Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ozzy2001

Do Habs take longer to germinate?

ozzy2001
9 years ago

I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost all of my superhots I started at the same time have popped already.

Comments (10)

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

OH YEAH - they sure do - at least in my experience!

• willardb3
    9 years ago

Germination for all varieties can take from 2 to 120 days.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I agree with Lori. But, you know what's funny, the longest germination seems to be with my NeMex Twilights, or Tepins, they both took around 4-6 wks this year, the Tepins took 8 wks.

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    9 years ago

I suppose people have differing experiences. For me the habs and supers were the first to germinate. The saying "your mileage may vary" couldn't be more true in this regard.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think there could be few contributing factors affecting germination time:

1- seed age and dryness
    2- Germinating temperatures.
    3- Insufficient moisture and/or keeping a consistent level.
    4- Depth at which seeds are sown.

WORST Scenario:
    You have old and bone dry seeds: You bury them too deep: They are not kept moist uniformly: The ambient temps are low.

My own limited experience, 8 days is the median and 14 days is max. Just recent got some super hots germinate in 5 days.

My Tepin (from sore bought pod) took 7 days.

Seysonn

• Djole
    9 years ago

Seysonn summed it up nicely. I'd just add pepper class into the equation - C. Annuum tends to take the shortest time to germinate, while C. Chinense usually takes longest (IME especially Bhuts, which are considered to be C. Chinense x C. Frutescens).

However, all superhots are C. Chinense, and so are Habs, so it doesn't relate to your case. Just wanted to look knowledgeable and helpful :)

Djole

• ozzy2001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol yea Djole my bhuts were the first to pop. I have MOA, Reapers, Morugas, Butch Ts as well that have popped. The choc Hab seeds I have were from Buckeye peppers which I've read is pretty good. I've had one choc Hab pop from our swap but that's it. I've also had 2 white Hab seeds pop from the swap too.
    I put some more seeds in a container on some paper towels. I'm gonna see how they go. Im starting to wonder if I damamged some of the other seeds somehow, although I doubt it since I've had nearly everything else come up.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

My first batch of habs took two weeks to sprout on a heat mat.

The next batch I soaked in water for two days. Then planted. Sprouts happened in 6 days for 2 of 4. The other 2 sprouted on day 8. (Big Sun Hab.)

• Big Kahuna
    9 years ago

If you'd asked me this question last year I would have said yes, since one of the types of habs I grew last year took 26 days to pop.

But this year my germination times are all over the map.

I'm growing four different types of habs this year, quickest type to germinate was 6 days (Peruvian white), slowest was 19 days (black stinger).

Similar story with my bhuts, growing six types and the quickest type was 5 days (white), slowest was 15 days (chocolate).

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Yeah. I think germination time is not a variety related issue.
    In one batch the HOTTEST one (trin. Scorp..) germinated the fastest. When the seeds go into a longer dormancy, the longer it takes to wake them up. That is what we know as "OLD SEEDS".

Seysonn

Sponsored