Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Seed starting sheets

Has anybody used kenaf seed starting sheets?
Lee Valley sells them, 2sheets pack for $5.95 (+tax). Each sheet has 36 squares.

I didn't know what kenaf plant is, here is some info:

U.S. consumers are likely to find kenaf fiber in carpet backing and padding, a fiber mat in automobiles, roofing felt, fire logs, and cardboard. Copy machine paper made with kenaf and 30 percent post-consumer waste is also commercially available in the United States. In Japan, commercial products made from kenaf include hamburger wrappers, fast-food containers, and wallpaper.

Another U.S. company is putting kenaf into composite board in place of fiberglass. Kenaf's strength and low weight make it less likely to shatter or warp under extreme temperatures. (USDA)

Kenaf is in the Hibiscus family and is thus related to both cotton and okra. Originally from Africa, this 4,000-year-old crop was used for its fiber. It has the astonishing ability to grow up to 14 feet in one growing season, yielding 6-10 tons of fiber per acre and making it a great source of pulp for paper.(mother nature network)

Perhaps I am just totally uninformed...
Rina

Comments (3)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Well Rina, I looked around at both the Lee Valley Sheets and Kenaf. It would seem Kenaf is the super crop of the next twenty - thirty years or more!

"Kenaf is cultivated for its fibre in India, Bangladesh, United States of America, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa, Viet Nam, Thailand, parts of Africa, and to a small extent in southeast Europe. The stems produce two types of fibre, a coarser fibre in the outer layer (bast fibre), and a finer fibre in the core. It matures in 100 to 200 days. Kenaf was grown in Egypt over 3000 years ago. The kenaf leaves were consumed in human and animal diets, the bast fibre was used for bags, cordage, and the sails for Egyptian boats. This crop was not introduced into southern Europe until the early 1900s. Today, principal farming areas are China, India, and it is also grown in many other countries such as the US, Mexico and Senegal.
    The main uses of kenaf fibre have been rope, twine, coarse cloth (similar to that made from jute), and paper. In California, Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi 3,200 acres (13 kmò) of kenaf were grown in 1992, most of which was used for animal bedding and feed.
    Uses of kenaf fibre include engineered wood, insulation, clothing-grade cloth, soil-less potting mixes, animal bedding, packing material, and material that absorbs oil and liquids. It is also useful as cut bast fibre for blending with resins for plastic composites, as a drilling fluid loss preventative for oil drilling muds, for a seeded hydromulch for erosion control. Kenaf can be made into various types of environmental mats, such as seeded grass mats for instant lawns and moldable mats for manufactured parts and containers. Panasonic has set up a plant in Malaysia to manufacture kenaf fibre boards and export them to Japan.
    Additionally, as part of its overall effort to make vehicles more sustainable, Ford and BMW are making the material for the automobile bodies in part from kenaf. The first implementation of kenaf within a Ford vehicle will be in the 2013 Ford Escape.[5] The BMW i3 uses kenaf in the black surrounds. [6]
    The use of kenaf is anticipated to offset 300,000 pounds of oil-based resin per year in North America and should reduce the weight of the door bolsters by 25 percent."

As far as the mats go, I have no experience and there were no other responses so I would assume nobody can weigh in. Looking at them I'm not impressed for two reasons, the thinness (Where is the tap root suppose to go?) and the claim of moisture retention which I cannot find substantiated from any other source.

Hope this helps, NECM!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Kenaf fiber is very similar to jute, but maybe superior in strength. One of its uses is to make soil less potting mix. So in this respect it is similar to coconut coir.

Seysonn

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for your remarks. I would think that it is similar to coir, perhaps without 'salt' problem that coir may have (but not all).
    And it does look very thin to me too.
    Nobody mentioned that they tried it.
    I am curious enough to spend $6 to see...
    Rina

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner