Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jutsfl

And they're growing well!

jutsFL
10 years ago

Off to a good start this time with the indoor grow box. I've got sprouts from: t.moruga scorpion, pablano, red bell, Carolina reaper, classic red chilli pepper, and hot Hungarian wax. I also have red habanero and tobasco waiting in the germination station at the moment. The oldest in the pic are right at 22 days (from seed in soil).

Can't wait till it stays warm and the all go into the 5 gal buckets!

Comments (7)

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They were all growing with a 125w cfl grow light, but today I added 2 6500K cfl's as an addition. The lamp cords to hang the extras were only 5 bucks at walmart, I couldn't resist.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

They were all growing with a 125w cfl grow light, but today I added 2 6500K cfl's
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why fix it when it works !!!

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn, I know... Why mess with a good thing?!

As my first time with seedlings, I just had the itch to add more light! They are 26 watt cfl's at the 6500K rating, I figure it will just add the the growth ;)
    Time will tell, and I'm hoping for the best.

(I was actually worried though because I am germinating many more seeds, I just wanted enough light for all of them;)

• peps22
    10 years ago

Im curious as to people's success with grow lights. I have the grow light from Hydrofarm. For the first time ever last year, I used the light instead of a sunny window. The plants grew horribly slow. I don't know if it was a lack of real sunlight, the grow light, or the seed starter soil lacking fertilizer that was to blame.

This year, I'm putting the grow light in a sunny window to get the best of both worlds.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Hey JutzFl, I think one thing that would help which you don't need but if you mix your spectrums with blue and red it will help increase growth! Hey Peps, to be honest you really don't need any awesome expensive light sources. As long as you can fit all your peppers directly under flouro tubes then your peppers will grow well. Getting them to mature under these tube flourosents is more tough but if your trying to get them big enough to take outside then these are perfect for growth and cheap. I once had 4x seperate 4' light fixtures with 2x 32w lights and kept them next to each other over the peppers. Might be slow growing but no problems will occur compared to the bigger Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodiums which can get pretty warm and put a nice dent in your bill. Good luck guys hope they turn out well. Don't forget to keep those flouros 2-4 inches above your foliage

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, different spectrums. Do you think it Would it make a noticeable difference? I'm new to the whole start from seed aspect, but not opposed to making things better!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Posted by peps22 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 9:13

Im curious as to people's success with grow lights. I have the grow light from Hydrofarm. For the first time ever last year, I used the light instead of a sunny window. The plants grew horribly slow.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The so -called (Fluorescent) grow light are not meant to grow things faster. It is the temperatures and fertilizers ... that are responsible for faster growing.
    The other thing is to have the bulbs very close to the seedlings. Closer the better.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?