Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Sprouted so far

Bill_Missy
11 years ago

Hello Guys,

Just had to post this as I am excited as this is my first year growing super hot's and hot.

Well I have 11 under lights (T-12's) and 9 that just hit the surface today (Gonna put these under light in the morning, still on heat mat)

I am using two types of potting mix. MG Orchid and MG Seed starting mix. About 50 different seeds/different pots per type soil. No ferts at this time just watering with luke warm tap water.

4 Bhut Jolokia
2 sweet Cayanne (Thanks John)
2 Trinidad Congo (Thanks John)
1 Chocolate Fatali
1 Mexican Jalapeno
2 Butch T's (Thanks John)
2 Moruga Trinidad Scorpion
3 Pumpkin Habanero
1 Chocolate Hab
1 Carolina Reaper
1 Dorset Naga

Comments (19)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Bill that's great! Will be interesting to know how the seedlings do in the different soil types. Could you post an updated pic in a few weeks of how they are doing. You have a nice selection of peppers going.

Mark

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

Since last year I have been trying my efforts to grow Bolivian rainbow peppers. i have tried numerous methods, but my problem is damping off always kills them before they live long enough to grow their second set of leaves. This last week I have put yet another method into effect. Eight days later the seed has begun to sprout. It hasn't quite poked its head out of the soil. As always, I hope it will liiiiiiiiive.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Lullaby: in zone 8, you should have a plenty long enough growing season to get them outside soon after germination and still produce by the end of the year. I dont think you will have problems with damping off outside as long as weather isn't too cold or too wet. Grow some so you can get them outside when they are about an inch tall.
    Bruce

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

Esox07

Where I am at, the cold is of not issue. It's almost February & the temperature is 65 during the day. However, when it starts warming up, it's the humidity I am worried about :P

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Lullaby Peppers like humidity especially the super hots. I live in MD zone 7 and we have high humidity and all my peppers love it. As long as you don't overwater while in pots that will keep damping off fungus from setting in. If you do notice it starting sprinkle some cinnamon powder over the top layer of soil. That saved 3 of my plants. I hope you have a great season and the rainbows deliver.

Mark

• mspeppajo
    11 years ago

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I so need to get started with my peppers and I sooo
    can't right now! I wanted my first season to be awesome too!!
    Mark, if I don't have lights to use what do I do?

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

Cinnamon? Hhmmm I have never heard of that trick.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Lullaby it also deters ants, they hate it.

MsPeppaJo, if you have a south facing window that can be good though your plants may get a little leggy. I picked up a shop light and two T 12 bulbs 1 cool white 6500k and the other a GroLux bulb for about $25-30 sales are great shop around.

Maybe in another thread I can post my setup

Mark

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

Habjolokia

I'm glad you told me about the cinnamon. I checked on my peppers, & they were all droopy. I've been down this road far to many times to know the begining of damping off when I see it. I hope the cinnamon helps.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yes, my first year growing peppers, I battled damping off on nearly every plant. I got the cinnamon tip here on this list and it seemed to help a lot. I don't think I lost any plants. You may want to stake plants if they are becoming too weak to stand on their own.
    Bruce

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello everyone.

I thought I would post an update of my seedlings that have sprouted so far. So far only a couple issues:

I had three seedlings that sprouted die. I think this was do to light to soon or light and heat mat combonation.

I noticed today on a couple of my oldest plants I may have a fungus as there is a White sheen on a couple of the older plants.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my plants as of this morning. Thanks for all the help and input I have been given so far.

The first picture is of super hots I planted on 12 Jan 13. (The three smallest ones in this pic where sowed on 25 Jan)

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that the above picture medium is MG seed staring mix.

The below picture is of a few more super-hots and a couple hots. These where sowed 0n 25 Jan using MG Orchid mix. The ones in the Red cups)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Bill Missy, you have a good start there.
    Bruce

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The below pic is of hots and super-hots. All sowed on 29 Jan. The seedlings to the left of the white line are planted in MG Orchid mix and the ones to the right of the White line are planted in MG seed staring mix. The plants have been under light since 4 Feb. Some are real "leggy" and are braced up with toothpicks. Not all have sprouted. Out of 72 "pots" I have 52 sprouts.

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

All of my pepper seedlings died over a week ago. Out of almost foolish determination to have the gratifiction of growing something from a seed...I planted more. Only two have come up so far.

• rodnebridges
    11 years ago

Go Bill ! Lookin' good !!

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

You're going to have an abundance of peppers Bill! Looks like you've got the hang of this.
    Lullaby.... Don't be discouraged. You just need to make sure you have good seed stock. If you do, then it's probably just fine tuning. It may be too much water, or a bad medium. Just post your set up here, and there are a lot of experienced people who will help you figure out what's going on. Never give up doing something you enjoy!

Tim

• LullabyF360
    11 years ago

Peppernovice

I'm TRYING to plant Bolivian rainbow & jalapeno. I'm using Jiffy seed starter mix. Being intuitive, I use the server in our house for the heat source. We have in our laundry room, & we have to keep the door shut & bolted down (there is a large vent in the door, so ample circulation is there), due to robbers prefering the back door. It stays very warm in there, & any kind of seed I place in there usually germinated with in a week. After they have broke the surface of the soil, I put them under a light. All of my other seeds (moon flower, chinese lantern, hollyhock, angel trumpets, & wormwood) are all doing fantastically. Just...not my peppers.

I tried posting a picture, but my internet is being funny today.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Are you sure your seed stock is good? I have a few varieties of jalapeno I could send you. They were donated to me from another member here. I don't have any Bolivian Rainbow, but someone else might. I usually soak mine in water for 30 minutes or so. I then place them in seed starting mix. I have a container that I sit on top of a heat mat. I keep the lid on so I don't lose any moisture.
    This is only one of many ways. I assume you don't have a heat mat. I think your method is fine. Just remember it can take up to 30 days depending on the variety. I usually get impatient after a couple weeks. Just shoot me an e-mail with your address if you want me to send you some jalapeno seeds.
    Good luck!

Tim

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm