Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dereckbc

Mold and Seed Starting

dereckbc
18 years ago

I hear a lot about green mold and damping off with seedlings here and thought I might share a tip I tried last year. Just sprinkle some cornmeal over the top of your soil medium after you set the seeds. It prevents mold and fungus, plus acts as a very mild fertilizer.

Comments (11)

• honu
    18 years ago

Dereck, Thanks for the good tip! I didn't know it was ok to use before germination.

• dereckbc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I didn't have any problems, bu tkeep in mind only tried it once last year with good results

• John__ShowMe__USA
    18 years ago

I rather like the green mold. Personal quirk I guess. Used to get it all the time when used Miracle Gro potting mix with jiffy pots. Never ever had a capsicum damp-off problem though. (that I can remember)

• fruitopia
    18 years ago

im using jiffy pots and miracle gro also and i have this white mold on top too, i have no circulation where the seeds are. Is this mold going to affect plant growth? Also how do I get rid of it if it is damaging? Thanks

Matt

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    18 years ago

For kicks I tried the moist paper towel/napkin in a plastic ziplock baggie set on top of the refrigerator for 10 days to germinate. It used to work great, but this time the black mold ruined the seeds.

I tossed the moldy seeds and the paper mess into a Rubbermaid tote with excess soil and covered it and maybe a few will sprout still. Probably over 100 seeds.

• willardb3
    18 years ago

snip
    For kicks I tried the moist paper towel/napkin in a plastic ziplock baggie set on top of the refrigerator for 10 days to germinate. It used to work great, but this time the black mold ruined the seeds.
    snip

I germinate just like that very successfully.

I have not had any pathogens since I learned to wash my hands before I start.

• DesertDreamer
    18 years ago

A tiny amount of chelated iron on the surface of your seed starting material will take care of fusarium, which is usually fungus that does the damage.

• honu
    18 years ago

dereck, Thanks for the great tip about cornmeal. It worked on my stubborn tomato seeds, which didn't sprout after 3 weeks. Actually I was about give up, put a thick layer of cornmeal on the sprouting surface in case there was a fungal problem, let it dry out, and intended to throw it in the compost pile, but didn't get around to it. A week later, a healthy sprout showed up. I think the cornmeal acted as both fungicide as well as added some nitrate ion, which may have enhanced germination. Will now try this on some stubborn pepper seeds.

• chiliecup
    16 years ago

I have a thin layer of white mold and my plants just started getting the true leaves. I have a few strong starts should I worry about the mold or should I try putting some cornmeal down?

• chefsean
    16 years ago

From what I've read the white mold is no big deal and will go away once you set the seedlings outside. I had some white mold near my seedlings so I scaled back watering a little and set a fan nearby. It's almost gone now. If it gets thick just gently scrape it off with a knife. I love the cornmeal idea, I'm gonna try that.

• trish48_epix_net
    13 years ago

Some of my saved seeds from last year are moldy. Are they OK to use or will it affect the squash in any way? I washed them well after gathering them and I let them air dry on a paper towel set on a rack; but, apparently, they were still moist when I put them in zip lock baggies to store over Winter. It's a brownish gray mold that's covering the seeds. Will the squash be edible if the seeds do sprout and can be planted?
    Thanks for your help.
    Trish

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County