Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Moruga Scorpions Indoors

Posted by MorugaMan 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 16:46

I have been growing my Moruga Scorpions for about 3 months now. A few were planted a month after so a few are 2 months old but I'm just curious to why they are so short and bushy but not very tall? Is it the type of pepper or type or light I'm using? I had 8 flouro lights on them for 2 months then I decided to change to a 240w LED light panel. Here are some pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Moruga Scorpions Indoors

Notice the leaf size compared to the height of the plant. These plants are no taller than 10 inches if that but incredibly bushy after topping them

o

The Hot Box

o

First of all, those look like beautiful healthy plants. I'm far from an expert, but maybe it has something to do with how tall they were when you topped them? IIRC, they were pretty small when you topped them, right?

o

That's what happens. The Auxin that was directing the plant to grow upward is redirected to the lateral nodes, causing outward growth.

Josh

o

Yeah that makes a lot of sense now. I probably did it too early but maybe it will turn out nice?

o

Should turn out just fine :-)

Josh

o

Keep us (me) updated!
Personally I'd like to see how peppers turn out when topped earlier, rather than later in the growth process.

o

Yeah for sure Juts. They have been really slow growing but I'll post some after a few weeks. 2 plants are budding so maybe I'll have some flowers here soon

o

Yeah for sure Juts. They have been really slow growing but I'll post some after a few weeks. 2 plants are budding so maybe I'll have some flowers here soon

o

Here is an update

o

Still lookin good. May get a bit crowded soon though with those in the same pot.

Jay

o

I ended up completely chopping the second plants out of both pots. Now they are along and won't compete anymore.

o

MM, the plants look fine. Are you going to leave them in pots?

o

Thepodpiper- not sure yet. Do you think they would do better if I left them in pots or transplant into garden?

o

They look like their doing great in the pots thus far... You are a brave individual - as it would be mighty hard (for me at least) to chop those second plants! Either way, the remaining will get the full benefit now. It does seem from your previous pics that you have more than enough room to grow them totally indoors. One could make arguments for either direction (in or outdoors I suppose - EG: controlled conditions VS nature). I've opted for outdoor buckets this go around, but then again it's my first year from seed - so I'll see how it goes!

Jay

o

Not that you can't grow damn near any type of plant indoors with the right lighting, etc. But nothing beats the great outdoors for strong, healthy, productive pepper plants.

On the other hand, starting and nursing INDOORS is the only way to go unless you live in the tropics.

JMO.

Kevin

o

You live in a very cold aria in the US. Might not have enough of a season to finish outdoors. I would suggest leaving them in pots just to leave your options open. It would be ashamed to not have enough time to get ripe peppers with them planted in the soil.In pots you could move them in or out depending on the temp. outside and try for the best of both worlds. A small heated greenhouse could be to your advantage also. I would seek advice from some of are Canadian friends who have more experience in this matter.Im in a much friendlier environment as far as outdoors goes,but we have people way up north that seem to have success using methods much more complicated then alot of us have to deal with that have good success.Seek them out we have a number of them in this forum. Im interested myself, who knows I might find myself in N Dakota someday and be in need of advice from people like you. We have a local Borito place with Butt Jolokias who get the from Canada and Holland way before mine are in. Then they get them from me. 80% of there season they come places not friendly to outdoor pepper cultivation yet they seem to have a ready supply way before I do. Success comes from knowing your situation and dealing with it.It is possible to grow super hots in Antarctica just not planted in ice or exposed to the elements. Good luck and keep us informed . Your situation is a lot more complicated the most of us have to deal with,yet other members do have success in situations like yours

o

What pepperdave said.

Yeah. In no way was I suggesting planting them in the ground. My opinion was strictly from a SUNLIGHT and wind point of view. Not soil.

Kevin

o

Thanks guys. I was planning on getting a decently sized greenhouse for my potted peppers. It's kind of sad to think about how short my season is. I around 40 seedlings right now so I will be ahead of time by a little bit. I'll keep you guys posted on how well the Morugas do this summer.

o

Consider insulating under your green house when you build it. Can save a lot in heating cost . Something lots of people dont think about but should

o

How would I go about that and what would I use Dave?

o

Put a floor in it and use foam insulation. You could just use floor paint on plywood just dont let the frozen such all the heat out

o

You could attach it to the south side of your house and use day heat to supplement your house and house heat to supplement the green house at night. Good planing can save a lot of $ , bad planing can cost $. Dont throw money away if you dont have to ,it can get expensive, heat moves to cold thats how AC works you only need it to face south even the ends can be insulated.You can even cover the exposed aria at night if you had to and be even more efficient.

o

That works perfect then being I just got a bunch of foam insulation to put in my garage and have plenty left. Thanks for the tips! I don't know what I'd be doing right now if it weren't for my GardenWeb friends!

o

That works perfect then being I just got a bunch of foam insulation to put in my garage and have plenty left. Thanks for the tips! I don't know what I'd be doing right now if it weren't for my GardenWeb friends!

o

Nick,
I used the foam insulation in my mini green house I sent you the pic of under my work bench. Even when my garage hit the 20-30s when we had a cold spell in the bay that little gow setup with just my grow lights hovered around 50 degrees. Not conducive to pepper growing but kept the 3 plants I over wintered alive and kicking. I used 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch insulating foam with foil on one side that I got from lowes for like 7 bucks a sheet. Then I just cut it to fit my spot.

o

You can also use 2 sheets of greenhouse plastic and inflate it with a $15 bathroom exhaust fan. It works great and really helps as an insulator . Ive done it a number of times gives a moon world effect creating a double wall with around 6" between layers. If you use supplemental light you can extend light hrs and grow like its summer year round. You can use your LED light. The one problem you could run into is Aphids and spider mites so be ready. Aphids especially like peppers but can be dealt with Spider mites are tougher so pray its something you never have to deal with

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here