Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonnoring

Recommendations for 'mild' habanero?

jonnoring
18 years ago

I'm looking for a flavorful, mild/sweet habanero variety to plant this year. I've heard they exist, including some varieties which have almost no heat.

Any suggestions? (And source for seed?)

Thanks!

Jon

Comments (16)

• dereckbc
    18 years ago

Tomato Growers Supply for a source of Aji Dulce #2. It looks and taste like a Red Habanero with little or no heat.

• mister_al
    18 years ago

Try the Venezuelan Sweet Habanero.

Alan

• jonnoring
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, where do I find seed for the Venezuelan Sweet Habanero? Been looking online, but haven't yet found a seed supplier for this variety.

Thanks!

• sam_schulz
    18 years ago

I asked the same question on thehotpepper.com. I ordered the aji dulce #2 (popped in 14 days). looking forward to growing it out. a man with MUCH more experience than I recomended the tabago seasoning pepper. i found something on reimers called the 'trinidad' seasoning pepper (same thing im guessing). both are chinense. hope this helps
    -sam

• byron
    18 years ago

Sam

Don't spend your money at Remiers

If you absolutly Must Have Get some plants from
    www.thechilewoman.com

She has good plants but not seeds

Tell her L,B. sent you

• svalli
    18 years ago

I ordered a Trinidad Seasoning pepper plant from chileplants.com last year. I liked it better than Aji Dulce #2, because it had thicker walls.

St. Lucia Yellow Seasoning has also really good taste.

If you like a little more heat than in the seasoning peppers but not too hot, try Rocotillo. There is also C. baccatum type named Rocotillo, So if you want Habanero taste select C. chinense one.

• lurch_z7
    18 years ago

I have grown NuMex Suave Red's and Orange's for the past couple of years. The red's look just like my Red Habanero's and have the same basic taste to me, minus the extreme heat, They were developed by the Chile Pepper Institute at new Mexico State University. Their NuMex Suave seed web page is at http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/OtherSeeds.htm

I usually give them a telephone call and order seed with a Visa card. Good Friendly Folks.

• cmpman1974
    18 years ago

I am surprised the Chile Pepper Institute sells such a small variety of hot peppers based on their background and mission. I would have expected them to sell a huge amount of unusual varieties. Maybe I don't understand their business model fully.

Chris

• User
    18 years ago

Chris

I think their emphasis is on commercial crops.

• garthdavis
    18 years ago

There is also a mild Chinense type called Trinidad Perfume which has very little heat. Nice looking yellow peppers also.

• lil_rhody
    18 years ago

Trinidad Perfume is an excellent choice although seed suppliers are limited.

Paul B.

• plantersvilletx
    18 years ago

There is also a Jalapeno called "Fooled You" that has absolutely no heat whatsoever. I have fooled many a person by picking one off the plant and eating it without crying. You can find them at Tomato Growers Supply online.
    Cheers
    Chuck B

• opqdan
    18 years ago

I am surprised the Chile Pepper Institute sells such a small variety of hot peppers based on their background and mission. I would have expected them to sell a huge amount of unusual varieties. Maybe I don't understand their business model fully.

Chris
    The Chile Pepper Institute is run my New Mexico State University. NMSU is a land-grant university (set up by the federal government to research agricultural topics, every state has one, usually named [state-name] state university). They study agriculture and horticulture and are funded by the federal government. Their selling of seeds is not a bussiness model at all, simply a side thing for them to do. The real goal is to develop resitant and novel varieties of peppers for commercial farmers. The CPI may have thousands of varieties (probably millions counting all the crosses in testing), but only a few actually make it to commercial growing. If you buy seeds from a distributer, chances are you wil see chiles labeled as "NuMex" signifying that the CPI created them.

I believe I read somewhere that the mild habanero was actually produced by accident, but I doubt that there is a large market (commercially) for such a pepper.

• pecanman
    18 years ago

Totally tomatoes have the FOOLED YOU seed. It has no heat at all but retains the jalapeno taste.

• groovy1
    18 years ago

The 'fooled you' pepper isn't an habanero. As far as sweet habs, I have heard great things about the Venezuelan Sweet Hab, but there are no seed suppliers online, just for plants. I have a small batch of seed which I am starting this year, I am curious what the VSH is going to taste like. I will save seed from it.

I agree with others that the aji dulce #2 and the trinidad perfume are nice. Tomatogrowers.com has both and peppermania.com has the trinidad perfume, along with a recently acquired USDA accession (PI 257123 I think, also known as Colombian Red) which supposedly has less heat than an hab but still some.

I grew the numex suave red and orange last year and the plants were enourmous (orange grew to 5.5 feet tall). I wasn't so crazy about the taste, sort of dull.

From seed savers exchange you can get Tobago Seasoning Pepper, which is different than the Trinidad Seasoning Pepper.

www.tough-love.com has a pepper called an aji brown which is supposed to have no heat and supposedly a chinense, although there is a good deal of debate over whether it is a chinense or a baccatum.

Peppermania used to have an habanero variety called an aji cachuca or something along those lines. You may want to google it to see if you can find it elsewhere.

www.chileplants.com has a large selection of mild habs. Use their search feature and see what comes up!

Hope that helps.

Mark

• oburn
    18 years ago

Tam mild hab

Sponsored