Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

Updates of sick plants

chilliwin
11 years ago

Plant specie: C. Chinense Ghost Red
Soil: Present Al's 5.1.1, number of times I have changed the soil.
Health history: about 3 months ago had Aphid, fungus gnats (minor problems), over fertilized (Lost many healthy leaves).

Present condition: Leaves feel like dry leaf, no softness. May be have problems of white mild dew but I am not sure.
Current treatment: no fertilize, no regular water until it needs.

Picture:
{{gwi:1142265}}

{{gwi:1142266}}

The condition of this plant is getting better than before. However I am requesting any advice to improve it's health. I have 4 plants similar this one.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Caelian

Comments (17)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Hi Caelian,

It's possible that during the several transplantings some soil residue could have gotten on the leaves and when it dried gave the look of white powder. Since the new leaves look great and healthy, I would just take a wet paper towel and whipe the older leaves clean. Now if it comes back then you know there is a real problem. But I just think its dried residue.

Mark

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mark,
    I cleaned it with a soft moisten paper towel but it disappeared and appear again. It looks like more bruise, I do not know it is possible the bruised leaves look like this. It could be fertilizer burn, I did spray on the leaves too.

The second picture's color is the right color of this plant the first one is too green.

Today I have used fan for these 4 plants and the leaves are a little bit soft now.

Thanks,

Caelian

• thismembername
    11 years ago

I would cut off the leaves with the possible mold ASAP to ensure it doesnt spread, isolate the plants that are effected as much as possible, and watch to ensure it doesnt re-occur.

• leafericson
    11 years ago

How much light exposure did these plants receive when you sprayed them with fertilizer?

Eric

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thismembername, I removed the damaged leaves and try to dry the soil as much as possible. The soil is a bit damped.

Eric, not much light they get but the other plants do not have problems except some seedling got leggy. About 2/3 months ago I did spray the leaves. These plants were dormant, only recently these new leaves getting bigger.

The idea of spray fertilizer on the leaves came from a post that mentioned he/she sprayed Super Thrive on the leaves. Now I found that most of the posters do not agree with it.

Regards,

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Other plants,the leaves are not soft, it feels like dry leaves:

{{gwi:1142268}}

The pictures looked better than the real, the color is not this green. The damaged torn leaves I have removed.

What I did for these plants according to our forum members advice (another thread)on over fertilized plants.

1.I replaced the soil.
    2.No fertilization.
    3.Only water when the plants needed.
    4.Left the plants alone.

I lost only one plant.

Over all the results are positive and the plants are getting better than before.

Regards,

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 6:43

• thismembername
    11 years ago

I see. since this is another plant with same symptoms you either have mold/virus spreading, or its they way you are caring for the plants.

You stated you sprayed the leaves with super thrive (if i read correctly). Not that this is bad, but this may be what you are seeing.

As with all things, time will tell. I would stop spraying with fert and see if it improves. and let that soil get dry before watering again

This post was edited by thismembername on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 6:07

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spray fertilizer on the leaves has no beneficiary but damage,I knew now.

Thanks,

Caelian

• leafericson
    11 years ago

This definitely looks like a fungus to me; the best way to treat this is with milk. I would first wipe down the leaves with a milk soaked rag then every day thereafter use at least 10% milk mixed with 90% water and spray the plant entirely, under the leaves stems etc. I have used this method with great success even on the worst cases of powdery mildew on squash plants. It really works, give it a try.

Eric

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eric, thank you for the information. I have milk (3.5% fat)I will try it. I never know milk can use as fungicide.

I got information about baking soda as fungicide too. I have insecticide from Bayer but I am hesitate to use it I had bad experiences before about this insecticide.

Caelian

• leafericson
    11 years ago

I've heard of people using baking soda but I wouldn't recommend it because it will change the PH of the leaf surface way further than it should be causing another condition you don't want. Milk works wonders, it has been shown to be more effective than commercial fungicides and is used on commercial farms to control and eliminate powdery mildew.

Eric

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eric, thank you for the information. Yesterday I did apply the milk and I hope it will be OK.

Caelian

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Caelian, how are the "Ghost" plants doing? It's been 2 weeks since you applied the milk to the leaves. I'm curious to see if there is any improvement.

Eric

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Eric,

Thank you for asking me. The plants are doing fine.

{{gwi:1142269}}

They do not have White Powdery Mildew now, milk worked very well. Your tip is very useful, thank you. Now I stopped milk application.

Two of the plants may have different problems probably "pepper leaf curl virus (PepLCV)". They have grown very slow and do not look natural. I put separately all these plants.

New container gardener,

Caelian

Here is a link that might be useful: PepLCV

• leafericson
    11 years ago

They look much better; no more powder on the leaves.
    Great!

Eric

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Good update!

Josh

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update again:

Two of them the red circled are growing very slow so today I checked the roots, you may have opinion of these roots:)
    {{gwi:1142270}}
    {{gwi:1142271}}
    I cut off the old leaves and repotted in deeper containers.
    {{gwi:1142272}}
    {{gwi:1142274}}

May be they would like to be BONSAI PLANTS :)

The roots are very strong and stems are also big. The containers I used before may be very shallow so they have grown like bonsai.

Caelian

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor