Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Chiero Recife - mild?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I got some of these in the swap and looked it up, supposedly only 1000 SHU. But I found a tiny piece of placenta in the packet, touched my tongue to it and Wow! Definitely as hot as a jalapeno, maybe hotter. I wasn't expecting that. I know the flesh may be milder but just wanted to ask if anyone's grown them (and if the person who donated to the swap wants to identify him/herself), are they pretty mild without the placenta or could this have crossed? Anyway, I've got 6 seeds started so we'll see - good for a mild Habanero Gold jelly if they do turn out on the hot side (esp. since I'm not growing any orange habs this year)!

(FWIW I also found a piece of placenta in the Aji Pineapple, that started me coughing with just a lick and DS agreed he needed to drink something after eating it LOL)

Comments (9)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Well I found two different heat level reports on this pepper which appears to be a C. chinense strain, Hot & Mild. The name also crosses to pimenta de cheiro where the site reports:

A typical example is a chili pepper called pimenta de cheiro. The name means "aromatic pepper" and this chili is one of the most commonly used chilis in traditional Brazilian cuisine, particularly in Brazil's north and northeast regions. Many recipes from Bahia, from Ceará or from the jungles of the Amazon call for pimenta de cheiro. So, assuming you are in Brazil and want to find some pimenta de cheiro for a recipe you're going to try out - how do you find it in the market?

Photos don't help much. If you search Google Images forpimenta de cheiro you'll see photos of many different peppers that don't seem to have much in common. A web search will lead you to sites that provide helpful instructions on identifying pimenta de cheiro like this one: Shape can be long, round, triangular, bell-shaped or rectangular. The mature fruits vary in color from creamy yellow to bright yellow, from orange to salmon, or from red to even black when fully mature. Some are sweet, some are slightly hot and some are very hot. It's aroma is strong...

So that's easy, right? Just look for a pepper that's yellow, rectangular and sweet. Or one that's black, round and very hot. Or red, bell-shaped and slightly hot. In fact, the only characteristic that is common to all these varieties is the aroma. I guess that's why it's called the aromatic chili pepper.

Two more problems cloud the picture even further. A chili that's called pimenta de cheiro in one spot in Brazil might have another name just 20 miles down the road. That doesn't make one's task easier. In fact, the whole thing is so confusing that even botanists can't agree on what a pimenta de cheiro is, so even if you were able to get the DNA from your pepper you couldn't be sure it was a pimenta de cheiro. Some botanists assign the common name pimenta de cheiro to varieties of the species Capsicum annuum while others think that it's actually Capsicum frutescens that deserves the moniker.

So it would seem seed source important and a report from supplier might clear the air.

• gfinnil
    9 years ago

I grew them last year, very prolific, smaller red peppers...definitely as warm or more than jalapeno, nice variety though.
    Jerry

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jerry - not complaining, but in the interest of everyone who got these seeds from the swap, did you donate these seeds? Just want to know what to expect. Thanks

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

I donated some. They should be labeled with my name if they came from me. They are a small red pepper that looks very similar to a sour cherry. My plants grew to about 2-2 1/2 ft and were pretty bushy. They produced 100-150 peppers each. They don't look hot but are definitely hotter than a jalapeno. That 1000 shu is not accurate for is pepper. My seeds were were from peppers that I grew from seeds from TBones that I got in last years swap. I'll look for some pictures, but doubt I have any that are very good.

• gfinnil
    9 years ago

No I got them from elsewhere, don't remember the source...sorry.
    Jerry

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Sorry to put you on the spot - I just pulled the packet out and yes it is from you. I'll correct my records - I was trying to build an Excel sheet of the peppers I currently have seeds for.

But while you're here, I got some of your Mako Akokosrade seeds too. I googled that, found 200K -300K SHU chinense, do you have an idea of DTM? I figured any chinense was going to be 90-120 days?

Thanks

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 21:22

• t-bones
    9 years ago

Ajsmama - glad to know I'm not the only one who picks through seeds to see if I can find a little bit of placenta to taste.

I grew these peppers in 2013 and would agree with jerry âÂÂvery prolific, smaller red peppers...definitely as warm or more than jalapenoâÂÂ. I donated seeds to the swap 2013 and I believe I labeled them as hot. I believe the original seeds came from Peppermania. They were small, red, pointed peppers when ripe, and I made some very nice pepper flakes out of a lot of them. They maintained a nice red color after dehydrating.
    I think I have a picture I will try to post when I locate it.

Good luck with them, I hope you enjoy
    Tim

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

The Mako's were pretty early. I started seeds in late January. They were planted in early to mid may and I had my first ripe pepper on July 15. They put out quite a few peppers as well.Not a very good picture, but it's will give you an idea of what the Mako looks like.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, thanks for the info!

Sponsored