Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelelc_gw

Thai chili pepper variety?

michelelc
11 years ago

I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction to purchase thai chili pepper seeds for peppers that aren't the short, stubby ones. 2 years in a row, I ended up with the short, stubby ones and I'm so frustrated, not wanting to get another year stuck with those. Can anyone suggest where I can purchase the variety that is at least 3" long? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I got these plants from a friend who picked them up from a Thai market in the U.S. not sure if these are what you are looking for or not

They are thin and long

Mark

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I ordered mine from tomatogrowers.com

I am very happy with them, exactly what I expected. Shaped similar to a miniature cayenne. They are about 1.5" or so long.

Here's what mine looked like this past year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai Hot

• michelelc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for. I will order from Tomato Growers. The only thing the short, stubby ones were good for was siracha sauce

• thismembername
    11 years ago

tomato growers website talks about hybrids, and it doesn't say anything about GMO's (which leads me to believe that you may by something gmo'ed.

I would highly recommend baker creek over this site ... dont buy hybrids.

http://rareseeds.com/about/

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I think they note in the name if it's a hybrid. For example, the Ancho variety I am growing is "Ancho San Martin Hybrid" according to their site.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

First of all, the TGS catalog says "all of the varieties of seed that we sell are non-GMO." Second, I don't believe you will find a seed retailer who sells GMO pepper seeds. I doubt they exist except possibly in a lab. People are so freaked out about GMO seeds that retailers all seem to think they need to deny selling them. Unfortunately this feeds the paranoia. It's like labeling bottled water "fat free."

• teyo
    11 years ago

There are some nice thai varieties on tradewindsfruit.com, and i know i've seen one somewhere that was very long and looked attractive, wanted to buy it myself, but i can't for the life of me remember where that was :(

• thismembername
    11 years ago

Ohiofem:
    you dont have to buy a GMO variety to support an owner that is in the business to sell GMO products. For example:

Peppers:
    Valencia, Camelot, King Arthur, Red Knight, Aristotle, Northstar, Biscane, Caribbean Red, Serrano del Sol, Early Sunsation, Fat and Sassy, Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot, Cayenne Large Red Thick ... etc

Tomato: Big Beef, Beefmaster, First Lady, Early Girl, Pink Girl, Golden Girl, Sunguard, Sun Chief Sweet, Baby Girl, Sweet Million, etc

Monsanto owns the trademark / rights to these plant variety's. Even if they are heirloom. These are not GMO products, but they are owned by monsanto for a very specific reason that is beyond the discussion. Shortly, when you buy these brands, you are helping Monsanto ...

Also, your plants can be non GMO'd, but farmers are having a heck of a time keeping their plants from not pollinating with GMO'd plants, which in return results in Mosanto suing if you keep the seeds (this happens to corn growers, and legally is expected to continue to occur as growers are breaking the law. google " Percy Schmeiser").

GMO versions of tomatoes and potatoes have been created and approved by government regulators, but they are not commercially available, yet that is. And when they are, you can expect cross pollination.

The science behind GMO food is not far enough to say rather its truly safe. In a lot of instances, GMO food is banned
    http://www.nation.co.ke/News/GMOs-banned-as-cancer-fears-grow/-/1056/1626252/-/15tgrvlz/-/index.html

I don't care about the health debate, I just know that I don't want hybrid seeds (unless I know what the plants are being crossed with) and i don't support Mosanto.

I would much rather support a non GMO, non hybrid company.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

GMO = ????????????

• thismembername
    11 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism

Genetically modified organism

". A GMO is a plant or animal that has been genetically modified through the addition of a small amount of genetic material from other organisms through molecular techniques. Currently, the GMOs on the market today have been given genetic traits to provide protection from pests, tolerance to pesticides, or improve its quality. Examples of GMO field crops include Bt-potatoes, Bt-corn, Bt-sweet corn, Roundup Ready soybeans, Roundup Ready Corn, and Liberty Link corn."

wikipedia states
    "There are controversies around GMOs on several levels, including whether making them is ethical, whether food produced with them is safe, whether such food should be labeled and if so how, whether agricultural biotech is needed to address world hunger now or in the future, and more specifically to GM crops�intellectual property and market dynamics; environmental effects of GM crops; and GM crops' role in industrial agricultural more generally."

• leafericson
    11 years ago

thismembername, I agree with you 100 percent!
    Genetically Modified Organisms and Monsanto SUCK! Since they own the seeds they own the crop and you can't sell without paying them their share. I wonder if farms turned non-profit if they could still sell?
    Just curious about "Caribbean Red Habanero" I bought those seeds from baker creek and they claim they do not support GMO, are they paying Monsanto?

Eric

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Without GMOs and Monsanto this planet would be knee-deep in corpses from famine. Just be darn sure you understand what the consequences of an anti-GMO policy would be.

• thismembername
    11 years ago

@Leaf
    i dont work for bakers so i couldnt tell you. I hope not. I support and buy from bakers very often.

check this out
    http://www.garden-of-eatin.com/how-to-avoid-monsanto/
    this shows a list of seed suppliers that are know to work with monsanto or one of its subsidiaries , Tomato Growers Supply is one that they suggest you avoid.

@DMforcier
    I am open for the argument that some GM'ed food is needed. The percentages of corn and soy beans that are GE'ed prove this point. Farmers like plants that dont die. However, it should be tested, safe, and properly labeled as such. Me personally, i have no trouble growing corn, i dont need virus and herbicide resistant corn. Those that do need it, are , generally speaking, strictly commercial.

Im anti Monsanto due to there actions against other farmers. legal action against seed savers is wrong. Patent protection against plants, bleh.

I dont want monsanto knocking on my door because I saved some seed. I also dont want to eat GM food with all the doubts of it being safe.

I dont think that without monsanto we would all perish though. thats a bit of a stretch

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Yea I hope baker creek doesn't screw up, I love them. They offer so many great seeds.
    The only reason farmers are using Monsanto GM seed is because they are forced to. If they don't Monsanto sends their thugs in to toss some GM seed in the field, it grows and cross pollinates with the non GMO plants and the result is GM seed. Then the farmer has a lawsuit against him.

Eric

• farnell
    11 years ago

@ DMForcier

That is a nonsensical argument as it is still knee deep in famine caused corpses.

The GMO's also are the major cause of cancers and other disorders affecting the world.

• farnell
    11 years ago

Oh, and by the way, many parts of the world including parts of Africa and India are banning GMO's. There must be a good reason.

• rdback
    11 years ago

At the risk of getting your thread back on track michelelc, I grow a thai pepper that was collected by a GW member several years ago at a market in Bangkok. I call it Orange Thai - Bangkok Market. Catchy and quite original, don'tcha think lol? Nice heat and nice flavor. I'd be happy to send you some (OP) seeds if you'd like.

Rick

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Wow Rick, your "Orange Thai" looks amazing! Lots and lots on one plant.
    You seem very into unusual peppers. I've got one from a friend in Guyana. Not sure what it is but he calls it bird pepper, says it grows wild there very hot little things. Looks maybe like Hawaiian Nioi pepper not quite sure I haven't grown one yet but I will soon.
    Seeds are viable so if you want some let me know.
    (sorry the picture is blurry I'm having trouble with my camera)

Eric

Sponsored