Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best Pot size?

Posted by caghan (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 22:10

Hi Chilli lovers,

I am growing Habs and Jals this year in 25cm pots, considering growing caynes and others next year.

I like growing them in pots as I don't like weeding he he.

I was wondering if 25cm pots are sufficient to get maximum results out of my chillies? If not what is the maximum size required?

Thanks, In advanced

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best Pot size?

• Posted by sndk 10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 22:34

sounds fine, although some habs are made for potting (peach from SSE comes to mind)

I grow mostly in pots, but I dont know the inches offhand, I go by gallons. I have a bunch of 1 gallon pots for transitory storage of plants, and some 5 and 6 gallon pots for production.

dont give growing in pots a second thought.

o

I have found that most peppers do well in 3 gal pots, with no sign of being rootbound my the end of the season, and smaller ones do well in 2 gal pots. The largest ones - habs, some frutescens, or other 4 footers - I put in 4 gal pots, and, again, no sign of being rootbound; though in 3 gal pots these grow and produce well, they are very solid when removed from the pots, which is what prompted me to put them in larger pots. It seems almost like 1 gal/ft of height is a good guage, though some are much bushier, so this is just something to start with.

Dave

o

• Posted by honu z11 HI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 1:56

Just to give an idea, 6 gallons is approx 1 ft diameter (about 30 cm), and about 1 ft deep pot. I plan to put my most of my peppers in this size pot, except I understand the white hab will want much bigger (if mine ever sprouts).

o

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 16:56

The yeild will be higher in 5 to 7 gal pots.

o

I grow all of mine in pots. Most in 12", some in 10", and a few in 14". Usually I use the largest pots for those baccatums that get very tall as it is easier to support them in larger pots.I too have not had a problem with plants becoming pot bound.

John

o

I agree with Byron that 5-7 gallon pots should be used for the ones you grow for production. Ornamentals can be put in small 1-2 gallon pots or smaller.

I've grown some peppers in small (1-3 gal) pots that were healthy, and fairly productive, but I really had to work hard to keep them watered (and fed), and the production was less per plant than the ones I grew in the larger pots.

Alan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here