Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themastergardener1

What fertilizer will you use?

TheMasterGardener1
11 years ago

I am just wanting to know what you use for fertilizer for your plants.

Have you made any changes in fertilizer? If so, Why?

I really like all purpose miracle gro.

Well, hoping to hear what everyone uses.

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 18:21

Comments (18)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Here is what I use

MG orchid mix
    MG Organic soil
    Perlite

Mix them all together, the orchid mix has slow release fertilizer so good for the first two months no ferts. Then usually Alaska fish fert 5-1-1. I have used some of the MG Liquid Feed but don't hook it up to the hose adapter. I squeeze the liquid from the bottle into my watering bottle (I don't recommend this method for everyone because of the potential to burn if you add to much)

That's what works for me. I may try Kelp this season.

Mark

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

I use Chili focus and NPK 3-1-4. Still now I do not see any obvious benefit from these fertilizers.

Caelian

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

My garden soil is in good shape with P/K/Ca/S/micros (and I live in an area with summer rainfalls).

I just apply an early season full strength of N and when it's late July/early August I hit them up with a 1/2 strength of N to get them through until the September+ second major flower/pod production session.

• Djole
    11 years ago

For plants in the garden i use 5-3-8 pelleted turkey manure, with moderate to heavy application of grass clippings mulch. For container plants, i mix in osmocote 11-11-19, with additional liquid high potash feeds if required later in the season.

Cheers,
    Djole

• vermiman
    11 years ago

Worm castings and compost gave me 5 foot tall habaneroes that were 3 feet tall when loaded with fruit. I try to feed the soil and not the plant. A healthy soil gives you healthy plants. I do top dress the soil several times a season with the castings. And the peppers get a foliar application of AVCT(aerated vermi-casting tea) at least twice a month.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"A healthy soil gives you healthy plants."

Yes. You can have healthy soil with use of synthetic fertilizer as long as you add some OM. Its called soil management....

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

MG general purpose with micronutes.

I don't care about being "organic", I'm quite happy using chemical ferts.

• mspeppajo
    11 years ago

Hi y'all!!! I am back.... I hope. I have been taking care of my ailing mother 24/7 plus trying to find a new home since October!! We need a rental but there is just nothing out there right now that fits our needs!! I have had Zero time for myself. I haven't forgotten about my peppers though!!!
    What would be the best soil mix for my zone for me to work with? Any suggestions? This is going to be my first year growing peppers(see my list) and with my son Chef JJ helping, I really want this to be a good year!! I have a lot of varieties too, so what do I need to do between the varieties? Any input would be appreciated... Since we are getting down to the final days of my mother's time here with us, I just don't have the time to research like I want to. Also, when should I get my seeds started?
    Thanks so much for your time and assistance. I greatly appreciate it!! ;-)

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea well said, Edymnion.

You can keep a healthy soil by using both organic material and synthetic fertilizer. I know a lot of the chili growers grow in pots, but some grow in ground too. I grow as much in ground in rows as I can...

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 13:15

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Hi MsPeppaJo! Welcome back, depending on what varieties you are planning to grow will determine when to start. I started my Habanero, and Ghost already.

Since you don't have a lot of time see my earlier post and that's a quick easy mix that works great for peppers.

Do you have any lights to support your sprouts until spring?

Mark

• thismembername
    11 years ago

ive heard really great things about osmocote plus, as it has a full range of needed nutrients unlike most MG ferts.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/osmocote-plus-multi-purpose-plant-food/prod140020/

its high in price, my first year using it so i'll see how it goes

• mspeppajo
    11 years ago

Mark, Darlin'! How are ya? Good to hear from you again! Ya know I was thinking I should start some of my peppers soon but wasn't sure which ones, how many, etc. I have the different varieties so I don't know if there is a different start time to the varieties... Phew!
    Right now no I don't have lighting support. We are in a motel room but hope to be in a house soon (couple weeks if not sooner). I think I will go ahead and get my seeds ready to start and check your soil mixture and get ready to get that together. Holy moly... I really want to knock this growing season out of the park I just feel like I can't get my head above water!! I am determined though! So what if I am BALD by this summer!! LOL!!!
    Well, let me go finish some work. Take care and talk to ya later!!
    Jo

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thismembername,

Yup, osmocote plus is a good fertilizer. I like vigoro too.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

The original "slow-release" fertilizers. Worm castings, compost, and manure. They don't need reaplications and they are free.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

In the ground, only organic additions...compost, manure, mulch, et cetera.

In containers, Dolomitic Garden Lime, Osmocote slow-release, and Foliage Pro 9-3-6.

Josh

• vermiman
    11 years ago

sunnibel7, I have one that agrees with me. Years ago I used solely miracle grow. It took several years of worm castings to build up the micro eco-system of the soil.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

In the garden, compost mostly, I have used MG organic fertilizer a couple of times, but, not for a few years.

For the pots, Foliage Pro 9-3-6 or MG (regular or tomato formula, because I have them both on hand). If I use 5-1-1 again this year I will add some Osmocote to the mix as well.

• armac1965
    11 years ago

Any kelp extract or fish based fertilizer.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022