Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thismembername

sprouted seeds and multiple plants, do i seperate, with pic

thismembername
11 years ago

Hey
following some suggestions, when putting my seeds into jiffy pellets i placed 2-3 seeds in each pellet. Now that my plants are sprouted and growing, do i leave the two to three sprouts to grow as is, should i separate them, will one overtake the others?

any suggestions and comments welcome.

Comments (7)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Chances are they all will grow out but one will likely dominate. They might fuse stems as they look very close together. I normally plant 3-4 seeds per starter as you do but I use bigger starters and plant them about an inch apart. Then I pick the strongest looking one and snip the others.

If you want to experiment, let a couple grow multiple stems and in the others cull them to one individual plant.

Yours are about the right size now to make the decision which to cull.
    Bruce

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey bruce,
    thanks for the reply. These are the larger jiffy pellets, and i bought the clear solo punch cups (plastic cups you see in the picture) to move them into next.

I have one t5 fixture that im using that has 2 t5 bulbs, however after all the plants im growing im pretty sure im going to have to purchase another one. hydrofarm has a new fixture out im looking at

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=10658

I think you are right, i'll do a little of both and see what works best. Thanks so much for your comments and ideas.

• leafericson
    11 years ago

After many, many trials and errors I no longer use Jiffy Peat Pots. They are a marketing gimmick and a waste of my hard earned dollars. After soaking in water over night I start all my seeds in a homemade mixture of coconut coir, perlite and mycorrhizal inoculant (for root development). The most important time in any living things life is when it is just born. So the more focus on the seedlings health in early development the better chance of success later on. Yours look a bit 'leggie' and I would suggest replacing if you can. If not then you can separate them and plant them deep, about a half inch till the top of the seedling. That way they will develop a very nice root structure. I would highly recommend a florescent light three inches from the tops of them.
    Just curious, what type of tomato's are these?

Eric

This post was edited by LeafEricson on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 21:24

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yeah, some of my sprouts are leggy, i left them to long in the humidity dome. I have had good look with the jiffy pellets so far, I have some rockwool i'm going to use later in the summer with softwood cuttings.

my next journey however is making a 5-1-1 mix for transplanting.

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Oh ok that makes sense, I've done that before. Can't say Jiffy's don't work I've just had much better results with my own mix.

Love rockwool in my NFT hydroponic setup, I grow lots of lettuce with it.

Not sure where you live but here in New Jersey Diatomaceous Earth is hard to find for the 5-1-1 mix. The only place that I can find that has it is NAPA Auto Parts.

Eric

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

im in zone 7, NC.
    Is your NFT commercially bought or home/self built?
    Yeah, i haven't even started looking for 511 mix ingredients.

I have found the jiffys to be sorta costly, however they are as bad a root plugs / rapid rooters

I have a few jiffy pellets that didn't germinate. Do you save these and mix them into your gardening soil or just throw them out?

• leafericson
    11 years ago

North Carolina, sounds warm...

I've built many of my own NFT systems very easy to do. I've never bought one.
    The key to success with NFT is to add a mycorrhizal inoculant to the water otherwise you will have to deal with root rot.

You could always reuse the Jiffy Peat Pellets that the seed didn't germinate in or just throw them in the garden or compost pile.

What type of tomato's are those?

Eric

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone