Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkrotten

Superhot noob looking for seeds

PunkRotten
10 years ago

Hi,

so this year I am entertaining the idea of growing a superhot. But I am interested only in growing something lower on the heat spectrum. Something with a fruity or complex flavor as well. What would be some good choices and could you list the scoville rating too? If you have some for trade let me know, I got some pepper and tomato seeds. Thx

Comments (14)

• leafericson
    10 years ago

Hi punkrotten,
    Something lower in the heat spectrum.. hmm.. aren't you giving a lecture in school on peppers soon? It's scoville heat units (SHU). Lol just messing around with you, but seriously study, study, study.
    Plain old orange habs have a very nice citrus fruity flavor. Starfish has a complex fruity flavor that is surprisingly delightful. Also suggested, bishops crown, rain forest, scotch bonnet, etc. If you want the flavor with no heat then Trinidad perfume would be a good choice.
    Since you say your interested in a superhot lower in heat spectrum then maybe you would be interested in something like Caribbean red or west Indian red. All and all, unless you want a death defying burn on it's way in and worse on it's way out, I would suggest any of the others I originally listed.
    Send me an email through gw with your address and a few of those choices and I will be more than happy to send some seeds.
    -Eric-

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

brain strain 7pot. it's a superhot, but no record holder. incredible flavor, and the pepper looks really cool too.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

There's a bit a vagueness when it comes to the term "superhot."

Many consider an habanero or higher on the SHU scale to be a "superhot" I, personally, beg to differ. And I think that's the problem. To ME, a superhot is one where the pain is so much that, even with dairy, the pain just keeps coming and coming -- though dairy does "help."

Let me put it this way -- with an Habanero, I can eat one raw and probably withstand the pain with no dairy for 5 mins. I just don't EVER see that happening with a Bhut, Naga, or 7 Pot --- even though they are only 3-5 times hotter. It's just a whole different world of "hurt."

Having said all this, as mentioned above, the problem of "classification." There are people out there that classify some varieties of Anaheims(totally mild) as being "extra hot."

I'm with leafericson, if you're looking for a VERY hot pepper that isn't NUCLEAR, try to shoot for the Habanero, scotch bonnet family, Maybe fatalii..

Kevin

• TFortune
    10 years ago

The jamaican yellow scotch bonnet has a really good flavor and isn't really that hot, so it would be a decent choice, but I wouldn't really consider it a superhot...I grew them last year and was exceptionally pleased with the flavor, and the fact that I could eat the whole pod without a godawful burning sensation that made wish I was never born was a real plus, as well...

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

to me, superhot means that variety has pods that can reach 1 million SHU or above. a category that does not include habaneros.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I would think Bhuts would be a good choice on the lower end of super hots. 7-pot anything is in the upper end of super hots.

If you want something above your average orange hab, but, not quite to the super hot level, Scotch Bonnet as others have mentioned is unique flavored, Fatalii is another option - again very different flavor, or maybe a chocolate hab. Most all of those are noticeably hotter than a regular hab.

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sent you an email, Leif. Not sure if it went through or is in your junk folder.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Search big pepper list and read destcriptions about they're look, tastes and heat rating. Once you reach a schoville heat rate of 400,000 your mouth is going to be on fire and your butt is going to hate you a day after haha. I personally have not ate a variety of superhots but I have ate a Moruga Scorpion but that is just a crazy burn and stomach pain hours after. If you want some good burn and great fruity flavor get some orange habs. I'm very pumped to grow some Fatalii peppers because a lot of people say they are very hot but have an amazing citrus taste. Good luck and grow hard!

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice. I'll eventually work my way up there. Those Fataliis sound amazing.

• leafericson
    10 years ago

PunkRotten, I got your email. I'll send you some of all of them, just need your address.
    -Eric-

• leafericson
    10 years ago

PunkRotten, I got your email with your address and the seeds will be on there way to you shortly. Please let me know if you got my responce email or not so I can figure out what's going on with my email settings.
    Thanks, -Eric-

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Leaf, I am not receiving emails from you.

• leafericson
    10 years ago

I found out why, at the bottom of your message it says:
    (PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks I changed it now.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting