Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat mat for seedlings

Posted by bberkmor 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:13

Quick question, How long do you guys keep using your heat mats on seedlings after they have sprouted. Do you cycle it on and off with the lights? How does it affect your growth? My seedlings have mostly popped thanks to Ottawapepper and this is my first year with the heat mat. I used the peat pellets (first) and not to impressed with them so far, I can't wait until I can transplant into some regular soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat mat for seedlings

This is my first year w seedlings, but I take them off right after they sprout, and switch to only lights at that point. Until now I've always grown from prestarted plants, but from what I have gathered the heat mats could make them leggy if kept on after sprouting.

Then again I live in FL, so the temps aren't too cold by any means. Suppose I would actually utilize a heat mat longer if it were to be drastically cold inside (or where ever they may be germinating).

o

I agree . Heat mat is just a soil heater for fast and efficient seed germination. Once the seed is germinated it needs light and of course moderate amount of ambient temperature. With an air temperatures of 60F and higher, there is no need for heating up the soil. That is how the normal soil temperatures are outdoors in spring time. However, if you want faster growth rate, you can raise the ambient temperatures to up to 85F.

jmo

o

Agree with the above posters. By the way, peat pellets are not a good idea. Better to use a proper starter mix to get good drainage. Most mixes have peat in them, but pure peat is something no nursery would use.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 16:14

It seems a lot of people have good luck with the peat pellets but a couple things to consider. First, you will want to transplant them very soon after they sprout. This isn't something you should be growing peppers in two or three weeks after sprouting. Second, you have to watch them real close and make sure they don't dry out completely and conversely, you don't want to over water them. Pure peat is hard to control the moisture content on. I would suggest a simple starter mix with perlite and/or bark to start your seeds. And if you use something like the common 3.5" starter cells, you won't have to transplant them for many weeks after sprouting. But I digress. I agree, the heat mats can be removed soon after the seedlings emerge unless the room temps are too low. Anything above 60 should be fine.
Bruce

o

bberkmor, good to hear most of your seeds have popped (sprouted I hope!).

I too pull the plug on my mats after my seeds germinate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here