Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafericson

Winter Blues Anyone? What's one to do..

leafericson
11 years ago

Here on the east coast (New Jersey) it's cold and depressing outside. Every winter I seem to lose my mind waiting for spring to come. For life to breath back into the earth and consume my time. I sit there reviewing my seed stock over and over again, imaging those tiny seeds becoming a magnificent plant. I get a little crazy and start growing plants in a closet that's way too small just to see some green life. Oh the smell and warmth of the summer air, man oh man I wish I had a greenhouse. The house is spotless, the dishes are done, the mall is too expensive, a thousand channels on TV and there all boring, Great the cat just hacked up a hairball on the carpet now I've got something to do... Anyone else feel the same?

Eric

Comments (26)

• Djole
    11 years ago

After reviewing my seed stock over and over again for some time, i then started showing it to my friends, over and over again...

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

Nope.... Sowing seeds and enjoying counting seeds and planning my grew list. Just got done buying a heating mat with a thermostat. Cats running around, football is over for tonight, Beer is almost gone and I have to be at work in 5 hours.... Come on seeds grow so I can talk crap to those that live in the North :)

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alright cleaned up the hairball on the rug, back to the seeds and plants. Anyone have any picture of seedling starting out for the spring or some plants already growing? Here's my first Butch T's and Ghost for the season started out Christmas day.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I can't stand the cold, I would rather be in tropical climate. They say layers who want to wear all that crap just to stay warm. I started seeds Jan 12th. I joined seed swaps to keep me busy sorting and bagging and tagging. Reading and posting on GW and looking for wild peppers that I plan to grow the 2014 season keeps me busy during the cold east coast winter.

I wish I had seedlings now like you have, soon though I will.

Mark

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

This might be considered mean Eric. But one of the nicest things around, sitting out in the greenhouse, wearing sweats, boots sitting at the door, I've put my moccasins on by now, sitting at my potting bench, potting up pepper seedlings while it snows outside.

Yeah, that was a couple of years ago, this weekend I'm in the greenhouse in a t-shirt, flip flops, doors open and sweating. So, no winter blues here, too busy potting up and starting seeds.

Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Well, High of 2 degrees here today so I am just staring at seeds.
    Bruce

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I am using the time to make seriously detailed garden plans, though partly that is necessary so I can give a timeline to the restaurant for various produce. But I also enjoy it. I used to do things like draw and paint in winter, there did tend to be a heavy emphasis on flowers and veggies in those... Take heart, though it may get colder for a while, the days are steadily getting longer!

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pam, you rubbed it in alright (sigh). I've worked at a few farms in the past and every winter I can just feel that warmth of the greenhouses still fresh in my mind. Today is a great day to go to the New York Botanical Gardens; I just don't have the extra cash to do so. I am so jealous; post some warm picts in the greenhouse for all of us that don't have one if you can.
    Thanks, Eric

This post was edited by LeafEricson on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 12:09

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Sorry, that was mean of me. I'll try to take some photos, see if I can upload, never had problems in the past but the last time I tried to upload it just wouldn't work for me.

YOW! 2 degrees, and we were complaining cos it dropped from 60 over the weekend to 41 today.
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yah, I just hope this is the last of the real winter weather. It has been relatively mild so far this year but we are feeling Old Man Winter this week.

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TUESDAY...

* WIND CHILL VALUES TONIGHT AND TUESDAY MORNING WILL BE THE 20 BELOW TO 35 BELOW ZERO RANGE. THE COLDEST OF THE WIND CHILLS WILL BE BETWEEN MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND 9 AM TUESDAY MORNING.
    And we are not even in the norther part of the state.

Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I feel bad for complaining when I think about the weather in MD compaired to what Bill has to deal with up North North way up North!

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quote "An arctic blast will bring the coldest weather that the Garden State has seen in several years this week due to suddenly warming temperatures miles above the North Pole". Funny how the North Pole melts and we freeze. Looks like it's only going to get colder.

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just saw that, man thats cold. I feel much warmer now. We should get some snow soon then I can take my son out sleigh riding, thats always fun.

Eric

• pretty.gurl
    11 years ago

I have veggie plants growing in the house. I start seeds once a month. Don't let winter stop you.

This post was edited by pretty.gurl on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 20:38

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice pretty.gurl, I wish I had some more space. Big back yard, small house no garage or basement. I've got two cats who love to tear up any plant I have while I sleep. However I do have three nice tomato plants in the closet lit with cfl's and some new hot pepper seedlings on a shelf in the back room so all is not too bad:)

Eric.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I used to keep my peppers in the closet too, but now I sleep with them under my pillow.

Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Well Eric, big back yard? sounds like it's time for a greenhouse. :-) How about making some pepper juice to spray on the plants, make them unappetizing... maybe garlic juice? Or wine... Not sure about cats, but most of my dogs do NOT like the smell of wine... then I have a couple of boozers that will take it out of my hand.... just a thought. Chop up some jalapenos and put on the soil? Do you have a room you can close off to the cats? Guess you already thought of that.

Glad I don't live in Ottawa. My sister lives in Madison, so I guess she's getting to enjoy the cold with you Bruce.

Pam

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

I used to keep my peppers in the closet too

Now now Bruce, your peppers will be much happier if you just let them be who they are.

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

LeafEricson, nice seedlings.

Rocoto De Seda, the container is big for seedling, my mistake.
    {{gwi:1143555}}

Tabasco
    {{gwi:1143556}}

Both of them I repotted in 5:1:1. I do not use light regularly.

Caelian

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pam, that is a great idea! All those years growing hot peppers and I never thought of spraying my plants with pepper juice to keep my cats away. I've heard of it to keep the animals away but I didn't associate it with my cats. Wine definitely does not work for my cats, if I leave a glass out he will take a sip.

Caelian, the Rocoto De Seda looks really nice. I never heard of that pepper before. I'm very interested, how is the heat level and the flavor?

Eric

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Eric, this is my first time grow. The seller's website said:

"Rocoto the Seda - C. pubescens Very large vigorous growing plants. The fruits are large, juicy and thick fleshy with a fantastic flavor and aroma. They ripen from dark green to orange. The plant lends itself very well to winter and is fairly tolerant to cold (not freezing) Strength 9"

The picture is from the seeds seller's website.

{{gwi:1143557}}

Picture from the Net:
    {{gwi:1143558}}

Caelian

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very pretty flower.
    They sound hardy like my "Black Knight Peppers C.annuum" suprisingly they come back every year despite being frozen in the ground all winter.
    Maybe if you put a lot of mulch down it will come back every year.

Eric

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Thank you for the tip.

Single cotyledon Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow:
    {{gwi:1143559}}

Caelian

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Here in winter everyone seems to me gloomy, I hardly saw smiling faces. Around 4/5 PM the streets are deserted, everyone confines at home.

Sometimes my neighbor's cat visited me in the middle of the night. I have fun with her, she is very friendly sometimes she messed up with my seedlings. She knows she made a mistake immediately looking for the door, I love her consideration.
    {{gwi:1143560}}

She likes to stay with me, in fact we are not allowed to leave cat outside but she escapes from her house somehow many times and came to my room.

I am tired of waiting the spring some of my seedlings got leggy due to the lack of lights. It is a mystery to me why some of my seedlings do not grow like Habanero, Goronong and Orozoco. Ghost, Scorpion, Rocoto De Seda, Wild Tepin, Aji Chuncho and Fatalii etc are growing too slow, I do not know the reasons, is it light or heat or nutrients!
    {{gwi:1143561}}

I started to fertilize all these new seedlings since last week.

Something is missing in the winter all the time, may be it is winter blue. I enjoy my time by reading and posting in this forum. This forum is more than just a hot chili forum. If anyone asked to me how but I cannot explain it.

Caelian

• leafericson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your plants look great! I don't think they even need fertilizer yet, nice and green. Mine are growing slow too I guess they always do in the begining, then all of a sudden they are too big.

Hey she looks just like mine. His names "Fatcat" he's been big since he was a kitten now he weighs 20 pounds. I don't know why but he likes to sleep on his back.

Eric

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Since last 2/3 days we got sunshine it's really good for my plants. I expected they should grow faster. Due to the early sow-time I think a lot of my plants.

You chose the right name of your cat, he looks like the boss of the house, really lovely.

Caelian

Sponsored