Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hothabanerolady

My hot pepper grow list 2014

HotHabaneroLady
10 years ago

Last year my only hot peppers were orange habaneros. This year I plan on changing that. So I'm pretty set on these:

Orange habaneros
Carribean red habaneros
Tabasco peppers
Chinese 5 color peppers

And I'm still thinking about whether to grow the seeds judo_and_peppers sent me for some superhots. But honestly I'm a little scared to grow those. The more I think about them, the more I think how little protection gloves have offered when I cooked other peppers and just how much that can hurt when I put in/remove my contact lenses. But I'm pretty sure that I will end up trying some of them out, so I will have some superhots as well.

And of course sweet peppers too. I'm going with the orange bell this year.

Comments (9)

• peps22
    10 years ago

Numex Jalmundo
    Bolivian Rainbow (seedlings never made it out of the tray last year)
    Chichen Itza "early" Habanero
    Long Slim Red Cayenne (always my go-to)

This year I'm using both a heating mat and thermostat to go along with my growlight. The setup will be in a sunny window. Last year, my seedlings grew horribly slowly. I'm not sure if it was too cool in my apartment (65-70 degrees), I used the wrong soil (barely any fertilizer in the jiffy seed starting mix), or the fact that I relied solely on the growlight, where in past years I used a sunny window.

• pepperchuck
    10 years ago

I've had good luck with nitrile... But then again I don't have to play with my eyes for contacts (yet, getting there quick). You could try rubber dish gloves, less sensitivity but much more protection, but definitely don't let a pesky thing like pain keep you from trying some super hots :). My brain strains I got from judo are some very pretty seedlings right now!

And if all else fails, just talk a friend/spouse/partner into processing them for you :)

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

I recently started wearing contacts. Getting older and glasses would drive me crazy. No matter how much you wash them, they still burn. I learned the hard way, but all you need to do is use a new pair of gloves for your contacts. They actually sell things called finger cotts that look like little condoms for your fingers and they work great for contacts.

• TFortune
    10 years ago

This is my first time posting, but my third year growing peppers. i decided to take the plunge last year and start my own peppers from seed as opposed to buying whatever plants they had at Lowes, and this year I am going all from seed, with the exception of a jalapeno or two. I only have a small grow list since my wife doesn't particularly care for hot peppers, and I couldn't give a fig about sweet peppers, but here it is:

Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain
    Bhut Jolokia
    Peruvian White Lightning Habanero (left over seeds of questionable accuracy from last year, so maybe its something else, I guess I'll know in a few months)
    Orange Habanero (Also seeds from last year, this was supposed to be a jamaican hot chocolate habanero, but definitely turned out to be a plain old orange hab, so that's what I get for ordering from the cheapest seed source on Amazon)

Sweet Datil
    Poblano
    Sweet Banana
    Jalapeno

• seysonn
    10 years ago

My list has expanded a bit this year. Starting from the hot ones they are:

--HABANERO, SERRANO, MANZANO, TABASCO, HUNGARIAN HOT WAX, FRESNO, THAI, CHILACA, CUBANELLE, GYPSY, ANAHEIM,SHISHITO, PEPPERONCIN.

I have already germinated some and the rest is in the process.

It is going to be a MILD season for me.

• Pepper_Luv
    10 years ago

Hi Fellow Pepper lovers,

I am having the hardest time getting my paws on some Weri Weri pepper Seeds. I would also like to experience the Bhut Jolokia peppers... I would appreciate any help

• PunkRotten
    10 years ago

I already got about 10 variety in the ground and pots. Some going on their 3rd and 4th years. This year I am adding:

Tequila Sunrise
    Tolli
    Poblano
    Another Chimayo
    Another Cayenne
    and I want to add something hotter like Habanero.

• Markus_SWE
    10 years ago

I have seeds to more than 70 varieties of chili peppers so I canôt post my list =)

Last year I tried to grow heirloom seeds from around the world to find varieties than can be grown at my allotment.

This year I will continue with Asian types:

A hot pepper from Kerala in India 'chanku kazhappan' (Burn the heart)

'Sri Lanka' picked from a field with chilies on Sri Lanka.

'Cairo' bought in a market in Cairo.

'Kyrgyzstan' seeds that a tourist brought back from a trip along the "Silk Route". Probably from a local farmers market in Kyrgyzstan.

• LJMO
    10 years ago

For sure I will grow
    NuMex Improved Heritage Big Jim
    NuMex Vaquero Japapeno
    San Luis Publano
    Pepperoncini have not chose a particularly variety yet
    I will start from seed indoors. I have a heat mat and I keep my trays covered until the seedlings sprout. I Have built a 4 tier plant stand out of PVC pipe and each layer has its own grow light. This year I am going to add a fan or two to the set up.
    Also I may grow
    Sorano, NuMex Espanola, NuMex Sandia Select 231, Karma, Holy Mole, Redskin, And Guajillo all spending on how much room I have.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors