyone who didnâÂÂt win.

I have consolation seed packs to send to all 2nd place winners. OK, the 1st place winner will get them too. IâÂÂll be contacting everyone tomorrow via email for your mailing address (armac1965 you might want to add an email to your profile). All packets will be posted late next week when IâÂÂll be in the US.

A special thanks to flowbee235 who provided postage help for this offer. I asked for a couple of stamps to cover postage for seeds I sent him and he sent me 18 first class stamps to help me spread the heat. Nice gesture!

Thanks folks, this was fun.

Bill

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

happyhelper and patnmoe,

you might want to add an email to your profile as well.

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    12 years ago

Hi Ottawapepper, offering us a consolation pepper pack prize is very nice of you, that's Awesome! Thanks and thanks to Flowbee235 for providing the stamps. This was fun and even better with the consolation prize bonus.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

habjolokia, you're very welcome.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One last thing... I need everyone's address by Tuesday 20:00 so I can prep the envelopes before I head south. Email has been sent to everyone except armac1965, happyhelper and patnmoe who need to update members page.

Thanks,

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Not trying to steal the thread but if anyone wants any of the seeds I have, let me know. I won't be able to use all I have and would like to see someone use some if they want them. I am not looking for any trades right now.
    Email me at pepperpikker@gmail.com if you want any and give me an address, how seeds you would like and what varieties:

Cayenne
    Long red slim
    Orange Habanero
    Bhut Jolokia (ghost Pepper)
    Charleston
    Hot Hungarian Wax

Please email me direct at: pepperpikker@gmail.com and dont post in this thread. Like I said, I dont want to hijack it.

Bruce

• mbellot
    12 years ago

Fantastic consolation prize!

• armac1965
    12 years ago

Sent you an email Ottawa, thanks again very generous.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Bruce,

Just noticed your offer.

Your not "steal the thread", your offering a "value added" contribution. Nice, Thank you.

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Your Welcome,
    Bruce

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

happyhelper and patnmoe,

Sorry, you didn't update your profile email or contact me via my profile email, I can't send your consolation prize.

Everyone else, due to snow forecast for Thursday, your seeds are being posted tomorrow. I bumped my trip to the US up a day.

Bill

• mbellot
    12 years ago

Bill, never thought I'd say it (now that I'm an adult) but...

Hooray for snow!

:)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL mbellot,

Ya, let it snow!

Actually it's not the snow that prompted moving up my little trip across the border, it's the freezing rain they're forecasting ahead of the snow. I hate that crap!

Everything was posted today.

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    12 years ago

Hi Bill just got them today thanks for being Awesome! And for the bonus additional seeds. Will start them tonight or tomorrow. Woohoooo! Again Thank You

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

habjolokia, you're very welcome. Glad you liked the bonus seeds. If you have any questions send me an email.

• armac1965
    12 years ago

Received the seeds and the nice bonus seeds.

Thank you sir.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

armac1965, you're welcome sir.

• armac1965
    12 years ago

Ottawa if you ever make to deep South Texas, look me up.

You can bring me some more cool seeds.......haha.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yes, Ottawa, I got my Black Cubans and Twilights in the mail today. Thanks.

• mbellot
    12 years ago

Bill,

Everything showed up today, thanks for the bonus packs!

Mark

• rdback
    12 years ago

Hi Bill,

Very nice thing you did here my friend.

By the way, did you know your "Caribbean BBQ Sauce" won't FREEZE? That's kinda scary, but I'll risk it. *smile*

Rick

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rick.

Ya, it doesn't freeze under normal freezer temps. I'd like to think the peppers give it it's anti-freeze properties but it's the honey. I think you need 10F or lower to firm up/freeze honey.

So, what did you think of it, do you like the citrus/sweet/ heat? I used some (OK a lot) last night on pulled pork, sublime.

Bill

• mbellot
    12 years ago

Bill,

Did I miss a recipe? I've got a freezer full of smoked pulled pork that is just itching for some "sublime". :)

Mark

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mark,

You didn't miss it in this thread. Rick is referring to a recipe I posted a while back. It's pretty simple and you can easily add or remove stuff to make it your own. It doubles, triples etc. easily. I've made it using Scotch Bonnets through Jolokias and Scorpions.

Bill

Caribbean BBQ Sauce

2 (or more) scotch bonnet chilies (or whatever chili you like), fresh or dried
    1 cup orange juice (also nice with pineapple)
    1 cup honey
    1/3 cup Soy or Worcestershire sauce (I prefer Soy)
    1 TBS ginger
    1/2 tsp allspice
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tsp dried thyme (1 TBS fresh)

Blend together well in a blender and then simmer in sauce pan for 5-10 minutes.
    Let stand in fridge overnight for fullest flavour .

• mbellot
    12 years ago

Bill,

Sounds good, I'll have to give it a try with a couple dried Bhuts next time I make some sauce. I'm pretty sure I even have everything, with the possible exception of the allspice.

Thanks for posting it.

• rdback
    12 years ago

So, what did you think of it, do you like the citrus/sweet/ heat?

I've made it so many times over the last few years, I've lost count. It would be fair to say I "like" it. *lol*

I always have the same problem as you. You want to use it now, but for best flavor, you should make the day before.

So, I decided to "save" it. I put what I had left over in the honey squirt bottle I had just emptied, then stuck it in the freezer on the door. Even though it didn't freeze, I don't see how it can "go bad". We'll know as soon as it's warm enough to light the grill again.*smile*

Think it's safe?

Rick

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rick,

Think it's safe? Well I haven't had it tested at a food lab ;-)

Given the safe shelf life of honey, the acid in the citrus juice and salt in the Soy Sauce, I'm not worried about keeping it six months in "the freezer". The only touchy ingredient is the raw garlic cloves but, freezer temps negate the risk IMO.

I make quart / liter jars of the stuff. The longest it lasted for me was approx six months.

Bill

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

Note for honey eaters, well matured and properly stored honey has been found in egyptian tombs dating back 3500 years that is still edible.

However, it does undergo chemical changes over time and after about 2 or 3 years at room temperature will have distinctly poor flavor. If you want to store honey long term, put it in a deep freeze. I've stored honey for 5 years in my freezer that still had full floral aroma and normal honey texture and flavor. And yes, I am a beekeeper. :)

DarJones

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

Update on the 72 seed in the mixed packet, I now have 24 seedlings growing at 10 days after planting. I have them on heat at 78 degrees and under bright lights.

DarJones

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

I potted up the seedlings last night and wound up with 42 plants, almost enough to fillup a 48 cell tray.

DarJones

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the updates DarJones.

Did you plant all 72 seeds? If so, I'm sorry germination rate wasn't higher? I normally get really good results in the 82-86F range.

I'd be interested to hear back when you start getting fruit, what mix you ended up with.

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

So I am trying to fit variety to fruit type. I put a few of these plants in my late garden. I now have 2 plants that have ripened with deep chocolate habanero type fruit. Which of the varieties listed is chocolate?

DarJones

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DarJones,

Sounds like you have a couple of 7 Pot Douglah plants in you garden.

They're sweet peppers, ya, sweet, ya, really sweet... take a big bite and let us know how you like them!

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

On your recommendation, I took a big bite out of one of the peppers. You are so right, it was VERY sweet. It was so sweet that 3 firetrucks were rushed to the scene to put out the flames. The firemen seemed to be a bit out of sorts cause I was having so much fun so I shared a couple of pods with them. Needless to say, they really earned the name "firemen" today. They set fire to 17 houses before the water system finally caught up.

I was so happy, I had to share the joy with everyone. So me and the firemen headed downtown and had an impromptu parade. Anybody who complained got handed a free pepper to eat. Most folks just stood and watched and clapped their hands when somebody made like a fire breathing dragon. It was a lot of fun until the state troopers took away the pepper sauce.

I am NOT as think as you drunk I am.

DarJones

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals